Adventure Cycling Maps SUCK!

Old August 22nd 06, 05:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.rides,rec.bicycles.soc,nyc.bicycles,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
NYC XYZ

Default Adventure Cycling Maps SUCK!

Why is logic so amazing? Logic is pretty lazy, if you think about it.

R Brickston wrote:

Damn! You're absolutely right, yet *again*. Amazing.

Old August 22nd 06, 06:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.rides,rec.bicycles.soc,nyc.bicycles,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
R Brickston

R Brickston wrote:

Damn! You're absolutely right, yet *again*. Amazing.

He's right again. This guy is batting 100%.
Old August 22nd 06, 06:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.rides,rec.bicycles.soc,nyc.bicycles,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Rick

NYC XYZ wrote:

Either your sense of direction or your sense of spatial relations
is impaired.

Obviously, you have no imagination. We'd never even gotten the wheel
were the world full of folks like you ("wheels? I have feet!"), much
less the bicycle.

I prefer to follow the road. The map is only a reference tool.

I am talking about researching the trip beforehand.

And a reference tool should be as simple as possible. Flipping around
little 2x4 panels (they're even smaller than I'd thought) from one to
the other to orient north and then connect it in one's mind with
another "differently-oriented" panel should be be at a cut-off from one
panel to the next does not sound very "handy" to me.

Sheesh, this is too easy. To quote you: "obviously, you have no
imagination." Forget being able to spatially organize information,
etc. which some folks find trivial. If you are talking research let me
give you a big hint of how to use the Adventure Cycling route
information ..... all organized in a neat package showing the whole
route or any one section at any time.

1) Go to the AC website.
2) Download the GPX version of the mapsets.
3) Get Google Earth and install.
4) Import the AC mapsets into Google Earth.

Viola! A perfect pre-trip research tool for the route. Zoom in, zoom
out, fly around, look at it in 3D. Works great.

Hey, you've gotta make a choice. A compact map that takes a slight
mental effort on your part to use, or a large map with contiguous
routing information.

Those are not the only options. As I've outlined already, it can be a
book -- the particular dimensions aren't important now, and can always
be modified as "field requirements" dictate.

Books do not work well in map holders. Books tend to be heavy, esp
since you want them printed on heavy, tear proof and waterproof paper.

Since when is responding to you people "grousing on and on"?

Oh, I get it, I'm supposed to ignore you morons.

There is a difference between responding and grousing. You want things
your way. You are apparently in the minority if this thread is
representative, yet you think the world should mold to your view.
Rather than ignore the wisdom of others you resort to name calling. We
shall all be better off if you do ignore us.

- rick

Old August 22nd 06, 07:19 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.rides,rec.bicycles.soc,nyc.bicycles,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Bill Sornson

Rick wrote:

Viola! A perfect pre-trip research tool for the route.

A resonant stringed instrument usually played with a bow?

Bill "sarcams mode" S.

Old August 22nd 06, 08:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.rides,rec.bicycles.soc,nyc.bicycles,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
NYC XYZ

You're not so bad yourself now.

"25 cents, please."

Old August 22nd 06, 09:01 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.rides,rec.bicycles.soc,nyc.bicycles,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
NYC XYZ

Rick wrote:

Sheesh, this is too easy. To quote you: "obviously, you have no
imagination." Forget being able to spatially organize information,
etc. which some folks find trivial. If you are talking research let me
give you a big hint of how to use the Adventure Cycling route
information ..... all organized in a neat package showing the whole
route or any one section at any time.

1) Go to the AC website.
2) Download the GPX version of the mapsets.
3) Get Google Earth and install.
4) Import the AC mapsets into Google Earth.

Viola! A perfect pre-trip research tool for the route. Zoom in, zoom
out, fly around, look at it in 3D. Works great.

Yes, thank you -- but wouldn't it be great for the maps to be like most
spiral-bound auto-maps, only for bikes? It's really not very
controversial: laminated and bound for durability, large enough for
glancing pleasure and inclusion of any alternate paths, all map panels
oriented the same way ("north" is "up")....

Books do not work well in map holders. Books tend to be heavy, esp
since you want them printed on heavy, tear proof and waterproof paper.

No, not true. Obviously I'm not talking the OED here -- even with
lamination, not even a quarter of an inch will be enough to contain the
AC maps as they are divided now!

There is a difference between responding and grousing. You want things
your way.

So if I want them *your* way, I'm not "grousing" but merely
"responding"?

Of course I want them *my* way -- am I supposed to speak for God?

You are apparently in the minority if this thread is
representative, yet you think the world should mold to your view.

Hey, bicyclists are minorities to begin with. Most people think bike
paths a waste of tax dollars, and bicyclists annoying speed bumps.

Seriously, what is it with you people? Why are y'all so hypocritical??

Rather than ignore the wisdom of others you resort to name calling.

Who started with the name calling?

Are you a just liar or do you have really bad memory?

We
shall all be better off if you do ignore us.

Interestingly, something's preventing you from hitting ALT+CTRL+DEL?

Oh, yeah, you're on a ****ing apple mac.

Moron.

- rick

Old August 22nd 06, 09:06 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.rides,rec.bicycles.soc,nyc.bicycles,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent

"Rick" wrote:

1) Go to the AC website.
2) Download the GPX version of the mapsets.

Can you explain to me what the GPX version is and how
to download it?
Old August 22nd 06, 10:09 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.rides,rec.bicycles.soc,nyc.bicycles,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Tim McNamara

In article . com,
"NYC XYZ" wrote:

Tim McNamara wrote:

LOL. There was no argument. There is now, of course, since you're
just being a prick.

Just look up the word "argument" in a dictionary before you argue
whether there is an "argument" here, butt-scab.

You're engaged in nothing more than polemic masturbation, bub. I pointed
out that my experience with touring using the Adventure Cycling maps was
different that yours, and I even graciously allowed that my maps are six
years old and thus might be printed on different stock that yours. You,
providing ample evidence of your inadequate reading comprehension, chose
to interpret that as an "argument."

Surely you can do better than that. 12 year olds have better
repartee.

Is that why you can't think of anything better to say, since you're
all of eight-and-a-half yourself?

You don't have to get the updated information if you don't want to.

Outdated info is no use on a map. Data that's ever-changing wastes
space.

LOL. Are you really a moron or do you just play one on the Internet?

Or do you expect them to update and reprint the maps on a monthly
basis?

I just done tol' ya how I would like the maps done, ****-stain.

Shee-it, my state's Department of Transportation doesn't even
update its maps annually- just reprints the same maps with a new
year on the front.

Good for you. Write them a nice letter.

Good for me? You really are a dolt. Hell's bells, Pee Wee Herman is
less of a ****wit than you. But please, do keep going on, it's very
entertaining. What would Bill S. read for laughs without you?

I was taught to never try to teach a pig to sing- it's a waste of
time and annoys the pig. So I don't write to the President. He'll
be gone eventually.

Then stop bitching.

I'm not the one bitching, dude.

Sheesh. If this is a battle wits, you appear to be unarmed.

If this were a battle of wits, I'd be arrested for child abuse.

Trying to fit in into the map holder on top of my handlebar bag
would be impossible.

There are bigger map holders. Alternately, the spiral-bound
"mapbook" can be made small enough, etc.

Sliding it in and out of a pannier pocket with the comb
catching on the fabric would be a nuisance. Having to handle all
the maps at all times instead of just the section I need for the
day would be cumbersome.

Who says you couldn't have just the section you need?

No, it's pretty simple to orient the map, if necessary, or just to
reorient it in my mind.

Yes, and it's easy getting up to change the channel -- why did they
ever invent the remote?

I don't know why you would find that so hard to
do.

Not hard -- just unnecessary. And it looks amateurish.

If they want to resort to panels, then a book-format is better. This
also allows for each panel to be bigger, and affords them all the
same north-orientation from page to page. The eye can thusmore
smoothly follow the route from panel to panel, and the mind more
readily imagine the trip and thus contain the whole map for future
on-the-fly mental reference.

Perhaps for you, with your obviously diminished processing capacity.
The other thousands of Adventure Cycling customers don't seem to have a
problem with it. That suggests that the problem is yours rather than a
problem with the maps.

Either your sense of direction or your sense of spatial relations
is impaired.

Obviously, you have no imagination. We'd never even gotten the wheel
were the world full of folks like you ("wheels? I have feet!"), much
less the bicycle.

LOL. Your best efforts appear to be to try to obfuscate, a sure sign of
incomprehension. A bit of imagination is all it takes to use the maps
quite efficiently as they are. Your incapacity clearly indicates which
one of us is lacking in imagination. But you at least do try to make up
for it with delusions of adequacy.

I prefer to follow the road. The map is only a reference tool.

I am talking about researching the trip beforehand.

And a reference tool should be as simple as possible. Flipping
around little 2x4 panels (they're even smaller than I'd thought) from
one to the other to orient north and then connect it in one's mind
with another "differently-oriented" panel should be be at a cut-off
from one panel to the next does not sound very "handy" to me.

"Doesn't sound very handy?" So you've not actually used them, then?
Well, that certainly explains a lot. ROTFL!

Hey, you've gotta make a choice. A compact map that takes a slight
mental effort on your part to use, or a large map with contiguous
routing information.

Those are not the only options. As I've outlined already, it can be
a book -- the particular dimensions aren't important now, and can
always be modified as "field requirements" dictate.

More evidence of your daftitude.

Adventure Cycling has assumed that their customers
have the wits to make use of and appreciate the former. You appear
to be an exception.

You must be a very stupid man since you're so concerned about
intelligence.

Truly intelligent people like myself take it as a matter of course,
and do not consider it stupidity to improve on existing conditions,
however currently feasible.

And you're humble, too. How refreshing!

And yet you grouse on and on about them. LOL!

Since when is responding to you people "grousing on and on"?

Oh, I get it, I'm supposed to ignore you morons.

Fair enough. I shall.

Have a nice life! Don't forget to wear your helmets -- the tighter
the better!

Why, thank you. I bid you a fond adieu as well.
Old August 22nd 06, 10:10 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.rides,rec.bicycles.soc,nyc.bicycles,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Tim McNamara

In article .com,
"Rick" wrote:

1) Go to the AC website.
2) Download the GPX version of the mapsets.
3) Get Google Earth and install.
4) Import the AC mapsets into Google Earth.

Viola! A perfect pre-trip research tool for the route. Zoom in, zoom
out, fly around, look at it in 3D. Works great.

I hadn't thought of trying that. What a great idea, thanks!
Old August 22nd 06, 10:12 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.rides,rec.bicycles.soc,nyc.bicycles,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Tim McNamara

In article ,
wrote:

"Rick" wrote:

1) Go to the AC website.
2) Download the GPX version of the mapsets.

Can you explain to me what the GPX version is and how
to download it?

http://www.adventurecycling.org/rout...ivers%20South&
s=112k&f=grgpsdata