Recumbents in NYC?

Old October 30th 09, 03:01 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,nyc.bicycles,rec.bicycles.misc
Bill Baka

Default Recumbents in NYC?

Edward Dolan wrote:
"Tom Keats" wrote in message
In article ,
"Edward Dolan" writes:

The very best places for cyclists to enjoy their rides are in small
towns.
You will be safer there and still be able to do a lot of miles.

I like riding in my hometown medium-sized city, 'cuz
it affords places to go to and, things to do.

Riding here in Vancouver BC is as safe as you make it.

Tell yuh what: I've come to hate riding through the
wilderness for the sole purpose of getting to the
other end, and then heading home again. I already
know what a bunch of trees looks like.

A lot of empty miles is a waste of my time.

I think Tom Keats and I are on the same page here. I prefer to ride my bike
around town too as opposed to riding in the countryside. Almost any town
will present plenty of opportunities to create a ride that is both enjoyable
and interesting. Once I leave town, I have got to be going somewhere or else
it is a waste of time and energy.

Look at this way - folks have spend most of their lives caring for their
houses and properties. Is it not worthwhile to have a closer look at what is
the result of all this time and effort. In fact, I would say slow down so
you can get a better look at it all. Just riding your bike to pile up the
miles is a form of insanity.

Indeed ... places to go and things to see and do! Your hometown!

Regards,

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
aka

Well, Mr. Ed,
We are on the same page then. I go out to enjoy the ride, meet people,
and explore side streets I might never even have seen in the car. Many
of my tools are road kill specials that fell out of some red necks'
truck and bounced into the weeds. I hate riding the same roads over and
over and I am not in training for anything more than my own health, so
what if I average 20 MPH and talk to nobody or 10 MPH and stop at every
little hint of a sale, I am enjoying myself and staying fit. I have 39
years left in 'my' Century and want them to be more than saddle sore and
sweaty showers every day.
Trees?
California sucks for trees in the central valley since they were cut
down for all the damned rice farming, so when I find a tree, I take time
to enjoy the shade.
As for Minnesota, I have lived there and vacationed there many times,
and the trees are so nice after the City, why are you complaining??

Bill Baka
Old October 30th 09, 03:34 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,nyc.bicycles,rec.bicycles.misc
Edward Dolan

"Bill Baka" wrote in message
Edward Dolan wrote:
"Tom Keats" wrote in message
In article ,
"Edward Dolan" writes:

[...]

Look at it this way - folks have spent most of their lives caring for
their houses and properties. Is it not worthwhile to have a closer look
at what is the result of all this time and effort. In fact, I would say
slow down so you can get a better look at it. Just riding your bike to
pile up the miles is a form of insanity.

Indeed ... places to go and things to see and do! Your hometown!

Well, Mr. Ed,
We are on the same page then. I go out to enjoy the ride, meet people, and
explore side streets I might never even have seen in the car. Many of my
tools are road kill specials that fell out of some red necks' truck and
bounced into the weeds. I hate riding the same roads over and over and I
am not in training for anything more than my own health, so what if I
average 20 MPH and talk to nobody or 10 MPH and stop at every little hint
of a sale, I am enjoying myself and staying fit. I have 39 years left in
'my' Century and want them to be more than saddle sore and sweaty showers
every day.

Well, Bill, have I not said many times before that you are a genius and a
wise man just like me. It is only us older guys who have any sense.

Trees?
California sucks for trees in the central valley since they were cut down
for all the damned rice farming, so when I find a tree, I take time to
enjoy the shade.
As for Minnesota, I have lived there and vacationed there many times, and
the trees are so nice after the City, why are you complaining??

It is only the weather here that I do not like. I consider California a
paradise compared to Minnesota. The summers here go by like quicksilver, but
the winters seem to last forever. Frankly, I do not recommend Minnesota to
anyone who likes the out of doors.

Old October 30th 09, 03:46 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,nyc.bicycles,rec.bicycles.misc
Edward Dolan

"Bill Baka" wrote in message
[...]
California sucks for trees in the central valley since they were cut down
for all the damned rice farming, so when I find a tree, I take time to
enjoy the shade.
As for Minnesota, I have lived there and vacationed there many times, and
the trees are so nice after the City, why are you complaining??

Bill Baka

Bill, nobody loves trees more than I do. I not only LOOK at them, but I want
to know all about their genera and species. In fact, I carry little books on
me which will help me to identify them. Plants are fully as interesting to
me as animals. Sometimes I think I should have gone into botany instead of
librarianship. I am just a naturalist at heart.

Best Regards,

Old October 30th 09, 04:07 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,nyc.bicycles,rec.bicycles.misc
Bill Baka

Edward Dolan wrote:
"Bill Baka" wrote in message
Edward Dolan wrote:
"Tom Keats" wrote in message
In article ,
"Edward Dolan" writes:

[...]

I bought a house in Andover and arrived with my U-Haul and cars at 1:00
A.M. the night after the great Halloween Blizzard of 1991. I had to
shovel snow until about 3:00 A.M. just to get the truck off the street
and another 2 hours to get the cars in the other driveway. About sunup I
collapsed on the living room floor and slept while my wife and kids Got
all the small stuff out of the cars and truck.
There is snow and there is way too much snow at the wrong time.
Iowa was like an ice sculpture wonderland that night, but could there
have possibly been a worse time to pull up to a new house after a 2,000
mile drive??

Bill Baka
Old October 30th 09, 04:08 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,nyc.bicycles,rec.bicycles.misc
Bill Baka

Edward Dolan wrote:
"Bill Baka" wrote in message
[...]
California sucks for trees in the central valley since they were cut down
for all the damned rice farming, so when I find a tree, I take time to
enjoy the shade.
As for Minnesota, I have lived there and vacationed there many times, and
the trees are so nice after the City, why are you complaining??

Bill Baka

Bill, nobody loves trees more than I do. I not only LOOK at them, but I want
to know all about their genera and species. In fact, I carry little books on
me which will help me to identify them. Plants are fully as interesting to
me as animals. Sometimes I think I should have gone into botany instead of
librarianship. I am just a naturalist at heart.

Best Regards,

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
aka

So that makes you a librarian tree hugger??
That is a contrast.

Bill Baka
Old October 30th 09, 04:18 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,nyc.bicycles,rec.bicycles.misc
Edward Dolan

"Bill Baka" wrote in message
[...]
Ed,
I bought a house in Andover and arrived with my U-Haul and cars at 1:00
A.M. the night after the great Halloween Blizzard of 1991. I had to shovel
snow until about 3:00 A.M. just to get the truck off the street and
another 2 hours to get the cars in the other driveway. About sunup I
collapsed on the living room floor and slept while my wife and kids Got
all the small stuff out of the cars and truck.
There is snow and there is way too much snow at the wrong time.
Iowa was like an ice sculpture wonderland that night, but could there have
possibly been a worse time to pull up to a new house after a 2,000 mile
drive??

Bill Baka

Bill, stories like the above are adventures when you are young, but they are
sheer misery when you are old. It seems I have spent most of my life cursing
this g.d. Minnesota weather. I dream of tropical climates where it is always
about 85 degrees in the shade and no freaking wind at all.

Old October 30th 09, 04:25 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,nyc.bicycles,rec.bicycles.misc
Edward Dolan

"Bill Baka" wrote in message
Edward Dolan wrote:

[...]
Bill, nobody loves trees more than I do. I not only LOOK at them, but I
want to know all about their genera and species. In fact, I carry little
books on me which will help me to identify them. Plants are fully as
interesting to me as animals. Sometimes I think I should have gone into
botany instead of librarianship. I am just a naturalist at heart.

So that makes you a librarian tree hugger??
That is a contrast.

Hey, some of my best (and maybe only) friends are trees. You bet, I hug
them. Lest we forget, we animals are totally dependent on plant life, not
the other way around. Not to have a due respect for plant life means we do
not know where we came from nor do we know much of anything else either.

Old October 30th 09, 05:18 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,nyc.bicycles,rec.bicycles.misc
Dan C

On Thu, 29 Oct 2009 22:18:51 -0500, Edward Dolan wrote:

"Bill Baka" wrote in message
... [...]
[...]

Well, why the **** don't you move?

Jesus.

Ever heard of Florida?

"Bother!" said Pooh, as he garotted another passing Liberal.
Old October 30th 09, 05:42 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,nyc.bicycles,rec.bicycles.misc
Edward Dolan

"Dan C" wrote in message
news
On Thu, 29 Oct 2009 22:18:51 -0500, Edward Dolan wrote:

"Bill Baka" wrote in message
... [...]
[...]

Christ Almighty!

Ever hear of 'commitments'? If not, then look it up the word in a
dictionary. I means that you can't move because of obligations. I am tied to
property, but most folks are tied to family. What is the matter with you
that you can't understand this? Are you an idiot or only pretending to be
one?

Old October 30th 09, 02:24 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,nyc.bicycles,rec.bicycles.misc
Dan C

On Thu, 29 Oct 2009 23:42:58 -0500, Edward Dolan wrote:

"Dan C" wrote in message
news
On Thu, 29 Oct 2009 22:18:51 -0500, Edward Dolan wrote:

"Bill Baka" wrote in message
... [...]
[...]

"Tied to property"... Hmmmm... Yeah, I guess property can't be managed
remotely, or managed by some hired help, or....

Whatever.

Quit whining about the weather, then. Move if you don't like it.

"Bother!" said Pooh, as he garotted another passing Liberal.

Recumbents [email protected] UK 7 January 14th 08 09:33 AM
Recumbents useful? Tom Sherman[_2_] General 12 December 6th 07 07:02 PM
Recumbents, where are they? Duram Recumbent Biking 10 January 31st 07 09:02 PM
Regarding recumbents Another group member UK 8 November 20th 04 11:29 AM