Adventure Cycling Maps SUCK!

Old August 22nd 06, 10:21 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.rides,rec.bicycles.soc,nyc.bicycles,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent

Default Adventure Cycling Maps SUCK!

Tim McNamara wrote:

Viola! A perfect pre-trip research tool for the route. Zoom in, zoom
out, fly around, look at it in 3D. Works great.

I hadn't thought of trying that. What a great idea, thanks!

Looks like you must have GPS Plus tho.... correct?
Old August 23rd 06, 12:05 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.rides,rec.bicycles.soc,nyc.bicycles,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Rick

wrote:
"Rick" wrote:

1) Go to the AC website.
2) Download the GPX version of the mapsets.

Can you explain to me what the GPX version is and how
to download it?

GPX is the common GPs eXchange format; most GPS capable software these
days can read if not read/write the format. What it is is an XML file
in a specific format for GPS information.

Tim posted a link to one set of GPS maps. Here is a link to the
Transamerica maps:
http://www.adventurecycling.org/routes/transamerica.cfm . If you
follow that link, in the center of the page is line of links that reads
'overview | gps | buy'. Click on the 'gps' link, agree to the
'contract' and you can download a ZIP file with all the GPS format
maps. Unpack the zip, and in each of the twelve directories will be a
GPX file for that map segment.

- rick

Old August 23rd 06, 01:52 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.rides,rec.bicycles.soc,nyc.bicycles,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
NYC XYZ

Masturbation?

Yes, you're enjoying this too much.

I'm not Saint Ed, you know.

Okay, you piece of one-ply toilet tissue: you can have the last word.
It won't make a difference since you've had nothing to say anyway --
nothing informative, and nothing even remotely entertaining.

Go **** a tractor trailer's wheels. Any one.

Tim McNamara wrote:
In article . com,
"NYC XYZ" wrote:

Tim McNamara wrote:

LOL. There was no argument. There is now, of course, since you're
just being a prick.

Just look up the word "argument" in a dictionary before you argue
whether there is an "argument" here, butt-scab.

You're engaged in nothing more than polemic masturbation, bub. I pointed
out that my experience with touring using the Adventure Cycling maps was
different that yours, and I even graciously allowed that my maps are six
years old and thus might be printed on different stock that yours. You,
providing ample evidence of your inadequate reading comprehension, chose
to interpret that as an "argument."

Surely you can do better than that. 12 year olds have better
repartee.

Is that why you can't think of anything better to say, since you're
all of eight-and-a-half yourself?

You don't have to get the updated information if you don't want to.

Outdated info is no use on a map. Data that's ever-changing wastes
space.

LOL. Are you really a moron or do you just play one on the Internet?

Or do you expect them to update and reprint the maps on a monthly
basis?

I just done tol' ya how I would like the maps done, ****-stain.

Shee-it, my state's Department of Transportation doesn't even
update its maps annually- just reprints the same maps with a new
year on the front.

Good for you. Write them a nice letter.

Good for me? You really are a dolt. Hell's bells, Pee Wee Herman is
less of a ****wit than you. But please, do keep going on, it's very
entertaining. What would Bill S. read for laughs without you?

I was taught to never try to teach a pig to sing- it's a waste of
time and annoys the pig. So I don't write to the President. He'll
be gone eventually.

Then stop bitching.

I'm not the one bitching, dude.

Sheesh. If this is a battle wits, you appear to be unarmed.

If this were a battle of wits, I'd be arrested for child abuse.

Trying to fit in into the map holder on top of my handlebar bag
would be impossible.

There are bigger map holders. Alternately, the spiral-bound
"mapbook" can be made small enough, etc.

Sliding it in and out of a pannier pocket with the comb
catching on the fabric would be a nuisance. Having to handle all
the maps at all times instead of just the section I need for the
day would be cumbersome.

Who says you couldn't have just the section you need?

No, it's pretty simple to orient the map, if necessary, or just to
reorient it in my mind.

Yes, and it's easy getting up to change the channel -- why did they
ever invent the remote?

I don't know why you would find that so hard to
do.

Not hard -- just unnecessary. And it looks amateurish.

If they want to resort to panels, then a book-format is better. This
also allows for each panel to be bigger, and affords them all the
same north-orientation from page to page. The eye can thusmore
smoothly follow the route from panel to panel, and the mind more
readily imagine the trip and thus contain the whole map for future
on-the-fly mental reference.

Perhaps for you, with your obviously diminished processing capacity.
The other thousands of Adventure Cycling customers don't seem to have a
problem with it. That suggests that the problem is yours rather than a
problem with the maps.

Either your sense of direction or your sense of spatial relations
is impaired.

Obviously, you have no imagination. We'd never even gotten the wheel
were the world full of folks like you ("wheels? I have feet!"), much
less the bicycle.

LOL. Your best efforts appear to be to try to obfuscate, a sure sign of
incomprehension. A bit of imagination is all it takes to use the maps
quite efficiently as they are. Your incapacity clearly indicates which
one of us is lacking in imagination. But you at least do try to make up
for it with delusions of adequacy.

I prefer to follow the road. The map is only a reference tool.

I am talking about researching the trip beforehand.

And a reference tool should be as simple as possible. Flipping
around little 2x4 panels (they're even smaller than I'd thought) from
one to the other to orient north and then connect it in one's mind
with another "differently-oriented" panel should be be at a cut-off
from one panel to the next does not sound very "handy" to me.

"Doesn't sound very handy?" So you've not actually used them, then?
Well, that certainly explains a lot. ROTFL!

Hey, you've gotta make a choice. A compact map that takes a slight
mental effort on your part to use, or a large map with contiguous
routing information.

Those are not the only options. As I've outlined already, it can be
a book -- the particular dimensions aren't important now, and can
always be modified as "field requirements" dictate.

More evidence of your daftitude.

Adventure Cycling has assumed that their customers
have the wits to make use of and appreciate the former. You appear
to be an exception.

You must be a very stupid man since you're so concerned about
intelligence.

Truly intelligent people like myself take it as a matter of course,
and do not consider it stupidity to improve on existing conditions,
however currently feasible.

And you're humble, too. How refreshing!

And yet you grouse on and on about them. LOL!

Since when is responding to you people "grousing on and on"?

Oh, I get it, I'm supposed to ignore you morons.

Fair enough. I shall.

Have a nice life! Don't forget to wear your helmets -- the tighter
the better!

Why, thank you. I bid you a fond adieu as well.

Old August 23rd 06, 02:21 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.rides,rec.bicycles.soc,nyc.bicycles,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
R Brickston

On 22 Aug 2006 17:52:59 -0700, "NYC XYZ"
wrote:

Masturbation?

Yes, you're enjoying this too much.

I'm not Saint Ed, you know.

Okay, you piece of one-ply toilet tissue: you can have the last word.
It won't make a difference since you've had nothing to say anyway --
nothing informative, and nothing even remotely entertaining.

Go **** a tractor trailer's wheels. Any one.

0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 +10dB

|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||| |||||||||||||||||||||
ASSHOLE-O-METER
Old August 23rd 06, 02:22 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.rides,rec.bicycles.soc,nyc.bicycles,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
R Brickston

On 22 Aug 2006 12:42:52 -0700, "NYC XYZ"
wrote:

You're not so bad yourself now.

"25 cents, please."

0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 +10dB
|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||| |||||||||||||||||||||
DOUCHEBAG-O-METER
Old August 23rd 06, 03:43 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.rides,rec.bicycles.soc,nyc.bicycles,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
NYC XYZ

Oh my. Recycling put-downs from '90s-era usenet flame-fests.

You're another one who needs some tread-tracks on his head.

R Brickston wrote:

0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 +10dB
|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||| |||||||||||||||||||||
DOUCHEBAG-O-METER

Old August 23rd 06, 05:22 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.rides,rec.bicycles.soc,nyc.bicycles,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Bill Sornson

NYC XYZ wrote:

A:
Masturbation?
Yes, you're enjoying this too much.

Q:
When does top-posting make you look like an even bigger moron?

Old August 23rd 06, 09:06 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.rides,rec.bicycles.soc,nyc.bicycles,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
R Brickston

On 22 Aug 2006 19:43:59 -0700, "NYC XYZ"
wrote:

Oh my. Recycling put-downs from '90s-era usenet flame-fests.

You're another one who needs some tread-tracks on his head.

As if you would could possibly know, junior.

Brrrnnng....!! Brrrnnng....!! Clue Phone.... it's for you, top poster.
Old August 23rd 06, 09:18 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.rides,rec.bicycles.soc,nyc.bicycles,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
R Brickston

On Wed, 23 Aug 2006 04:22:11 GMT, "Bill Sornson" wrote:

NYC XYZ wrote:

A:
Masturbation?
Yes, you're enjoying this too much.

Q:
When does top-posting make you look like an even bigger moron?

A:
All the time, every time.