Upgrade or not

Old August 9th 04, 01:50 PM
Qui si parla Campagnolo

Default Upgrade or not

yum- I started riding bicyle 2 years ago. I bought an entry level road
bike,
Canondale CAD2 with STI shifter. I changed pedals to clipless.and added a
wireless cycle computer. I really don't have complaints with my bike,
except gear shift may not be as smooth as it should be. BRBR
What can I expect from a better/more expensive
bicycle ? Is it really worth extra money for a recreational rider ?
BRBR

A wee bit lighter, maybe. If the bike fits you, and you like to ride it, ride
it. Perhaps use lighter tires, tubes, but ride it. WAY too much emphasis placed
on equipment these days. Spending lots of $ will not make any difference in
your riding performance. Remember riding performance is 4 things-
-fit-does the bicycle fot you?
-fitness-being 'fit
-fat-lack thereof on you
-finesse-riding, training smart.

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535
http://www.vecchios.com
Old August 9th 04, 03:58 PM
Russell Seaton

"Yum" wrote in message ...
Thank you all for good suggestions. They are all useful information. I
guess I wasn't very specific about what I was looking for. I am not really
interested in racing. I was looking for suggestions that makes ride safer,
more comfortable and fun without spending fortune. I ride for my health
and fun. I agree that the rider would be more important than bicycle.

A nice pair of cycling shoes will probably make the most difference.
I recommend Carnac shoes. The fit is wonderful. Good cycling shoes
really are worth the money. Probably the best place to spend money
for comfort on a bike.

Good shorts also make a difference. I can tell the difference between
my Cannondale Velocity shorts and my cheap Bellwether, cheap
Performance, cheap Nashbar shorts.

As others have said, making sure your current bike is tuned up will
help with shifting. Using narrower or wider tires will affect comfort
and speed. If you're riding the road, not loaded with panniers, all
the time, there is no point having 35mm tires.