Why don't Roadies have bells on their bikes

Old October 27th 04, 07:16 AM
hippy

Default Why don't Roadies have bells on their bikes

"TimC"
I may not win, but I'd say 'What's quicker to do, and more likely to
be heard: A "Hey, idiot, watch where you're going!", or a polite
little "ding ding"'?

Change the law by arguing that it's safer to have both
hands operating the brakes rather than a bell. Using
your voice as the "warning device" frees your hands
for emergency action..

still no bell hippy

Old October 27th 04, 08:08 AM
TimC

On Wed, 27 Oct 2004 at 06:16 GMT, hippy (aka Bruce)
"TimC"
I may not win, but I'd say 'What's quicker to do, and more likely to
be heard: A "Hey, idiot, watch where you're going!", or a polite
little "ding ding"'?

Change the law by arguing that it's safer to have both
hands operating the brakes rather than a bell. Using
your voice as the "warning device" frees your hands
for emergency action..

If the police pulled me over for not indicating when turning right
over a tramline, I'd probably also argue that it is *much* safer for
me to not indicate, and just go when it is only safe to, than to take
one hand off the handebars and indicate. I've fallen off almost into
oncoming traffic once before with both hands *on*. Then there's the
issue of extending ones hand to the right into oncoming
traffic. Dammit. Lost my arm again

"Perhaps the truth is less interesting than the facts?"
-- Amy Weiss, RIAA's Senior Vice President of Propogander^WCommunications
Old October 27th 04, 08:49 AM
DaveB

TimC wrote:

If the police pulled me over for not indicating when turning right
over a tramline, I'd probably also argue that it is *much* safer for
me to not indicate, and just go when it is only safe to, than to take
one hand off the handebars and indicate. I've fallen off almost into
oncoming traffic once before with both hands *on*. Then there's the
issue of extending ones hand to the right into oncoming
traffic. Dammit. Lost my arm again

Yep and that would be why hand signals for turns on bikes are optional
(in Vic anyway, can't be bothered looking up the exact wording)

DaveB

Old October 27th 04, 09:15 AM

"hippy" == hippy writes:

hippy Peds shouldn't need a warning on the road... because they all
hippy cross at the lights with a green man don't they? ;-)

Only if the lights or crossing are within 20M of where the pedestrian
wants to cross.
--
Regards
Euan
Old October 27th 04, 09:43 AM
NickZX6R

DaveB wrote:
TimC wrote:

If the police pulled me over for not indicating when turning right
over a tramline, I'd probably also argue that it is *much* safer for
me to not indicate, and just go when it is only safe to, than to take
one hand off the handebars and indicate. I've fallen off almost into
oncoming traffic once before with both hands *on*. Then there's the
issue of extending ones hand to the right into oncoming
traffic. Dammit. Lost my arm again

Yep and that would be why hand signals for turns on bikes are optional
(in Vic anyway, can't be bothered looking up the exact wording)

DaveB

Last time I looked, left turn signals were optional and right
signals weren't.

--
Nick
Old October 27th 04, 10:09 AM
TimC

On Wed, 27 Oct 2004 at 08:43 GMT, NickZX6R (aka Bruce)
DaveB wrote:
TimC wrote:
issue of extending ones hand to the right into oncoming
traffic. Dammit. Lost my arm again

Yep and that would be why hand signals for turns on bikes are optional
(in Vic anyway, can't be bothered looking up the exact wording)

DaveB

Last time I looked, left turn signals were optional and right
signals weren't.

That was my understanding.

"Eddies in the space time continuum"
"Oh. Is he?" -- Zem?
Old October 27th 04, 11:22 AM
DaveB

DaveB wrote:

TimC wrote:

issue of extending ones hand to the right into oncoming
traffic. Dammit. Lost my arm again

Yep and that would be why hand signals for turns on bikes are optional
(in Vic anyway, can't be bothered looking up the exact wording)

DaveB

Last time I looked, left turn signals were optional and right
signals weren't.

That was my understanding.

Squelch (the sound of me falling on my sword). I stand corrected (and
checked on vicroads site). Seems crazy to me though. There are a couple
of right-turns on my way home and there is no way known I'm taking my
hands off the bars and brakes at those spots, especially the downhill
ones. Oh well add that to the list of illegalities on my commute.

DaveB

Old October 27th 04, 12:42 PM
ProfTournesol

flyingdutch Wrote:
roadies are far less likely to be riding on shared paths, and beside
they dont make a bell in carbon fibre

I've got the Carbon fibre shelled bell with the drilled titanium dinge
inside it. beautiful piece of engineering, especially when you can bu
the bell-enhanced Ergolever that has a little button for activation o
the bell without taking your hands off the hoods. problem is that th
bell doesn't make any noise:-

--
ProfTournesol

Old October 27th 04, 12:47 PM
Shane Stanley

In article ,
flyingdutch wrote:

besides they dont make a bell in carbon fibre

I smell an opportunity -- the plastic freaks would be torn between
looking cool and looking cool...

--
Shane Stanley
Old October 27th 04, 01:21 PM
K&C Russell

wrote in message ...
"hippy" == hippy writes:

hippy Peds shouldn't need a warning on the road... because they all
hippy cross at the lights with a green man don't they? ;-)

Only if the lights or crossing are within 20M of where the pedestrian
wants to cross.
--
Regards
Euan

Gotta love the piddlestrian I got a couple of weeks ago in Ivanhoe. Walked
right in front of commuter MTB - No Bell, Just Yell. piddlestrian panics in
her strappy little shoes, tries to stop, rips straps out of soles trying to
avoid being run over by "friendly" cyclist. They were lovely shoes
....Chuckle. as she hobbled away. I don't think she will do that again.

Kev