Red Light Cameras could be trouble for Bicyclists

Old February 1st 10, 11:10 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Rick[_10_]

Default Red Light Cameras could be trouble for Bicyclists

from the Cedar Rapids (Iowa) Gazette letters to the editor:

There might be a big problem for bicycle riders in Cedar Rapids with
the red light/radar cameras now being installed. As a bicycle wheel
rotates on a bike that is moving forward at 20 mph:

A. The part of the wheel touching the ground is moving forward at 0
mph.
B. The center of the wheel and the bike itself with rider is moving
foward at 20 mph.
C. But, the spokes at the top of the weheel are moving forward at 40
mph.

This is just simple mathematics for a rotating wheel.

If the red light/radar detects the spokes at the top of the wheel
instead of the bike itself, I will get at ticket for travelign 40 mph
wihile I'm only traveling 20 mph.

I see a potential problem for bicycle riders in Cedar Rapids.

author name snipped
Old February 1st 10, 11:21 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Rick wrote:
[...]

meh.
When they can resolve your plate number and mail a ticket,
THEN it may be problem.

BTW false charges abound. My attorneys just got one
dismissed as the camera clearly showed I had indeed not run
the light. Red light violations are epidemic, and
dangerous, but not every accused is guilty either.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Old February 1st 10, 11:24 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Sherman °_°[_2_]

Rick Paulos wrote:
[...]

How are the CR police going to identify the cyclist to mail him/her a
ticket? Besides, in all likelihood, the radar will pick up the strongest
reflection, which will be the rider's body (except velomobiles).

Not losing sleep over this one yet.

--
Tom Sherman in CR
Old February 2nd 10, 12:23 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
DougC

On 2/1/2010 4:10 PM, Rick wrote:
[...]

Frankly if I lived anywhere near there, I'd be more worried about at
least one Cedar Rapids bicyclist being dumb as a brick.
~
Old February 2nd 10, 02:05 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mike Jacoubowsky

"Rick" wrote in message
[...]

C'mon, who among us wouldn't frame a ticket for going 40 mph through an
intersection on a bike?

Although I'm not sure how a red light camera, or the logic described,
applies to a bike in the first place, because-

#1: If you're actually stopped at the red light, your speed is going to read
zero, no matter where on the wheel it's measured from.

#2: If you're moving through an intersection against a red light, your speed
is irrelevant... any speed above zero is illegal.

#3: The biggest mass on a bicycle is the rider, and that's what the camera
is going to spot. Not some tiny point on a wheel. The camera isn't going to
be looking for something that's specifically rotating.

#4: They have no way to identify you to mail you the ticket.

--Mike Jacoubowsky
Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReaction.com
Redwood City & Los Altos, CA USA

Old February 2nd 10, 02:08 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joe

I see a potential problem for bicycle riders in Cedar Rapids.

author name snipped

I don't.

I'd snip the author's name as well, to save on embarrassment.

Old February 2nd 10, 02:10 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
(PeteCresswell)

Per Rick:

If the red light/radar detects the spokes at the top of the wheel
instead of the bike itself, I will get at ticket for travelign 40 mph
wihile I'm only traveling 20 mph.

I see a potential problem for bicycle riders in Cedar Rapids.

As long at the bike does not have a license plate, it seems like
they would be hard-pressed to ID you... or are we talking a cop
manning the camera on the spot with a chase car?
--
PeteCresswell
Old February 2nd 10, 03:32 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tim McNamara

In article ,
"Mike Jacoubowsky" wrote:

C'mon, who among us wouldn't frame a ticket for going 40 mph through
an intersection on a bike?

I'd frame it if I got one.

--
"I wear the cheese, it does not wear me."
Old February 2nd 10, 04:08 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tad McClellan

* Still Just Me * wrote:
On Mon, 1 Feb 2010 14:10:22 -0800 (PST), Rick
wrote:

There might be a big problem for bicycle riders in Cedar Rapids with
the red light/radar cameras now being installed. As a bicycle wheel
rotates on a bike that is moving forward at 20 mph:

The real problem is the unconstitutional use of cameras for traffic
enforcement.

cite please.

--
Tad McClellan
email: perl -le "print scalar reverse qq/moc.liamg\100cm.j.dat/"
Old February 2nd 10, 05:34 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mike Jacoubowsky

"(PeteCresswell)" wrote in message
Per Rick:

If the red light/radar detects the spokes at the top of the wheel
instead of the bike itself, I will get at ticket for travelign 40 mph
wihile I'm only traveling 20 mph.

I see a potential problem for bicycle riders in Cedar Rapids.

As long at the bike does not have a license plate, it seems like
they would be hard-pressed to ID you... or are we talking a cop
manning the camera on the spot with a chase car?
--
PeteCresswell

If you can go from zero to 40mph on your bike in the space of half a
wheel revolution, what cop could catch you?

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

T-way and Traffic cameras terryc Australia 2 October 29th 09 10:11 AM
If she hates cameras so much.... Nutella Racing 2 October 25th 09 08:22 PM
Cameras Kill Nuxx Bar UK 3 October 2nd 08 03:32 PM
get your cameras ready Chris Zacho The Wheelman General 1 December 9th 05 02:36 AM
Cameras darchibald Unicycling 7 April 27th 04 07:10 PM