I'm ashamed to admit I was conned.

Old January 1st 11, 07:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing,rec.bicycles.tech
RobertH

Default I'm ashamed to admit I was conned.

On Dec 31 2010, 8:08 am, Brad Anders wrote:
On Dec 30, 1:36 pm, RobertH wrote:

On Dec 30, 10:25 am, Jay Beattie wrote:

[...]

Brad mentions road sprinters pulling out of SPDs, and frankly, that is
a real problem for me with my M520s. Even with new cleats and tension
at max, my right foot pulls out frequently. I have a really mobile
right ankle due to injuries and surgery, and that results in frequent
disengagement that I do not get on my Keos. -- Jay Beattie.

That's a serious danger, I recommend Time pedals as they do not
release inadvertantly until the cleat is quite worn.

I could always tell who was riding Time pedals in crits, they were the
guys hitting their pedals in the turns. Maybe the new ones are better,
but years ago, it was an issue.

Interesting ... I was referring to their off-road pedals vs. the SPDs
though. I know nothing about their road pedals.
Old January 1st 11, 09:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing,rec.bicycles.tech
Mark J.

On 1/1/2011 9:14 AM, AMuzi wrote:
A. Muzi wrote:
[...]
It's not as if competitive cyclists come from a different pool than we
other humans ( Karol Wotylja may be a special case).

Tēm ShermĒn™ °_° wrote:
Il Papa was a competitive cyclist?

Yes, as a young man in Poland.

Huh. I remember him being noted as a skier when he was first made pope.
While I have a news photo of him being presented with a Colnago by
Ernesto himself (in the first year or so of his papacy), I didn't know
he had any experience /riding/ the things.

Mark J.

Old January 1st 11, 10:13 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing,rec.bicycles.tech
Duane Hebert[_3_]

"Mark J." wrote in message ...
[...]

Tēm ShermĒn™ °_° wrote:
Il Papa was a competitive cyclist?

Yes, as a young man in Poland.

Huh. I remember him being noted as a skier when he was first made pope. While I have a news photo of him being
presented with a Colnago by Ernesto himself (in the first year or so of his papacy), I didn't know he had any
experience /riding/ the things.

I think that he was an "outdoor enthusiast" including cycling. (not
sure about the competitive bit though)
http://www.francescoproductions.com/...historic1.html

Old January 1st 11, 10:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing,rec.bicycles.tech

On Jan 1, 3:53*pm, "Mark J." wrote:
On 1/1/2011 9:14 AM, AMuzi wrote:

[...]

T m Sherm n _ wrote:
Il Papa was a competitive cyclist?

Yes, as a young man in Poland.

Huh. *I remember him being noted as a skier when he was first made pope..
* While I have a news photo of him being presented with a Colnago by
Ernesto himself (in the first year or so of his papacy), I didn't know
he had any experience /riding/ the things.

http://autobus.cyclingnews.com/sponsors/italia/colnago02/?id=bikes

Detail, down the page a little, from Ernesto IRT the gold Colnago
Mexico he presented to Pope John Paul II, and what they built for him,
later, that he actually rode.
The poster of the presentation is priceless, many captions possible
and more power (so to speak) to J2P2; that Mexico was, um, heavenly.
--D-y
Old January 2nd 11, 01:54 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing,rec.bicycles.tech
Jay Beattie

On Jan 1, 7:51*am, "Duane Hebert" wrote:
"Jay Beattie" wrote in message

I was riding today in the West Hills, and I was fretting about the
areas of sheet ice from rain run-off and some local springs, but the
road was mostly clear -- it was in the 20s F, and there was snow on
the shoulder in some places, but nothing like the Midwest. I don't
know how people ride below 0, or even below 20 degrees and in real
snow and ice (with narrowed roads) for months on end. -- *Jay Beattie.

Skiing.

Skiing for me today. Blue bird day and corn starch, squeaky snow.
Lift lines were short, probably because everyone was home watching a
bowl game with a hang-over. -- Jay Beattie.
Old January 2nd 11, 02:07 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing,rec.bicycles.tech
Duane Hebert

"Jay Beattie" wrote in message

Skiing for me today. Blue bird day and corn starch, squeaky snow.
Lift lines were short, probably because everyone was home watching a
bowl game with a hang-over. -- Jay Beattie.

Going in the morning but there's a chance of rain.
Last time it rained here in January it was followed by
"THE" ice storm that took out the province for weeks.
Hopefully it changes to snow...

Old January 2nd 11, 03:53 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing,rec.bicycles.tech
David Scheidt

In rec.bicycles.tech Duane Hebert wrote:

:"Jay Beattie" wrote in message

:Skiing for me today. Blue bird day and corn starch, squeaky snow.
:Lift lines were short, probably because everyone was home watching a
:bowl game with a hang-over. -- Jay Beattie.

:Going in the morning but there's a chance of rain.
:Last time it rained here in January it was followed by
:"THE" ice storm that took out the province for weeks.
:Hopefully it changes to snow...

Was that about 1996?

--
sig 16
Old January 2nd 11, 04:33 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing,rec.bicycles.tech
Chalo

Jay Beattie wrote:

Skiing for me today. *Blue bird day and corn starch, squeaky snow.

Consolation prize, I assure you.

Old January 2nd 11, 04:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing,rec.bicycles.tech
Peter Cole[_2_]

On 1/1/2011 10:51 AM, Duane Hebert wrote:

"Jay Beattie" wrote in message

I was riding today in the West Hills, and I was fretting about the
areas of sheet ice from rain run-off and some local springs, but the
road was mostly clear -- it was in the 20s F, and there was snow on
the shoulder in some places, but nothing like the Midwest. I don't
know how people ride below 0, or even below 20 degrees and in real
snow and ice (with narrowed roads) for months on end. -- Jay Beattie.

Skiing.

I always liked Sheldon's line about New England being great for cycling
10 months out of the year -- July and August being just too hot.

When I began doing weekly club rides many years ago, I was surprised to
find that everyone planned to stop once the cold weather arrived. I
announced that I was going to keep riding every Saturday morning, by
myself, if need be. That first winter, I did indeed ride a few times
alone, but most times had several companions. Now, the typical ride,
even in the dead of winter, draws 50 or so, even cold wind-swept rain
will bring out a dozen. The club's unbroken Saturday morning ride
"streak" now exceeds 700 rides. That list includes sub-zero (F),
pre-plow blizzards (had to bike to ride start, no cars out) and even a
hurricane. They were all fun.

I've never understood the reluctance to cycle in winter. I grew up doing
all kinds of outdoor winter activities, cycling seemed no different.
Like everything else, it just seemed a matter of getting the right
clothing/gear. Downhill skiing in some ways was much more challenging,
given that you were usually on top of some barren mountain, often going
faster than a bike, and/or spending long times shuffling in lift lines
or dangling on chair lifts (frequently stopped under snow guns).
Cycling, like X/C skiing or skating, makes it easier to tolerate the
cold, given the constant high activity level. A hour or two bike ride in
the lowlands seems like nothing compared to all day on the howling
summits with stop & go chilling and sweating.

Having done lots of both, I would rather ride in the woods in the winter
than X/C ski, conditions allowing, ditto for biking on frozen lakes over
skating. X/C skiing and mountain biking form almost perfect compliments,
since snow depth makes one or the other always possible. That said, snow
around here (Boston) has been unreliable enough to have only supported
brief X/C seasons in the last decade. Winter MTB seems to be the better
bet. Road riding is always do-able.

I actually ride more on winter weekends than I do in the summer. The
short winter days prod me to get as much daylight as possible, and there
aren't so many competing outdoor activities. In the summer, it's hard to
give up sailing or a picnic to sweat over hot pavement. I would much
rather ride for a couple of hours on Saturday or Sunday outside, even if
it's in sleet or freezing rain than slog on the trainer indoors or just
lay about nursing a bad case of cabin fever. There's not enough Prozac
in the world to get me to mall walk or spin in a gym.

I had a good ride yesterday, lots of snow melting in the almost 60F
warmth. The deep slush made things slippery in spots, I much prefer
things to be frozen solid so my studs have something to grip.

come on -- admit it bar Racing 0 August 19th 09 03:11 AM
Ashamed to ride a bike? Join Bike Pride Parade! ComandanteBanana Techniques 15 August 2nd 09 11:51 PM
I'm so ashamed PhilD UK 15 December 21st 06 05:16 PM
Bradley Wiggins: Sick of feeling ashamed because I'm a professional cyclist Jason Spaceman Racing 3 September 26th 06 10:12 PM
I admit it ... Steven L. Sheffield Racing 4 September 5th 04 06:45 PM