Strangest thing you've seen while riding

Old June 11th 05, 10:59 PM
abrown360

Default Strangest thing you've seen while riding

So In an earlier post today I described this beautiful unicyclist that
I saw while riding a few days ago. This got me thinking about all the
other strange things I see while on my daily ride. Punk-rock tall
bikes, yarn 'sculptures' draped around trees on the Burke Gilman trail,
a cat that is always watching the cyclists and runners move by while
she lounges in the sun on the same bench every day. Stuff like that.

What do you see on your ride? What sticks out in your memory?

Old June 11th 05, 11:25 PM
WeatherGuy

"abrown360" wrote in message
oups.com...
So In an earlier post today I described this beautiful unicyclist that
I saw while riding a few days ago. This got me thinking about all the
other strange things I see while on my daily ride. Punk-rock tall
bikes, yarn 'sculptures' draped around trees on the Burke Gilman trail,
a cat that is always watching the cyclists and runners move by while
she lounges in the sun on the same bench every day. Stuff like that.

What do you see on your ride? What sticks out in your memory?

A snapping turtle laying eggs beside the bike path the day before yesterday

Old June 11th 05, 11:31 PM
C.J.Patten

"abrown360" wrote in message
oups.com...

What do you see on your ride? What sticks out in your memory?

I wish I'd have been there to see the sexy unicyclist you described. Heh.
(photos next time!?)

I wasn't cycling but driving at the time when I saw a very odd bicycle.

I was on a downtown street with lots of traffic lights so I had a chance to
see the contraption as I was stopped and it pulled by then again when I
passed it and when it caught up.

Looked like it had been built with an old hybrid frame but it was sort of a
semi-recumbant chopper mutation. The handlebars looked to be custom made
from rebar. Wheels were probably 20".

What was odd - aside from everything about it - was the bottom bracket
appeared to be unused. What I mean by this is there was nothing in it. The
front crank was well ahead of that. I wish I'd gotten a better look at how
it was all attached.

The fellow riding had a cigarette dangling out of his mouth and - forgive my
stereotyping - looked like the type to have used appliances and tractors in
his front yard.

Old June 12th 05, 12:13 AM
lowkey

"WeatherGuy" wrote in message
. ..

"abrown360" wrote in message
oups.com...

What do you see on your ride? What sticks out in your memory?

A snapping turtle laying eggs beside the bike path the day before
yesterday

This is from my bike vacation last year:

'Further along I come to the most surreal experience of my trek. I approach
a modest house perched along the highway. It was a fence. of sorts. The edge
of the property is lined with bicycles - dozens of them, big ones small
ones, tricycles too. They sit lined up like little soldiers circling the
lawn. I couldn't decide whether it was an expression of artistic intent or
just the remnants of a really really big Acadian family. I stop to take a
picture.'

Strangest thing I ever saw.

--
'In a world of postmodern fad
What was good now is bad' -jewell

Old June 12th 05, 01:19 AM
Colorado Bicycler

Deer on an early morning ride. They were doing a dance (about 15 does
and fawns) in the middle of the meadow and were having a ball. Fawns
running off everywhere, just like Bambi That is, until the big 4 point
showed up - 'No more of this nonsense" he says through his appearence
and manner. Quickly everything was back in order, with the does eating
and attending to their fawns. No more playtime! Sad.

Old June 12th 05, 01:49 AM
Claire Petersky

abrown360 wrote in message
.com...

What do you see on your ride? What sticks out in your memory?

Not the "strangest thing" by any means. But something that sticks out from
last week's commute: I was just entering the 520 trail on a little-used
spur, and a little flock of baby kildeer chicks went skittering along the
pavement. They might have been just a few days old, because the last time I
was on that spur, Mama kildeer was still hatching the eggs. They were so
*cute*.

--
Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky
See the books I've set free at:
http://bookcrossing.com/referr*al/Cpetersky

Old June 12th 05, 02:41 AM
Marty

WeatherGuy wrote:
"abrown360" wrote in message
oups.com...

So In an earlier post today I described this beautiful unicyclist that
I saw while riding a few days ago. This got me thinking about all the
other strange things I see while on my daily ride. Punk-rock tall
bikes, yarn 'sculptures' draped around trees on the Burke Gilman trail,
a cat that is always watching the cyclists and runners move by while
she lounges in the sun on the same bench every day. Stuff like that.

What do you see on your ride? What sticks out in your memory?

A snapping turtle laying eggs beside the bike path the day before yesterday

I saw two emus yesterday while mountain bike riding.

Old June 12th 05, 03:42 AM
Chris Zacho The Wheelman

On a bike ride many years ago in the Sierra foothills I passed a
"fence", nearly half a mile along the road, made completely of junk
welded together. Everything and anything was incorporated into the
structure, from rebar to old car parts to antique farming implements and
garden tools. if it had been made of steel, it was in that fence,
somewhere.

In a few spots, the builder had gotten artistic, and assembled the
pieces to resemble people, animals, and other objects. Including, yes, a
man on an oldtime penny-farthing bicycle.

- -

"May you have the winds at your back,
And a really low gear for the hills!"

Chris'Z Corner
http://www.geocities.com/czcorner

Old June 12th 05, 04:08 AM
Allan

I saw a dead fish on the bike trail two weeks ago. Here in Sacramento,
where the Terminator does battle, they have large releases of water from
Folsom lake due to the heavy snow melt. The lower American River floods
over into designated flood zones, which includes Discovery Park and its bike
paths north of the capitol. One morning on my way to work, just after the
water receded along this path I noticed a dead fish on the trail. I made a
Ueee to give it another look see as I had never seen one on the trail
before. Sort of weird thinking that fish were swimming where you're now
riding.

Here's another one: When I first started commuting to work 15 years ago, I
stupidly tried to traverse the thigh deep water in Discovery Park on my way
home. I lost track of the road and tried to carry my bike the last 100
yards or so. A pannier slipped off and I was frantically searching for it
when I saw rippling in the water coming towards me. It was almost dark, I
was alone, and my imagination started to get the best of me. It was
probably just a log and I know there are no gators in Sacramento (then again
maybe there are) but I wasn't going to stick around to find out. I finally
found the pannier and high tailed it out of there.

oups.com...

Old June 12th 05, 04:14 AM
Fritz M

WeatherGuy wrote:

A snapping turtle laying eggs beside the bike path the day before yesterday

Cool; I saw the same thing myself the other day. About 8 p.m. in
Longmont, Colorado USA.

RFM