Fla. 8-Year-Old Gets Traffic Ticket For Bike Mishap (irresponsible idiot parents refuse to pay)

Old October 26th 03, 08:04 PM
Buck

Default Fla. 8-Year-Old Gets Traffic Ticket For Bike Mishap(irresponsible idiot parents refuse to pay)

"Frank Krygowski" wrote in message

I can only imagine that that Safe Kids spokewoman had hired help to do
the laundry, cook the meals, wash the floors, etc. Either that, or she
tied her kids down in front of a TV until she was prepared to carefully
watch over their play!

I'm never surprised to learn that the people pushing all of this "safety"
crap don't have kids of their own.

I once had a girlfriend who was a big opponent of spanking as a punishment.
So, I got her a labrador retriever puppy. She soon learned that you can't
reason with a dog, and a gentle tap on the nose gets the point across in a
hurry.

She realized the foolishness of her stance. Perhaps everyone should raise a
big dog before they are allowed to raise a child.

-Buck

Old October 26th 03, 08:57 PM
Mike Kruger

"Buck" s c h w i n n _ f o r _ s a l e @ h o t m a i l . c o m wrote in
message ...

I'm never surprised to learn that the people pushing all of this "safety"
crap don't have kids of their own.

It's not just safety crap. It's advice in general.

My own subjective rating of "How well do I understand how to raise kids"
took a big nose-dive when I became a father.

My own parents suddenly seemed a lot smarter, too.

Bicycle content: One of my highlight rides of the year came when I visited
my youngest earlier this month. We had just packed her off to school in
August. At HER request, we got the tandem out and did a nice, 60+ mile
ride, which was slightly longer than intended due to our unfamiliarity with
the area. You get a lot of time to talk about stuff on a tandem.

Old October 27th 03, 03:37 AM
Frank Krygowski

Mike Kruger wrote:

My own subjective rating of "How well do I understand how to raise kids"
took a big nose-dive when I became a father.

My own parents suddenly seemed a lot smarter, too.

Mark Twain wrote about something like that. I won't be able to quote
exactly, but it went something like this.

"When I was 18, I was convinced my father was the dumbest person on
earth. By the time I'd turned 21, I was amazed at how much he had learned."

Actually, Mark (or Samuel) was a pretty bright guy. Most young men
don't catch on until _well_ past 21!

--
Frank Krygowski

Old October 27th 03, 03:44 AM
GWB

"Buck" s c h w i n n _ f o r _ s a l e @ h o t m a i l . c o m wrote in
message ...
"The Real Bev" wrote in message

Imagine their reaction when confronted with a video tape of their little
brat being a little brat. At least all of them skipped immediately out of
denial and switched into
kill-the-little-brat-before-he-causes-another-problem mode.

These parents are perpetuating the bully behavior. If you show a child that
hitting is a viable way of effecting desires, then that's what they will do.

Old October 27th 03, 05:53 AM
Zoot Katz

Sun, 26 Oct 2003 22:37:47 -0500, , Frank
Krygowski wrote:

My own parents suddenly seemed a lot smarter, too.

Mark Twain wrote about something like that. I won't be able to quote
exactly, but it went something like this.

"When I was a boy of fourteen, my father was so ignorant I could
hardly stand to have the old man around. But when I got to be
twenty-one, I was astonished at how much the old man had learned in
seven years."

-attributed by Reader's Digest, Sept. 1937. This quote has been
attributed to Mark Twain, but until the attribution can be verified,
the quote should not be regarded as authentic.
--
zk
Old October 27th 03, 07:18 PM
Rick Onanian

On Sun, 26 Oct 2003 10:16:16 +1100, Arpit
wrote:
On Sat, 25 Oct 2003 17:41:22 +0200, "Johann S."
wrote:

It's much more
fun than driving miss daisy with a bloody helmet on.

hmm, we dont wear helmets for sex here...yet

No, that was "Driving Miss Daisy Crazy". "Driving Miss Daisy" was a
movie about an elderly lady whose black chauffeur teaches her to
drive, or something.

Of course, I'm probably the only person here who's seen "Driving
Miss Daisy Crazy".
--
Rick Onanian
Old October 27th 03, 08:14 PM
Rick Onanian

I hope I don't end up in another helmet war, but...

On Sun, 26 Oct 2003 11:52:49 -0500, Frank Krygowski
wrote:
I repeat: "Bike Safety, the American version." It's all about the hat.

Could be worse.
Could be:
"Chain of command, Catholic version": It's all about the hat.
--
Rick "Bigger hat == closer to god???" Onanian
Old October 28th 03, 12:26 AM
Chalo

"Arthur Harris" wrote:

In some states, parents are only responsible for the "willful misconduct" of
their kids. If the kid didn't deliberately cause the damge, they're off the
hook. (I learned that from watching Judge Wapner on "The Peoples Court.")

Personally, I think the kid and/or parents should face some consequences.

What a load of crap. Any motorist who can't drive such as to avoid
mowing down children should be stripped of the right, and quickly.

Society has no social contract with 8-year-olds that would oblige them
to observe traffic laws. And do we want a society that's safe for
cars, or one that's safe for kids? I know my answer.

Chalo Colina
Old October 28th 03, 12:49 AM
Chalo

The Real Bev wrote:

But in this case the kid DID get caught. Sensible parents would make
him pay restitution, pay something additional for punishment, and give
him some extra punishment for being careless and getting caught.

Don't know what you mean by "sensible". Parents whose values were not
grossly skewed by car-centrism would be more likely to track down the
person whose motor-driven careless disregard nearly killed their kid,
and lay on an ass whipping that would leave him/her somewhere between
remorseful and permanently disabled.

Why would you wish to live in a world where children must pay the
price so that adult motorists can escape the consequences of their
actions?

Chalo Colina
Old October 28th 03, 01:16 AM
Sorni

"Chalo" wrote in message
om...
"Arthur Harris" wrote:

Personally, I think the kid and/or parents should face some

consequences.

What a load of crap. Any motorist who can't drive such as to avoid
mowing down children should be stripped of the right, and quickly.

Society has no social contract with 8-year-olds that would oblige them
to observe traffic laws. And do we want a society that's safe for
cars, or one that's safe for kids? I know my answer.

Nice troll.

So the next time a kid runs out from a hidden driveway or something in front
of you on your bike, you'll take full responsibility for both of your
injuries -- AND give up your "right" to ride?!?

Didn't think so.

Bill "mowing down children my ass" S.