An Inconvenient Truth

Old June 9th 06, 09:23 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides

Default An Inconvenient Truth

On 09 Jun 2006 03:30:07 GMT, wrote:

BTW, I'm old enough to remember the same dire 1970's warnings about
the coming ice age that was gonna freeze us all out in the near
future. Got just as many people just as wound up as the whole global
warming thing does today.

Who predicted an ice age.

Revisionists.
I think Mr. Hickey has morphed the fears about a possible "nuclear
winter", following a nuclear war, into his "ice age" from childhood.
--
zk
Old June 9th 06, 10:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides

Mark Hickey wrote:
Zoot Katz wrote:

On 09 Jun 2006 03:30:07 GMT, wrote:

BTW, I'm old enough to remember the same dire 1970's warnings about
the coming ice age that was gonna freeze us all out in the near
future. Got just as many people just as wound up as the whole global
warming thing does today.
Who predicted an ice age.

Revisionists.
I think Mr. Hickey has morphed the fears about a possible "nuclear
winter", following a nuclear war, into his "ice age" from childhood.

But then why did you trim the link showing the ACTUAL significant
cooling from the 40's to the '70s, and the associated discussion from
that era?

I think Mr. Katz didn't check out the link, and is shooting from the
hip.

Mark Hickey
Habanero Cycles
http://www.habcycles.com
Home of the $795 ti frame

I am with Mark here since I remember some of the events.
Winter of 1962-1963 when I lived in the Chicago area and one morning I
got up to go to school and it was 26 degrees below zero F, not C.
On the radio it was -35 in Minneapolis, both all time record cold.
In California from 1963 to about 1975 it used to snow on the mountains
around Silicon Valley and I used to bicycle or Car up to the snow.
In 1973 (maybe 1972) it snowed in the valley, very memorable because
some friends and I were making a beer run and our car got snowed over in
the time we were in the store BS'ing with the owner. Friday or Saturday
night, one of the two.
The cooling was real, just as the current heating is now. I think it was
just last year that London had an all time high in the 100's, which has
not happened since recorded history.
We MUST be having some effect.
Bill Baka
Old June 10th 06, 07:31 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides

On Fri, 09 Jun 2006 05:57:11 -0700, Mark Hickey
wrote:

Zoot Katz wrote:

On 09 Jun 2006 03:30:07 GMT, wrote:

BTW, I'm old enough to remember the same dire 1970's warnings about
the coming ice age that was gonna freeze us all out in the near
future. Got just as many people just as wound up as the whole global
warming thing does today.

Who predicted an ice age.

Revisionists.
I think Mr. Hickey has morphed the fears about a possible "nuclear
winter", following a nuclear war, into his "ice age" from childhood.

But then why did you trim the link showing the ACTUAL significant
cooling from the 40's to the '70s, and the associated discussion from
that era?

There is no linked URL in the message I quoted:

I only started browsing the thread and have no intention of reading
through a thread which was early on diverted into an ideological
political issue by the resident freepers.

I think Mr. Katz didn't check out the link, and is shooting from the
hip.

I believe the expression is "shooting from the lip". Forgive me,
"Nuclear Winter" was an '80's thing.

predicted Ice Age - yeah, same scenario.
Media (controlled by your NWO Bilderberg buddies) misrepresented the
actual science. For example:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_cooling

"The Washington Post reports that in 1974 the National Science Board,
the governing body of the National Science Foundation, stated:
During the last 20 to 30 years, world temperature has fallen,
irregularly at first but more sharply over the last decade.

This statement is correct (see Historical temperature record)
although the Washington Post quotes it with disapproval. The Post
says the Board had observed two years earlier:
Judging from the record of the past inter glacial ages, the present
time of high temperatures should be drawing to an end . . . leading
into the next glacial age.

This quote is taken quite out of context, however, and is misleading
as it stands. A more complete quote is:
Judging from the record of the past inter glacial ages, the present
time of high temperatures should be drawing to an end ... leading
into the next glacial age. However, it is possible, or even likely,
than human interference has already altered the environment so much
that the climatic pattern of the near future will follow a different
path. . ."

Here's a link you may care to read before responding
http://www.wmconnolley.org.uk/sci/iceage/

You've been duped by your mafia's pollsters like Frank Luntz who
penned a rather infamous memo which read, in part:

"The scientific debate is closing [against us] but not yet closed.
There is still a window of opportunity to challenge the science,"

"Voters believe that there is no consensus about global warming
within the scientific community. Should the public come to believe
that the scientific issues are settled, their views about global
warming will change accordingly.

"Therefore, you need to continue to make the lack of scientific
certainty a primary issue in the debate.". . . "A compelling story,
even if factually inaccurate, can be more emotionally compelling than
a dry recitation of the truth,"

I'm not going to bother searching for your linked sources. Especially
they're as spurious as the totally discredited sources you've quoted
before. I'm thinking of that home-schooled bunch of
fundamentalist/survivalist nutbars in Oregon, OISM, and their often
touted "petition project" claiming that thousands of scientist had
signed.
Further investigation shows that most of those "scientists" signing
that petition never studied climatology. The whole thing was cooked
up by a PR firm.
--
zk
Old June 10th 06, 08:06 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides

Default Vote Republican, Vote for Armageddon!

Werehatrack wrote:
On Thu, 8 Jun 2006 20:47:44 -0700, "Floyd Rogers"
wrote:

wrote
Just a snippet or two:

You may have heard of the "Snows of Kilamanjaro"... today there is no
snow, or ice on that mountain that was once a broad topped white loaf
the year around.

Wrong. There is still ice and snow there. However, it is believed
that it will be gone soon. The tourist trade has picked up a lot because
people want to see it before it's gone.

Photos I have seen, taken over a long but scattered succession of
years in April of each, reveal that the snows have retreated to the
point that we will almost certainly see their end in the next 5 to 10
years. They are considerably smaller than at any time in recorded
history, and none of the glaciers which covered the mountain's flanks
for the past 11,000 years are now intact; many have no remnants at
all.

You may have heard of the largest inland sea, the Aral sea. You will
see instead a desert with larger commercial fishing boats scattered in
the sand.

Not caused by global warming. Caused by diversions for (mostly
cotton) crops.

That's part of it, but the major problem is that there has been a
significant reduction in the runoff that feeds the rivers which
formerly flowed into the Aral. The agricultural diversion's cessation
would not refill the sea to its former level at this point;
evaporation would still keep it at a much lower level. The Aral would
be much larger than it is, but also far smaller than it was by a large
margin, if the agricultural diversion had not been made...and the
difference can't be attributed to anything but climatological change.

And then there's the expansion of the Sahara and Sahel, the loss of
150 cubic kilometers of the Antarctic ice cap to melting in the past
20 years, the continued melting of the Greenland ice cap, the
unprecedented opening of a Northwest Passage for two years in a row,
the fact that the climate in my own area now supports trees and
vegetation that would have been killed by freezing weather previously,
and loads of other observable indicators that things are not as they
should be, and are getting steadily worse.

But, of course, some people will ignore all of the evidence that's
under their own noses simply because they dislike the politics of the
person delivering the message, or they have been convinced to distrust
the message itself by the continuing PR campaign of US business
interests, or because they simply do not want to have to confront the
necessities which will shortly be visited upon them when the
"fearmongers" are proven correct.

Of course, when the really bad stuff starts to kick in, the people who
are currently denying that there's a problem will split into two
groups; one will blame the messengers for not telling them that
something was wrong sooner (even though they were, in fact, being told
just that), and the other will blame the environmentalists for
interfering with their ability to simply mine more fuel so that they
could just run their AC units a little harder until things settled
back to normal.

There's going to be a new "normal", and lots of people aren't going to
like it.

And there are still others who work hard on destruction, so they can
say: "Gee, I told you so, Armageddon is coming soon!"

Vote for Republican, Vote for Armageddon!

Old June 11th 06, 04:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides

Zoot Katz wrote:
I'm not going to bother searching for your linked sources. Especially
they're as spurious as the totally discredited sources you've quoted
before. I'm thinking of that home-schooled bunch of
fundamentalist/survivalist nutbars in Oregon, OISM, and their often
touted "petition project" claiming that thousands of scientist had
signed.
Further investigation shows that most of those "scientists" signing
that petition never studied climatology. The whole thing was cooked
up by a PR firm.
--
zk

The whole Global Warming issue is bogus. And so is smoking...

Oh, sorry, now Phillip Morris has acknowledge the Truth and even helps
smokers to quit. That's Exxon and Mobil in the future. Too little, too
late.