Kennedy Cycle Fit, Melbourne

Old May 26th 05, 04:54 AM
531Aussie

Default Kennedy Cycle Fit, Melbourne

There's a thread in the Aus NZ section about Kennedy's cycle fit, bu
I'm wondering if any others have had a fit from John Kennedy in Blac
Rock, Melbourne

thank

--
531Aussie

Old May 26th 05, 05:25 AM
flyingdutch

531Aussie Wrote:
There's a thread in the Aus NZ section about Kennedy's cycle fit, bu
I'm wondering if any others have had a fit from John Kennedy in Blac
Rock, Melbourne

thanks

know 3 people. one happy the other 2 wanting to stick pins i
Kennedy-dolls due to **** bikes built. There, i have said it. previoul
yonly alluded to slightly unhappy customers

FWIW Lee at CecilWaker is 'da man' where it comes to fit IMH

--
flyingdutch

Old May 26th 05, 05:48 AM
Carl Brewer

On Thu, 26 May 2005 14:25:17 +1000, flyingdutch
wrote:

531Aussie Wrote:
There's a thread in the Aus NZ section about Kennedy's cycle fit, but
I'm wondering if any others have had a fit from John Kennedy in Black
Rock, Melbourne

thanks

know 3 people. one happy the other 2 wanting to stick pins in
Kennedy-dolls due to **** bikes built. There, i have said it. previouls
yonly alluded to slightly unhappy customers

FWIW Lee at CecilWaker is 'da man' where it comes to fit IMHO

I recommend to my riders that they go and see John Beasley
if they're having position issues.

Old May 26th 05, 07:06 AM
rooman

flyingdutch Wrote:
know 3 people. one happy the other 2 wanting to stick pins i
Kennedy-dolls due to **** bikes built. There, i have said it. previoul
yonly alluded to slightly unhappy customer

FWIW Lee at CecilWaker is 'da man' where it comes to fit IMHO

-Interesting AerialDutch!, if you know WHY they want to stick pins i
JK dolls, rather than just that they do, may be very telling!
-Anyone not happy with JK usually, either mislead him, wanted to fix
problem they already had that was some one elses doing and still blame
JK for it, (from some other LBS or private deal that went sour) or the
just didnt want to spend the correct bucks for a long term solution
Sure, FWIW, true , Lee is a cool dude and does a good job, an
similarly MY2BOB'sW, JK is a wealth of experience, has hard to match
road and track smarts and can equate that to a a solution if th
problem is fully and frankly admitted to by the client....

-Me thinks they pobably purchased a 2nd hand or base stock bike for
low price, not a custom, and then went off and played with it...unlike
JK had much of a contribution to their level of glee!.....JK custo
bikes are actualy fabricated to JK's specs by one of Australia's bes
frame builders- respected and used at elite level as well as down to u
plebs...if it wasnt a custom they got, then perhaps they just wanted
cheap ride and got what they paid for ( and what they wouild have bee
told they were getting too!!) JK doesnt hold back on your ride...ever!

-I may be wrong, but if they could actually tell us WHY...we may get
decent item out of this Thread....rather than sticking pins in a gu
who, from my personal experience , is a wealth of help, above an
beyond what most LBS's deliver.....

-He fixed my LBS problem well and truly , and is in mid custom build a
this time for me...so watch this space for another review when th
treddly is on the road....

--
rooman

Old May 26th 05, 07:28 AM
flyingdutch

rooman Wrote:
-Interesting AerialDutch!, if you know WHY they want to stick pins in J
[...]

fair enuff! the one i met (and saw) on the Alpine Classic ride 2 year
ago was a frame specc'd and built/organised by JK and was a joke!
the tyr clearance between the rearwheel and the seat tube was abou
1.5mm (23mm tyres too!) and the guy had asked for a audax-friendly bik
!!!

The other bike was also a JK built bike which arrived from him with
make-d0 50mm stem!!! now WTF is wrong with building the toptube 60m
shorter and using a more standard 110(ish) stem???

i realise most fit/fiddle scenarios between LBS and a rider are du
tomisinformation or rider taking it home and having a fiddle but thes
2 bikes were how JK handed them over FFSake

So, yes my sample of JK only contains 2 validated examples, but heyzoo
what monumental cockups they were

--
flyingdutch

Old May 26th 05, 07:40 AM
Carl Brewer

On Thu, 26 May 2005 16:06:21 +1000, rooman
wrote:

flyingdutch Wrote:
know 3 people. one happy the other 2 wanting to stick pins in
Kennedy-dolls due to **** bikes built. There, i have said it. previouls
yonly alluded to slightly unhappy customers

FWIW Lee at CecilWaker is 'da man' where it comes to fit IMHO

-Interesting AerialDutch!, if you know WHY they want to stick pins in
JK dolls, rather than just that they do, may be very telling!-

For all the usual reasons, I'd guess. JK and Steve Hogg have a system
that they apply with regards to a specific school of thought re
bike fit, which, as with all systems, has its devotees and its
rigourous detractors. I know a number of people who swear
by JK bikes and fit, and a number who swear at him
instead. It would be sufficient to say that his methods are
controversial, and tend to attract religious devotion
or jihad, and not much in between.

All hearsay, I've never met him or had a fit by him,
but some of my riders have. I'm only going on what they've
told me.

-Anyone not happy with JK usually, either mislead him, wanted to fix a
problem they already had that was some one elses doing and still blamed
JK for it, (from some other LBS or private deal that went sour) or they
just didnt want to spend the correct bucks for a long term solution.
Sure, FWIW, true , Lee is a cool dude and does a good job, and
similarly MY2BOB'sW, JK is a wealth of experience, has hard to match,
road and track smarts and can equate that to a a solution if the
problem is fully and frankly admitted to by the client....-

-Me thinks they pobably purchased a 2nd hand or base stock bike for a
low price, not a custom, and then went off and played with it...unlikey
JK had much of a contribution to their level of glee!.....JK custom
bikes are actualy fabricated to JK's specs by one of Australia's best
frame builders- respected and used at elite level as well as down to us
plebs...if it wasnt a custom they got, then perhaps they just wanted a
cheap ride and got what they paid for ( and what they wouild have been
told they were getting too!!) JK doesnt hold back on your ride...ever!-

-I may be wrong, but if they could actually tell us WHY...we may get a
decent item out of this Thread....rather than sticking pins in a guy
who, from my personal experience , is a wealth of help, above and
beyond what most LBS's deliver.....-

You'll note that neither FD or I have said anything bad about JK,
but have suggested alternatives for fits and relayed that not
everyone's experience with him has been satisfactory. Anyone
in business is going to have unsatisfied clients sometimes,
for any number of reasons, be them real or perceived.

-He fixed my LBS problem well and truly , and is in mid custom build at
this time for me...so watch this space for another review when the
treddly is on the road.... -

What works for you is great, and obviously you're a JK "believer".
It's not realistic to expect everyone else to be the same. Please
take my comments with healthy skepticism (I'm sure you
will, but I want to make it extra clear!) , JK is in a way a
competitor of mine and as such, my comments are probably
biased. I'm declaring a conflict of interest.

I'm not going to bag what he does, but I am going to suggest
alternatives based on my experiences with sending riders to get fitted
when they're having problems and the feedback I've had from
those riders. I don't do tricky bike fits, I send my clients to see
John Beasley, and I've never heard a bad thing said about
his methods, results, manner and value.

Old May 26th 05, 07:53 AM
531Aussie

rooman Wrote:
He fixed my LBS problem well and truly , and is in mid custom build a
this time for me...so watch this space for another review when th
treddly is on the road....

Roomen, who sold you the bike that was too small for you, and wha
brand is it?

thank

--
531Aussie

Old May 26th 05, 08:23 AM
Carl Brewer

On Thu, 26 May 2005 16:28:05 +1000, flyingdutch
wrote:

fair enuff! the one i met (and saw) on the Alpine Classic ride 2 years
ago was a frame specc'd and built/organised by JK and was a joke!
the tyr clearance between the rearwheel and the seat tube was about
1.5mm (23mm tyres too!) and the guy had asked for a audax-friendly bike
!!!

My 3rd hand understanding of the basic setup that JK/SH does is to
have riders sitting a -long- way back, ie: super-relaxed seat tube
angles - this can lead to very interesting geometries around the rear
triangle if the rider's body doesn't suit that position with 700c
wheels and you want a straight seat-tube and chainstays that
aren't disturbingly long. The same effect can be achieved with a
setback seatpost and a short stem. JK also sells these posts and
stems I believe. You can usually tell someone who's been to JK and
bought into his position. They have a funky seatpost that has them
sitting a long long way back over the back wheel.

Old May 26th 05, 08:39 AM
DaveB

flyingdutch wrote:
the tyr clearance between the rearwheel and the seat tube was about
1.5mm (23mm tyres too!) and the guy had asked for a audax-friendly bike

My old roadie (now single speed) had even less than that. When I bought
a floor pump and started pumping the rear tyre beyond 100 psi it would
rub against the frame. Had to buy 20mm tyres for it. Then Hippy gave me
a wheel which I used for the single speed project which must seat the
tyre slightly different because I can use 23mm tyres, and have about 1mm
clearance. And this was on fairly standard Apollo frame, nothing custom
about that.

DaveB
Old May 26th 05, 12:38 PM
Craig

Search this newsgroup in google and you will see this question pops up a bit
with varying opinions.

"531Aussie" wrote in
message ...

Kennedy Cycle Fit MikeyOz Australia 11 March 29th 05 05:08 AM
London cycle lanes to be enforced Richard Bates UK 28 August 9th 04 01:52 PM
The Cycle gods are smiling today in Melbourne coowoowoo Australia 31 June 4th 04 08:30 AM
Can you legally cycle on a public right of way in Scotland? Simon Brooke UK 26 October 1st 03 05:49 PM