Lock Opened With Ball Point Pen

Old October 6th 04, 12:47 AM
Werehatrack

On Mon, 4 Oct 2004 16:22:24 -0400, "Matt O'Toole"
wrote:

I've been wondering about this for awhile. Chain and wire cable can be cut
easily with either bolt/cable cutters or cordless grinders. But what about
cable wound from both wire and kevlar? A bolt cutter would have a tough time
because the kevlar strands would crush but not sever. Grinding would be
difficult for the same reason, and because the cable would be too flexible. It
could be cut for sure, but it would take longer, and maybe require stopping a
few times to hack away with another tool, like a knife. Any ideas? Has this
already been tried?

An all-saw does not even notice Kevlar when it's securely embedded or
immobilized; it goes right through. Lock cutters, if they're sharp,
shear it easily. Kevlar's greatest strength is in it's tensile
properties and flexibility, not its resistance to cutting. Yes, it's
*harder* to cut than most fibers, but it's not particularly
*difficult*.
--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.
Old October 6th 04, 12:54 AM
Werehatrack

On Tue, 05 Oct 2004 12:44:21 -0700, Ben Pfaff
wrote:

That might be reasonable in an emergency. But if there's time to
ticket and tow cars, then there's time to properly remove a bike
lock in a reasonable fashion. It's not an emergency situation in
any sense at all.

Unbolt the sign (two fasteners, probably no special tools required)
and slip the bike off over the top of the pole. Toss aside.

Something tells me that they did it intentionally to cause the most
damage.
--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.
Old October 6th 04, 12:58 AM
Werehatrack

On Mon, 04 Oct 2004 20:57:55 -0500, "B.B."
u wrote:

In article ,
skuke wrote:

When told the story, I remembered the opening scene of the movie Backdraft.
There was an expensive car parked in from of a fire hydrant and the
firefighters needed access to it for their hose line. They smashed the
driver and pasenger windows then passed the hose through the car to be
connected to the fire hydrant.

When I watched that I thought to myself: "Wouldn't it be faster to
just go over the car?" They were in a hurry, right?

Fire hose comes in two varieties, one of which doesn't flex very much,
and neither flows well with sharp bends. For the first connect to a
hydrant, it's not unusual to use the stiff hose. I've seen a photo of
a car with the windows broken out to pass such stiff hose through in
order to get a connect to a high-pressure pumper feeding an aerial
boom nozzle. The car was towed after the hose was disconnected,
despite the enraged owner's objections. It wasn't a Bimmer; I think
it was a GM sled.
--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.
Old October 6th 04, 08:18 PM
Ray Heindl

Werehatrack wrote:

Fire hose comes in two varieties, one of which doesn't flex very
much, and neither flows well with sharp bends. For the first
connect to a hydrant, it's not unusual to use the stiff hose.
I've seen a photo of a car with the windows broken out to pass
such stiff hose through in order to get a connect to a
high-pressure pumper feeding an aerial boom nozzle. The car was
towed after the hose was disconnected, despite the enraged owner's
objections. It wasn't a Bimmer; I think it was a GM sled.

A local TV reporter covering a fire parked in front of a hydrant and
locked the keys in the car. Naturally, a firefighter with an ax was
more than happy to open the car for him.

--
Ray Heindl
(remove the Xs to reply to: )
Old October 7th 04, 09:59 PM
Carl Fogel

wrote:

That might be reasonable in an emergency. But if there's time to
ticket and tow cars, then there's time to properly remove a bike
lock in a reasonable fashion. It's not an emergency situation in
any sense at all.

Unbolt the sign (two fasteners, probably no special tools required)
and slip the bike off over the top of the pole. Toss aside.

Something tells me that they did it intentionally to cause the most
damage.

Dear Werehatrack,

This week's New Yorker shows the dark underside of
your pro-bike position:

http://tinyurl.com/3qdlt

or

http://www.cartoonbank.com/product_d...ion=cart oons

Of course, locking a bike to a cactus might
be bad for the tires.

Carl Fogel
Old October 7th 04, 10:31 PM
Peter Cole

"Ray Heindl" wrote

A local TV reporter covering a fire parked in front of a hydrant and
locked the keys in the car. Naturally, a firefighter with an ax was
more than happy to open the car for him.

I happened upon a new, locked, smoke-filled, Mercedes sedan just as the
Boston Fire Dept. arrived. Man, they tore that car to bits, and seemed to
enjoy it thoroughly.

Old October 9th 04, 01:52 AM
LioNiNoiL_a t_Y a h 0 0_d 0 t_c 0 m

This week's New Yorker shows the dark underside of
your pro-bike position:

http://tinyurl.com/3qdlt

or

http://www.cartoonbank.com/product_d...ion=cart oons

It also shows the dark underside of New Yorker marketing:

Deluxe Framed Print (25" x 31") - $350.00

Old October 10th 04, 02:08 PM
Michael J. Klein

On Fri, 08 Oct 2004 17:52:17 -0700, LioNiNoiL_a t_Y a h 0 0_d 0 t_c 0
m wrote:

This week's New Yorker shows the dark underside of
your pro-bike position:

http://tinyurl.com/3qdlt

or

http://www.cartoonbank.com/product_d...ion=cart oons

It also shows the dark underside of New Yorker marketing:

Deluxe Framed Print (25" x 31") - $350.00

Yeah, I was thinking that I want way too little for my photographs.

Michael J. Klein
Dasi Jen, Taoyuan Hsien, Taiwan, ROC
Please replace mousepotato with asiancastings
Old October 10th 04, 02:10 PM
Michael J. Klein

wrote:

[...]

When I was in Japan, my friend's Shimano bike had integral locks. One
was a head lock which does the same thing on my scooter accomplishes.

EPO and Cutoff Point Churchill General 5 July 3rd 04 10:13 PM
Noob Question: Valve Stem Lock Nuts xkred27 General 8 March 14th 04 02:49 PM