Kennedy Cycle Fit, Melbourne

Old May 27th 05, 07:57 AM
ProfTournesol

Default Kennedy Cycle Fit, Melbourne

531Aussie Wrote:
I find both of these circumstances very unusual.

John (usually) strongly recommends long chain stays, especially on al
bikes (approx 430mm, from my crude measurements).

And it seems as though other people claim they were put on -LONG
stems!!!!????? So which is it?

The circumstances must've been very strange for short stays and shor
stems to eventuate.
It just doesn't sound right.

my experience (from having a tall wife with long legs and a shorte
body) is that John recommended long chainstays as her bike is very hig
and otherwise unstable, but shorter stem as her trunk and reach ar
shorter. It works:-

--
ProfTournesol

Old May 27th 05, 02:18 PM
rooman

Tamyka Bell Wrote:
rooman wrote

Why are triathletes forward? Do you mean why do we use a steeper sea
tube angle

http://tinyurl.com/b7d6

Tam

must be the skimpy wet duds before the bike transition!....

oh...seat tube angle!...yep, thats it....some how they like to SI
forward and ultra low in the drops, back busting, slowing an
counterproductive to most...just a few ultra flexi rubber backs can ge
down, stay down and still be efficient....most cant, peddle like mad
then blow up and wonder why all that training still didnt work

just prefer them to be forward...makes a conversation at a party ge
more interesting much quicker!

--
rooman

Old May 27th 05, 02:31 PM
rooman

ProfTournesol Wrote:
my experience (from having a tall wife with long legs and a shorte
body) is that John recommended long chainstays as her bike is very hig
and otherwise unstable, but shorter stem as her trunk and reach ar
shorter. It works:-)

prezachary! that was his (John's) comment today in addition to shorte
riders, there are those with just shorter reach who still need a lon
top bar to get the V between down tube and seat tube right providing
wheelbase that is safe... a stem therefore can be any length as long a
it delivers safety and efficiency, in synch with the physiology an
aspirations of the rider.....

I was in the city tonight saw more bikes in one place than one usuall
sees, (you now... the last friday of the month!!) ...and noted heaps o
bikes with stems between zero and 50mm...so FD, they are out there, the
have a purpose and they will keep coming from all quarters...

maybe you might tell us why you feel a stem has to be longer than 50mm
now that you can see scenarios where they are necessary!, or is th
premise you held no longer tenable?...just curious....'cos JK woul
like to know?:

--
rooman

Old May 27th 05, 02:41 PM
eb

"Tamyka" == Tamyka Bell writes:

Tamyka Why are triathletes forward? Do you mean why do we use a
Tamyka steeper seat tube angle?

I've read it's because triathletes have more developed hamstrings than
cyclists, hence triathletes prefer to use their hammys more than
cyclists do. Sitting forward encourages hamstring use apparently.
--
Cheers
Euan
Old May 28th 05, 12:16 AM
Bob

just curious....'cos JK would
like to know?

Are you JK in disguise?

Old May 28th 05, 08:13 AM
Tamyka Bell

On Fri, 27 May 2005, rooman wrote:

Tamyka Bell Wrote:
rooman wrote:

Why are triathletes forward? Do you mean why do we use a steeper seat
tube angle?

http://tinyurl.com/b7d6j

Tam

must be the skimpy wet duds before the bike transition!.....

oh...seat tube angle!...yep, thats it....some how they like to SIT
forward and ultra low in the drops, back busting, slowing and
counterproductive to most...just a few ultra flexi rubber backs can get
down, stay down and still be efficient....most cant, peddle like mad,
then blow up and wonder why all that training still didnt work!

just prefer them to be forward...makes a conversation at a party get
more interesting much quicker!!

--
rooman

Well, excuse my misinterpretation of forward. Forward to me implies the
seat is forward. When someone is down on drops or bars, I would use the
term down. So I included an article that showed scientifically that if you
put your seat forward, you run faster afterwards. Yay!

If someone had a very flexible lower back, down on the bars/drops would be
a bad place, leaving the lower back flexed for so long. I find being down
on the bars very, very comfortable, and have a flat lower back in this
position. It's more about hamstring flexibility, I guess. Being able to do
splits in suspension probably helps that.

Tam
Old May 28th 05, 08:15 AM
Tamyka Bell

On Fri, 27 May 2005, eb wrote:

"Tamyka" == Tamyka Bell writes:

Tamyka Why are triathletes forward? Do you mean why do we use a
Tamyka steeper seat tube angle?

I've read it's because triathletes have more developed hamstrings than
cyclists, hence triathletes prefer to use their hammys more than
cyclists do. Sitting forward encourages hamstring use apparently.
--
Cheers
Euan

Current theory is that sitting forward recruits your muscles more
similarly to running; therefore there is less of a "transition" (as in
muscular recruitment, not changing your shoes), so the triathlete can fun
faster off the bike. Yay!

Tam
Old May 28th 05, 10:35 AM
Marty

Tamyka Bell wrote:
On Fri, 27 May 2005, eb wrote:

"Tamyka" == Tamyka Bell writes:

Tamyka Why are triathletes forward? Do you mean why do we use a
Tamyka steeper seat tube angle?

I've read it's because triathletes have more developed hamstrings than
cyclists, hence triathletes prefer to use their hammys more than
cyclists do. Sitting forward encourages hamstring use apparently.
--
Cheers
Euan

Current theory is that sitting forward recruits your muscles more
similarly to running; therefore there is less of a "transition" (as in
muscular recruitment, not changing your shoes), so the triathlete can
fun faster off the bike. Yay!

Tam

If sitting foward made me run faster after a cycle I'd have to be
sitting on the handlebars!

Sigh....

Marty
Old May 28th 05, 12:30 PM
Tamyka Bell

On Sat, 28 May 2005, Marty wrote:

Tamyka Bell wrote:
On Fri, 27 May 2005, eb wrote:

"Tamyka" == Tamyka Bell writes:

[...]

Don't stop there. Sit on the back of the bike in front.

Tam
Old May 28th 05, 03:24 PM
Marty

Tamyka Bell wrote:

On Fri, 27 May 2005, eb wrote:

"Tamyka" == Tamyka Bell writes:

[...]

Tinker

Reminds me of some great friends of mine that did my Marathon Relay
together. They came down to do the event after having just married a few
days before. They did the bike section on a tandem with a "Just Married"
sign and tin cans and streamers tied to the back of the bike. They did
the canoe section in a double kayak and they even found a tandem
mountain bike to do the mountain bike section (requires a lot of guts),
and they ran together. The only place where they split up was he did the
swim and she did the horse ride.
In the sme event the year before we dyed her white horse pink with food
dye. She didn't know until she got out from after the swim!
Good fun.

Marty

Kennedy Cycle Fit MikeyOz Australia 11 March 29th 05 05:08 AM
London cycle lanes to be enforced Richard Bates UK 28 August 9th 04 01:52 PM
The Cycle gods are smiling today in Melbourne coowoowoo Australia 31 June 4th 04 08:30 AM
Can you legally cycle on a public right of way in Scotland? Simon Brooke UK 26 October 1st 03 05:49 PM