I'm ashamed to admit I was conned.

Old December 31st 10, 03:12 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing,rec.bicycles.tech
Brad Anders

Default I'm ashamed to admit I was conned.

On Dec 30, 2:13*pm, "Kurgan. presented by Gringioni."
wrote:
On Dec 30, 6:07*am, Cicero Venatio wrote:

Doing some house cleaning in the cold weather, and I found a stash of
old cycling race mags, and a stack of vhs tapes on tour de france and
those other races they have in Europe. *I kind of thumbed through some
of the mags, put a couple of the vhs tapes in, and I thought of how
stupid I was back then. *All of it went into the dumpster. *The only
thing remotely interesting was some of the hype on that old equipment,
bikes, and shoes, clothes. *It was all an elaborate illusion, and they
actually fooled me in those days. *But now I know the magic behind the
tricks, and I kept one tape, that I recorded myself, to remind me of how
fake it all was. *That is the stage that Landis won, after he covered
himself with t-patches the night before. *He looked like a crazed crack
head fleeing the police in that stage, it is so obvious now.

It was all such a waste of time. *Still have a couple of CF wonder
racing bikes that I hardly even use because they are so impractical to
ride. *Most of riding is now on a Surly LHT, with 35 wide tires, spd
pedals and shoes, and have discovered the real joy of riding.

Dumbass -

I feel the same about some of my memorabilia, especially anything that
has to do with Greg LemonD.

Great athlete. Tool of a human being.

thanks,

Kurgan. presented by Gringioni

Hey, what about all those pricey Graham Watson books sitting in my
bookshelf? When I look at them now and page through, all I say is,
"doper.... doper.... dead... doper... doper..."
Old December 31st 10, 03:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing,rec.bicycles.tech
Anton Berlin

Hey, what about all those pricey Graham Watson books sitting in my
bookshelf? When I look at them now and page through, all I say is,
"doper.... doper.... dead... doper... doper..."

LOL
Old December 31st 10, 04:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing,rec.bicycles.tech
N8N

http://bikeportland.org/2010/12/29/f...ng-father-of-p...

It was all such a waste of time. *Still have a couple of CF wonder
racing bikes that I hardly even use because they are so impractical to
ride. *Most of riding is now on a Surly LHT, with 35 wide tires, spd
pedals and shoes, and have discovered the real joy of riding.

I put the most miles on my LHT, too (ATM 32 mm front, ~35 mm rear
tires). *It has SPD pedals, too - sweet M747's ($5 for the pair on
CL!) *My shoes are Shimano MT40's ($55 on closeout) and sandals. *I'd
like to have a nice pair of winter boots, but booties over the shoes
aren't too bad unless it rains a lot. *The sandals are even good in
the rain if it isn't too cold, and they're great in the heat.

I put plastic MKS pedals on my wheelie bike - so I can ride it
barefoot.

Possibly Bad Idea time...

I've found that when it is legitimately cold out that my Red Wing work
boots are the ticket for riding (on the platform side of the pedals,
natch.) Anyone ever take some work boots with deep lug soles and
carve the centers of the tread out for spuds?

nate
Old December 31st 10, 04:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing,rec.bicycles.tech
[email protected][_2_]

On Dec 31, 2:08*am, Phil W Lee wrote:
" considered Thu, 30 Dec 2010
12:54:04 -0800 (PST) the perfect time to write:

On Dec 30, 9:23*am, "Duane Hebert" wrote:
"landotter" wrote in message

On Dec 30, 8:07 am, Cicero Venatio wrote:

That said, on a hot day, I got nothing against putting on a lycra
monkeysuit and going for a long haul on my SS roadie bike. It's got
spds--but I'll never ever buy another road shoe.

Sorry to hijack this thread a bit but I'm wondering what the big
deal is about road shoes.

I have spds on both my bikes (sport tour and road.) *I have a pair of
Shimano MTB shoes
that I use with both bikes. *My pedals are full pedals with the spd on one
side and grips on the other.

I get grief from roadie buddies but I'm not sure I understand why. *I've
used
Look pedals before and I don't see a big difference.

They say that Look type pedals are easier to get into and out of but I don't
see that. *They also talk about hot spots on the spd cleats but I don't
notice
that either. *Maybe it's because of the full size pedals that I have..

I can actually park my bike and walk into the office with these shoes. *The
cleats
are recessed into the sole.

Part of my commute is through a park with gravelly trails. *I can unclip
and use the pedal side for when I'm sliding through the gravel.

I can take off from the red light without fumbling with the cleat until I
get
across the intersection.

The cleats seem to last longer and the shoes are $150 bucks.

I can use the same shoes in the spinning classes in the off season.

What's the argument against this setup on a road bike?

Road shoes are lighter :-p

I use SPDs because I can get a model which takes proper robust
reflectors, which are mandatory here for road use after dark.
I don't know of any other clipless pedal with this capability.

Reflectors!?!?!?!

Road shoes with 3 hole cleats make a significant difference in
performance. You have three holes instead of two to penetrate with
your screw.

Sorry, Gene got me started with the nonsense.
Old December 31st 10, 05:02 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing,rec.bicycles.tech
Chalo

Jay Beattie wrote:

Any opinion on Panaracer Urban Max tires?

Price is right. *It's a 32mm tire with some tread pattern, which comes
in handy this time of year.

I don't know that one.

My favorite in the 700x32 size is the Panaracer Ribmo. It's fast, it
rides and handles well, and it has very effective protection against
punctures. It's more expensive than the tires I normally use-- about
the same as a Conti Gatorskin or a Pasela Tourguard. But it's a much
worthier tire than those two in my opinion.

The Ribmo has minimal tread, though.

but the Marathon Plus in plus size is not cheap!

The Schwalbe Marathon Plus is as flatproof as a tire can be while
still containing pressurized air. It's very heavy, pretty slow, and
expensive. But if you have had it up to here with flats and can't
take it any more, that's your tire. See also Michelin Pilot City and
CST Salvo.

Chalo
Old December 31st 10, 05:07 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing,rec.bicycles.tech
N8N

On Dec 31, 12:02*pm, Chalo wrote:
Jay Beattie wrote:

Any opinion on Panaracer Urban Max tires?

Price is right. *It's a 32mm tire with some tread pattern, which comes
in handy this time of year.

I don't know that one.

I have some, but I didn't notice anything particularly wonderful about
them. Currently running Pasela TGs on both of my bikes. Never had a
flat on any of them that wasn't tube or tape related. ISTR discussion
of them here previously that said that UM's were similar to Paselas
(appear identical other than black sidewalls) but with a much lower
thread count casing.

nate
Old December 31st 10, 05:13 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing,rec.bicycles.tech
Dan O

On Dec 31, 8:56 am, N8N wrote:
On Dec 30, 8:50 pm, Dan O wrote:

[...]

A friend who doesn't Ride Bike (but is otherwise well-intentioned)
once went into the LBS to get some SPD cleats, intent on fabricating
some winter shoes for my poor cold feet. They tried to tell him that
bike shoes were special, and recommended neoprene booties, but he
already had hiking boots in my size, went ahead and carved out a space
in the tread (with a Dremel, I believe, after measuring one of my
shoes), and mounted the cleats.

The soles were obviously much too flimsy to try and push SPD's. I
never tried to pedal in them, moved the cleats to my old shoes, and
filled the holes and extra tread gap with Shoe Goo. Both soles split
across the mounting holes, and the cracks lap up water when I walk.
Old December 31st 10, 06:02 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing,rec.bicycles.tech

On Dec 30, 12:32*pm, landotter wrote:
On Dec 30, 12:17*pm, raamman wrote:

It was a such a waste of time. *Still have a couple of CF wonder
racing bikes that I hardly even use because they are so impractical to
ride. *Most of riding is now on a Surly LHT, with 35 wide tires, spd
pedals and shoes, and have discovered the real joy of riding.

it sounds like you've discovered a joy of eating; 35 wide tires carry
such rolling resistance that only massively overweight riders use them
for "comfort"

I'm well under 200 and my touring bike has 47s, while the SS is set up
for cross with 37s. The 47s at 20psi have been wonderful in this
winter slop, when you don't know if the slush is hiding debris. In
fact, I ran over a concrete parking bumper that was hidden the other
day. Threw my wheel half a mm out of true, but I didn't pinch flat.

It's winter, going fast just dries your skin out and makes your nose
run.

100 mm tire 10 psi you won't even notice curbs.
http://salsacycles.com/bikes/mukluk/
Old December 31st 10, 06:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing,rec.bicycles.tech
Dan O

On Dec 30, 5:42 pm, Dan O wrote:
On Dec 30, 1:24 pm, Jay Beattie wrote:

On Dec 30, 11:47 am, Chalo wrote:

raamman wrote:

Cicero Venatio wrote:

It was a such a waste of time. Still have a couple of CF wonder
racing bikes that I hardly even use because they are so impractical to
ride. Most of riding is now on a Surly LHT, with 35 wide tires, spd
pedals and shoes, and have discovered the real joy of riding.

it sounds like you've discovered a joy of eating; 35 wide tires carry
such rolling resistance that only massively overweight riders use them
for "comfort"

You are full of gas (and you're a prick, but I guess that's just a
racer thing). A supple 700x35 tire like the Pasela, Rivendell Jack
Brown, or Schwalbe Marathon Racer has _less_ rolling resistance than a
narrow race tire, because it flexes a lot less deeply to establish its
contact patch. It weighs a little more and has more aerodynamic drag
at speeds over 20mph or so, but neither of those things equal rolling
resistance.

I sell 700x23 Soma Everwear and 700x25mm Schwalbe Marathon Plus tires
at my shop. Those tires are sluggish, even though they are narrow.
If you want to compare an armored 35mm utility tire to a skinny tire,
compare with those. But a fast 35mm tire is simply a fast tire by any
measure.

Chalo

Big fat tires ride like big fat tires. They are pigs climbing and can
ride like pogo sticks at real low pressure . . . but you get better
traction in crappy conditions and get good pinch flat resistance. I
switch between tires frequently on my cross-bike. I will throw on the
fatties this weekend because conditions have turned very soupy, and
riding in the dark and the rain is just asking to whack something. But
if it were summer, I would stick with my 25s or 28s because I hate
dragging the fatties uphill.

The walnuts that litter my driveway every year have a rock hard inner
shell about 2 cm diameter, and a green outer coating that is tight at
first, but loosens after a day or so on the ground, and is slimy
inside. So, what you have here is a big rock with a thick slimy
coating.

Coming into the driveway one night on my 28 mm tires, I hit a single
walnut, which immediately put me on the ground (where my knee hit
another walnut). OTOH I can ride the 1.95" slicks on my wheelie bike
right through myriad walnuts no problem.

Right now the driveway is covered in frozen moss:

http://i52.tinypic.com/1zwymau.jpg
Old December 31st 10, 06:27 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing,rec.bicycles.tech

On Dec 31, 11:13*am, Dan O wrote:
On Dec 31, 8:56 am, N8N wrote:

On Dec 30, 8:50 pm, Dan O wrote:

[...]

Yeah, you need a metal plate inside to reinforce and hold the bolt.

come on -- admit it bar Racing 0 August 19th 09 03:11 AM
Ashamed to ride a bike? Join Bike Pride Parade! ComandanteBanana Techniques 15 August 2nd 09 11:51 PM
I'm so ashamed PhilD UK 15 December 21st 06 05:16 PM
Bradley Wiggins: Sick of feeling ashamed because I'm a professional cyclist Jason Spaceman Racing 3 September 26th 06 10:12 PM
I admit it ... Steven L. Sheffield Racing 4 September 5th 04 06:45 PM