I'm so ashamed

Old April 12th 06, 08:24 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Default I'm so ashamed

Yesterday evening I ran a red light. I didn't mean to.

I was riding my Raleigh Sports (weight: feels like solid lead; brakes:
calipers) in pouring rain (well, I had to get home) when a pedestrian
activated the lights (fair do's, no problem with that). Yanked the
brake levers, feet scuffing the road surface, shot through.

Fortunately, the pedestrian was on the other side of the road, hadn't
stepped out anyway, and was also paying attention to what was going on
(why can't they all do that?).

"Sorry", I called to the pedestrian. "Well, you did try", she replied,
which was nice. Still shouldn't have gone through in the first place,
though.

A couple of days ago I overtook a lady on a bike. That is, she was
cycling, I was walking my bike as I was about to go into a
pedestrianised area. For some reason, that was kind of embarassing,
too.

PhilD

Old April 12th 06, 09:34 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling

PhilD wrote:

A couple of days ago I overtook a lady on a bike. That is, she was
cycling, I was walking my bike as I was about to go into a
pedestrianised area. For some reason, that was kind of embarassing,
too.

A similar thing happened to me on Monday as I was pushing my bike into
Winchester's pedestrianised area.
The chap riding was one of the city's new biking policemen.

It seems the rules about no cycling in pedestrianised zones don't apply to
them.

Mind you, he did look very sheepishly at me.

John B

Old April 12th 06, 09:37 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling

John B wrote:

The chap riding was one of the city's new biking policemen.

Disturbingly, I transposed the third and fourth words when I read the
above sentence.

R.
Old April 12th 06, 09:38 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling

A similar thing happened to me on Monday as I was pushing my bike into
Winchester's pedestrianised area.
The chap riding was one of the city's new biking policemen.

It seems the rules about no cycling in pedestrianised zones don't apply to
them.

Mind you, he did look very sheepishly at me.

Are you sure it wasn't piggishly?

Old April 12th 06, 09:44 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling

John B wrote:

It seems the rules about no cycling in pedestrianised zones don't apply to
them.

Though check for what "pedestrianised" means in specific cases.
Dundee's pedestrianised zone is mostly actually "no motor vehicles"
(except for loading etc. exceptions), so cycling is mostly legal (there
are bits of pure pavement in there too).

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
Old April 12th 06, 10:05 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling

PhilD said the following on 12/04/2006 08:24:

A couple of days ago I overtook a lady on a bike. That is, she was
cycling, I was walking my bike as I was about to go into a
pedestrianised area. For some reason, that was kind of embarassing,
too.

I know what you mean. I've occasionally passed elderly joggers - when
I'm walking! You feel like you shouldn't be doing that!

--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/
Old April 12th 06, 10:11 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Peter Clinch wrote:

John B wrote:

It seems the rules about no cycling in pedestrianised zones don't apply to
them.

Though check for what "pedestrianised" means in specific cases.
Dundee's pedestrianised zone is mostly actually "no motor vehicles"
(except for loading etc. exceptions), so cycling is mostly legal (there
are bits of pure pavement in there too).

Of course you are right. In winchester various parts of the centre have
differing restrictions - but the section this Mr Plod was riding was definitely
no motor vehicles with no exceptions.

I nearly handed him a cycle training leaflet ;-)

John B

Old April 12th 06, 10:43 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling

"John B" wrote in message

Peter Clinch wrote:

John B wrote:

It seems the rules about no cycling in pedestrianised zones don't

apply to
them.

Though check for what "pedestrianised" means in specific cases.
Dundee's pedestrianised zone is mostly actually "no motor vehicles"
(except for loading etc. exceptions), so cycling is mostly legal (there
are bits of pure pavement in there too).

Of course you are right. In winchester various parts of the centre have
differing restrictions - but the section this Mr Plod was riding was

definitely
no motor vehicles with no exceptions.

So if he was riding a pedal cycle (presumably without a motor) he was not
riding a motor vehicle.

If he had have been riding a horse (with or without cart) he would also have
not been on a motor vehicle.

The problem comes when you then start looking at electric
wheelchairs/scooters etc which technically are motor vehicles.

What about prams/pushchairs that are vehicles but generally not motorised.

Seriously though, if a pedestrianised area is not to be used for cycles then
there should be a sign saying so - most ped areas do not have such a sign.

I nearly handed him a cycle training leaflet ;-)

John B

DaveB
West Yorks

Old April 12th 06, 10:46 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Wear a horse hair shirt, flagellate and scourge yourself. Eat only
stale bread and drink only water for ten days; then and only then will
you expunge this inner grief and guilt.

Old April 12th 06, 11:28 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling

PhilD wrote:
Yesterday evening I ran a red light. I didn't mean to.

I was riding my Raleigh Sports (weight: feels like solid lead; brakes:
calipers) in pouring rain (well, I had to get home) when a pedestrian
activated the lights (fair do's, no problem with that). Yanked the
brake levers, feet scuffing the road surface, shot through.

Fortunately, the pedestrian was on the other side of the road, hadn't
stepped out anyway, and was also paying attention to what was going on
(why can't they all do that?).

"Sorry", I called to the pedestrian. "Well, you did try", she replied,
which was nice. Still shouldn't have gone through in the first place,
though.

I reckon I'd personally be more ashamed about and afraid of my brakes
not working like that!!!

A couple of days ago I overtook a lady on a bike. That is, she was
cycling, I was walking my bike as I was about to go into a
pedestrianised area. For some reason, that was kind of embarassing,
too.

LOL, yeah totally!