Why don't Roadies have bells on their bikes

Old October 26th 04, 10:34 PM
40ish

Default Why don't Roadies have bells on their bikes

Why is it that I have never seen a roadie have a bell on his bike.
Everyone else has them to warn pedestrians.

So why is it that Road bikes are excempt from this ????

Old October 26th 04, 10:43 PM
flyingdutch

40ish Wrote:
Why is it that I have never seen a roadie have a bell on his bike
Everyone else has them to warn pedestrians

So why is it that Road bikes are excempt from this ????

roadies are far less likely to be riding on shared paths, and beside
they dont make a bell in carbon fibre :

--
flyingdutc

Old October 26th 04, 10:46 PM
ritcho

flyingdutch Wrote:
roadies are far less likely to be riding on shared paths, and beside
they dont make a bell in carbon fibre

Was he talking about roadies or shared-pathies?

Ritch

PS. Neither are exempt - it's just that police have got better thing
to do than inspect bicycles for bells

--
ritcho

Old October 26th 04, 10:52 PM
Marty Wallace

"40ish" wrote in message
Why is it that I have never seen a roadie have a bell on his bike.
Everyone else has them to warn pedestrians.

So why is it that Road bikes are excempt from this ????

It depends. During a road race most of the normal road rules are suspended.
For example, you may ride more than two abreast and you may race. However,
out of competetion they are obliged to follow the rules just like everyone
else.
The reality is that roadies think it's way uncool to carry a bell. Just as
wheel reflectors and side stands would look uncool on a nice Bianchi racer.

Marty

Old October 26th 04, 10:54 PM
Dominic Sansom

40ish Wrote:
Why is it that I have never seen a roadie have a bell on his bike.
Everyone else has them to warn pedestrians.

So why is it that Road bikes are excempt from this ????

All that extra weight... are you kidding

--
Dominic Sansom

Old October 27th 04, 12:22 AM
Marty Wallace

"dave" wrote in message
40ish wrote:
Why is it that I have never seen a roadie have a bell on his bike.
Everyone else has them to warn pedestrians.

So why is it that Road bikes are excempt from this ????

Got a voice

I think he meant from a legal point of view. The law requires that bikes
have an audible warning device. Your voice doesn't seem to be covered.

Marty

Old October 27th 04, 12:54 AM
Tamyka Bell

Marty Wallace wrote:

"40ish" wrote in message
Why is it that I have never seen a roadie have a bell on his bike.
Everyone else has them to warn pedestrians.

So why is it that Road bikes are excempt from this ????

It depends. During a road race most of the normal road rules are suspended.
For example, you may ride more than two abreast and you may race. However,
out of competetion they are obliged to follow the rules just like everyone
else.
The reality is that roadies think it's way uncool to carry a bell. Just as
wheel reflectors and side stands would look uncool on a nice Bianchi racer.

Marty

Yep, but that bell and the wheel reflectors look WAY COOL on my
learsport, man...

I think the reality is that roadies think it's way too much hassle to
put the bell on to ride to the race, then take the bell off to race,
then put it back on to ride home.

Old October 27th 04, 01:38 AM
Shabby

ritcho Wrote:
Was he talking about roadies or shared-pathies?

Ritch

PS. Neither are exempt - it's just that police have got better thing
to do than inspect bicycles for bells!

And the bike cops can't catch us on their MTB's

--
Shabby

Old October 27th 04, 02:24 AM
byron27

dave Wrote:
40ish wrote:
Why is it that I have never seen a roadie have a bell on his bike.
Everyone else has them to warn pedestrians.

So why is it that Road bikes are excempt from this ????

Got a voice

i thought you just yell
"Bikes back!!!!"

--
byron27

6'5", curly hair, bit like krusty the clown i spose

Old October 27th 04, 02:42 AM
Mike

40ish wrote:
Why is it that I have never seen a roadie have a bell on his bike.
Everyone else has them to warn pedestrians.

So why is it that Road bikes are excempt from this ????

The same reason that roadies have big wet skid-marks up their backs
when it rains.