Adventure Cycling Maps SUCK!

Old August 17th 06, 03:40 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.rides,rec.bicycles.soc,nyc.bicycles,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
NYC XYZ

Default Adventure Cycling Maps SUCK!

Kristian M Zoerhoff wrote:

[massive list of groups trimmed]

[Pertinent x-posting restored.]

Um, tourists looking to eat?

What's wrong with asking around once you're there? Sure saves on
having to amend things everytime some joint moves or closes.

These are meant for touring, not for detailed
commuting-type usage or for side trips.

Really cuts down on their utility. Especially since "touring"
ordinarily involves "side trips" -- the charm of adventure is
discovery, but the point of a map is to take care of some of the
"logistics" of that.

Plain paper is probably to keep costs
down. Get a large zip-top bag or a map holder from REI, and they'll be
protected.

Oh come on, some one has the money to do a bicycle tour but doesn't
have money for a good quality map?

They're meant to map a single route, not an entire area in detail. And if
they're too big, they won't fit standard map holders. I can't imagine trying to
mount a spiral-bound notebook to my handlebars, though I'm sure /someone/ has
done it.

Sure you can -- it's only a few panels per map. Besides, just what
good are such small map panels, then, on a handle-bar mount??

Methinks your expectations were high. That's not generally a bad thing, but in
this case, they seem to be a bit higher than warranted.

I dunno..."adventure cycling" connotes "rugged" to me, not "plain
paper" or "small maps" or "pretty general info"....

--

__o Kristian Zoerhoff
_'\(,_

Do these maps have no competition, then? Absolutely none?? 'Cause God
forbid you actually have an adventure and wander off the itinerary!

Old August 17th 06, 05:10 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.rides,rec.bicycles.soc,nyc.bicycles,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
NYC XYZ

Rick wrote:

1) All paper is not created equal. The paper we wrote notes on in a
previous career was constructed so that it became 'oatmeal' when
exposed to liquid - good for its purpose. The paper that Adventure
Cycling uses for the maps is waterproof. Not plain paper ...
waterproof paper.

Glad to hear this. Still too easily damaged. This ain't an auto-map
for use in a car, after all. We're talking adventure cycling!

2) Some of us do like to stop at restaurants, at least on occasions.
The maps are not just for the oatmeal and gruel crowd.

This information is easily available. Just clutters up the map, and
necessitates updating.

And if they are bigger or spiral bound into a book how would you fit
them into your handlebar map holder?

What I'd meant by "bigger" was the map panels. No reason to be so
small. Each panel could be the size of that handlebar map holder, and
spiral-bound for convenience when it comes to changing the panel.

And how useful is Google Maps from the handlebar of your bike?

I was referring to researching a route, typically done before the
expedition.

But why is everything done from the handlebar of the bike? And if they
are, how come those maps (i.e., map panels) are so friggin' small???

- rick

Old August 17th 06, 05:48 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.rides,rec.bicycles.soc,nyc.bicycles,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
NYC XYZ

Ron Wallenfang wrote:
I have a rather different take. The maps are fine; it's the routes I didn't
especially like. IMHO, their routes take too many secondary roads that, on
the whole, are rougher, hillier, more bereft of services, and with a greater
incidence of aggressive dogs, than the US highways I prefer. That's a big
price to pay to get reduced traffic, and I'm far from convinced it's any
safer, because the US highways usually have at least partially paved
shoulders. My "ideal" route is a US highway running rather near an
Interstate. The I road gets the thru traffic, the US highway is still a
good road, the width of the right of way and amount of traffic deters dogs,
and the motels and other services at the I-exits are readily accessible.

Interesting!

Hmm...now I'm really curious...I wonder if there should be different
editions of these maps...rougher and hillier? Interesting.

Old August 17th 06, 10:18 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.rides,rec.bicycles.soc,nyc.bicycles,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent

your handlebars. Me, I just remember key junctions and turns. Spend
my time looking around, you know?

Like when you were tooling around in the office when you got your new
'bent?

"Let's see, right at the water cooler, past the johns, right at HR and
a long straight and I'm back! Hmm.. Interesting perspective from down
here..."

;-P

Joseph

Old August 18th 06, 03:48 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.rides,rec.bicycles.soc,nyc.bicycles,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Edward Dolan

"NYC XYZ" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]
just use any old road map you happen to have. or just a road
atlas. that will be real easy to read as you are riding.

The old Gousha state maps the gas stations used to give you for free were
the best maps ever. Rand McNally never knew how to make a map that anyone
would ever want to look at.

That's another thing -- you people actually mount a goddamned map on
your handlebars. Me, I just remember key junctions and turns. Spend
my time looking around, you know?

Screw that handlebar crap. Carry your maps in your panniers and stop and
check them out when you need to. Anyone passing by seeing you looking at a
map will want to stop and help you out. It will give you an opportunity to
have some very nice conversations with the locals. All locals take a certain
pride in their locality and will be delighted to tell you more than you will
ever want to know provided you show some interest and enthusiasm. Isn't that
what adventure cycling is all about? Be sure to thank them whether you have
obtained any useful information or not.

Regards,

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
aka

Old August 18th 06, 08:33 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.rides,rec.bicycles.soc,nyc.bicycles,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
R Brickston

On 17 Aug 2006 14:03:08 -0700, "NYC XYZ"

And you are somewhat of an idiot.

Well, you're definitely a pussy since you can't properly insult someone
without tip-toeing about it.

The maps are indeed on paper but you can spill coffe or most anything
slese on them and it wipes riught off so I really doubt that you evevn
have them.

Yeah, the first thing I do when I get a map is spill water on it to see
if it's waterproof.

Should I try burning it, too?

They are meticulously researched for the best routes for cyclists to
take.

Ayup, all that meticulous research in a 3x4 inch panel. What, there's
a shortage of waterproof paper, or are adventure cyclists really cheap
*******s?

the next time you ride cross country wihich is proibably rather
unlikely.

Yeah, I don't wear spandex or helmets or gloves or clipless shoes.

just use any old road map you happen to have. or just a road
atlas. that will be real easy to read as you are riding.

That's another thing -- you people actually mount a goddamned map on
your handlebars. Me, I just remember key junctions and turns. Spend
my time looking around, you know?

You gave yourself away; you've never been on a real bike trip.
Old August 18th 06, 09:53 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.rides,rec.bicycles.soc,nyc.bicycles,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Edward Dolan

"R Brickston" rb20170REMOVE.yahoo.com@ wrote in message
On 17 Aug 2006 14:03:08 -0700, "NYC XYZ"
wrote:

[...]
That's another thing -- you people actually mount a goddamned map on
your handlebars. Me, I just remember key junctions and turns. Spend
my time looking around, you know?

You gave yourself away; you've never been on a real bike trip.

A real bike trip is only 50% enjoyment. The other 50% is pure aggravation.
This is why tourists pay the big bucks to others to look after them. No one
should ever go on a bike trip unless you have a sense of adventure. It is
mostly something that only a young person should do. By the time you are my
age you are permanently ****ed off at just about everything and are no
longer fit for travel of any kind.