Why don't Roadies have bells on their bikes

Old October 27th 04, 03:15 AM
DRS

Default Why don't Roadies have bells on their bikes

"dave" wrote in message

Marty Wallace wrote:

[...]

I think he meant from a legal point of view. The law requires that
bikes have an audible warning device. Your voice doesn't seem to be
covered.

Happy to fight that one in court.
Lets see a magistrate willing to go on record as claiming the voice is
not an audible warning device. lets compare dB output of a 75 cent
bell vs me.

I know the laws an ass. Somehow I doubt tho that that one would make
it to court.

Victorian Road Rules:

258. Equipment on a bicycle

A person must not ride a bicycle that does not have-
(a) at least 1 effective brake; and
(b) a bell, horn, or similar warning device, in working order.
Penalty: 1 penalty unit.

If you truly think you can convince a magistrate that your voice is a
warning device similar to a horn or a bell then all I can say is you should
simply give me your money now because I'll make better use of it.

--

A: Top-posters.

Old October 27th 04, 03:33 AM
Tamyka Bell

Mike wrote:

40ish wrote:
Why is it that I have never seen a roadie have a bell on his bike.
Everyone else has them to warn pedestrians.

So why is it that Road bikes are excempt from this ????

The same reason that roadies have big wet skid-marks up their backs
when it rains.

Oh come on, riding in the rain isn't that scary....

Old October 27th 04, 03:46 AM
TimC

On Wed, 27 Oct 2004 at 02:15 GMT, DRS (aka Bruce)
If you truly think you can convince a magistrate that your voice is a
warning device similar to a horn or a bell then all I can say is you should
simply give me your money now because I'll make better use of it.

I may not win, but I'd say 'What's quicker to do, and more likely to
be heard: A "Hey, idiot, watch where you're going!", or a polite
little "ding ding"'? For me, it takes at least a second to reach for
the bell, so I can only use it when I can see someone well ahead. Even
this morning, I rang it five times to a couple of peds on a bike
track, and they didn't acknowledge or get out of the way, so I had to
go around them in the mud (then up the track a little, I rang it
twice, and got back a "thanks". Heh. I thought I was meant to say
thanks!).

Can you keep your witty comments shorter dude? I can't
make that my sig! --Hipatia
Old October 27th 04, 03:52 AM
DRS

"TimC" wrote in
message

On Wed, 27 Oct 2004 at 02:15 GMT, DRS (aka Bruce)
If you truly think you can convince a magistrate that your voice is a
warning device similar to a horn or a bell then all I can say is you
should simply give me your money now because I'll make better use of
it.

I may not win,

That's a given.

but I'd say 'What's quicker to do, and more likely to
be heard: A "Hey, idiot, watch where you're going!", or a polite
little "ding ding"'? For me, it takes at least a second to reach for
the bell, so I can only use it when I can see someone well ahead. Even
this morning, I rang it five times to a couple of peds on a bike
track, and they didn't acknowledge or get out of the way, so I had to

Air horn.

--

A: Top-posters.

Old October 27th 04, 04:06 AM
TimC

On Wed, 27 Oct 2004 at 02:52 GMT, DRS (aka Bruce)
"TimC" wrote in
message

but I'd say 'What's quicker to do, and more likely to
be heard: A "Hey, idiot, watch where you're going!", or a polite
little "ding ding"'? For me, it takes at least a second to reach for
the bell, so I can only use it when I can see someone well ahead. Even
this morning, I rang it five times to a couple of peds on a bike
track, and they didn't acknowledge or get out of the way, so I had to

Air horn.

Klaxon.

I would also love a 50W halogen, and a surface to ground
missile. Imagine that - some maroon overtakes you, then swerves, slams
on the brakes, and starts reversing into a car park in front of
you. Reach down, touch the button, all while not even putting on the
brakes yourself yet, and then, wham! Vapourised car. Hold your breath
for a second, perhaps close you eyes (if the fireball is still
present) and proceed on through.

Pity the "spike bike" series wasn't longer. It only took me a few
hours one rainy day to read.

If anyone tells me to work smarter, not harder, I will kick him
or her, hard, in a random body part. I will then kick him or her
a second time, "smarter, not harder," which is to say that on the
second strike, I'll use the same force, but target more carefully.
-- Catherine in Scary Devil Monastery
Old October 27th 04, 04:23 AM
hippy

"40ish" wrote in message
Why is it that I have never seen a roadie have a bell on his bike.
Everyone else has them to warn pedestrians.
So why is it that Road bikes are excempt from this ????

Peds shouldn't need a warning on the road... because they
all cross at the lights with a green man don't they? ;-)

no bells hippy

Old October 27th 04, 05:14 AM
velomanct

40ish Wrote:
Why is it that I have never seen a roadie have a bell on his bike.
Everyone else has them to warn pedestrians.

So why is it that Road bikes are excempt from this ????

this is a joke right?

ROTFLMAO

--
velomanct

Old October 27th 04, 05:38 AM
hippy

"Marty Wallace" wrote
"dave" wrote in message
40ish wrote:
Why is it that I have never seen a roadie have a bell on his bike.
Everyone else has them to warn pedestrians.

So why is it that Road bikes are excempt from this ????

Got a voice

I think he meant from a legal point of view. The law requires that bikes
have an audible warning device. Your voice doesn't seem to be covered.

We just pay the fines with our race winnings...

"no race winnings" hippy

Old October 27th 04, 06:17 AM
TimC

On Wed, 27 Oct 2004 at 04:38 GMT, hippy (aka Bruce)
"Marty Wallace" wrote
I think he meant from a legal point of view. The law requires that bikes
have an audible warning device. Your voice doesn't seem to be covered.

We just pay the fines with our race winnings...

"no race winnings" hippy

The point of the race is to come first, not last! Unless you wanted
that wooden spoon

Speaker: They used an alcohol fog to visualize what's happening.
From the audience: That's always worked for me. -- From an astronomy talk
Old October 27th 04, 06:36 AM
Tamyka Bell

TimC wrote:

On Wed, 27 Oct 2004 at 04:38 GMT, hippy (aka Bruce)
"Marty Wallace" wrote
I think he meant from a legal point of view. The law requires that bikes
have an audible warning device. Your voice doesn't seem to be covered.

We just pay the fines with our race winnings...

"no race winnings" hippy

The point of the race is to come first, not last! Unless you wanted
that wooden spoon

That can come in handy when carbo-loading for your next race, you can
use it when cooking spaghetti. Oh wait, that's endurance athletes.