Hawaii Maui's Haleakala

Old November 22nd 04, 12:01 AM
Dario Wolfish

Are there relatively flat places to ride in Maui? I am planning a vacation
and I am undecided between Costa Rica and Maui. Besides the usual stuff, I'd
like to do a couple of 50 mile day rides.

"Mike Jacoubowsky" wrote in message
om...
Coming out of Hilo, the narrow twisty road climbs about 250' a mile
for the first... oh, 26 or so miles, I'd guess. There's a turnoff
after mile 27, and in 6.2 miles you pick up another 3000 feet. Then
the road turns to dirt and switchbacks for 5 miles, gaining around
another 3000 feet... and then there's 5 miles of pavement at the top
to get the final 1750 feet or so.

I work up there sometimes. The highest I've made it from a start in
Hilo is about 2000' around the 8-mile marker... so far. I've seen
folks heading up the dirt part above 9000' but I don't know many who
would do the whole ascent in a single day.

And I was just there! No bike though, but dang, if I were doing it again
(and it wasn't our 25th anniversary), no way I'd leave the bike behind.
Don't think I'd try getting to the top though; might be OK to rationalize
getting to the end of the first paved stretch.

Or not.

Love your photos of the Big Island, by the way. We were hoping to see a
lava flow when we were there (Sept 14-17th, then we moved on to Kauai),
but no such luck. Did bring home some Volcano Wine though...

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

Old November 22nd 04, 01:40 AM
Dan Birchall

(Dario Wolfish) wrote:
Are there relatively flat places to ride in Maui? I am planning a vacation
and I am undecided between Costa Rica and Maui. Besides the usual stuff, I'd
like to do a couple of 50 mile day rides.

Take a look at
http://www.topozone.com/ for topographic maps. Coastal
routes (southwest coast to Lahaina or northeast coast to Hana) shouldn't
have too much variation in elevation, although they might be twisty and
have narrow bridges, I dunno. There's also the "valley" between the two
main upland areas, which would go from the Wailuku/Kahului (airport) area
south to Kihei and places like that - I'd expect that to be relatively
flat. I haven't ridden on Maui yet myself, though.

You're talking 50-mile round trip, yes?

--
Dan Birchall, Hilo HI - http://hilom.multiply.com/ - images, words, technology

Old November 22nd 04, 11:42 PM
Alan

I rented a bike last yr when I was in Maui while staying in Lahina. I was
not impressed with the roads on Maui near Lahina. They are very busy and
there are just not many roads on Maui and a lot of cars. I got so many
flats that I gave up on the whole thing. Maybe if you stay on the other
side of the island riding may be better. It may be better to ride a couple
of days with one of the overpriced tour companies as they will know the
area.