Suspended recumbent offroad?

Old August 14th 06, 11:03 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent

Default Suspended recumbent offroad?

Anybody ever try riding a recumbent with full suspension on a mountain
bike trail? I was looking at a Cannondale Bent 1 and it looked like it
might be able to handle some offroad stuff.

Old August 15th 06, 12:05 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Al K

bentrideronline.com has threads on this
al k
oups.com...

Old August 15th 06, 03:02 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent

Johnny Sunset aka Tom Sherman wrote:
wrote:
Anybody ever try riding a recumbent with full suspension on a mountain
bike trail? I was looking at a Cannondale Bent 1 and it looked like it
might be able to handle some offroad stuff.

As long as the front wheel can climb over an obstacle, you should be
fine. Otherwise, at least a partial dismount is in order.

Depending on your leg length, arm strength and weight, it may be
possible to partially un-weight the front wheel or even do a minor
"wheelie" (I was able to do so on a test ride of a standard frame size
BikeE FX).

I suspect your best approach would be to stick to the trails rated as
"easy" and/or "beginner", unless you want to do a lot of dismounting
and walking.

I wonder how it would do on short, steep, technical climbs? Since you
have a low center of gravity it might be easier to find the balancing
point between unweighting the front and rear wheels. I would think the
problem would be not being able to maintain enough speed to keep the
bike upright.

I've never owned a bent, but have been seriously thinking about getting
one. I'm probably not going to get a suspended bike. I'm leaning
towards a Bacchetta Giro 20. I live right next to a research park that
has miles of roads that are empty in the evening. Although I like to go
fast I don't like driving in traffic, I'll take sidewalks, parking
lots, anything to keep from having to drive with cars.

Old August 24th 06, 03:24 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent

msf wrote:

Bottom line - when you ride a real mountain bike you have thick and
deep treaded tires, a very maneuverable bike on which you can use your
weight and strength to do things like wheelies, pulling wheels over
obstacles, etc. You can also dismount cleanly (usually) when about to
crash.

I think you're right. I don't think a bent will work on trails very
well.

I just put a delta stem riser on my mountain bike to raise up the bars.
It's much better, but I still get uncomfortable. I'm in a transitional
phase right now. Not sure if I want to give up my mountain biking, but
a recumbent looks soooo comfortable. The problem is that I am limited
in where I can ride it.