Police Target anti-social cycling

Old April 10th 09, 05:03 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
mileburner

Default Police Target anti-social cycling

I have just read in our local paper that the police are to target
anti-social cyclists.

"Residents are concerned that people riding on pavements could cause a
collision"

"PCs and PCSOs have the power to stop people riding bikes on footpaths and
will issue a £30 fixed penalty to anyone who repeatedly cycles on a
footpath".

Ok, so we don't get much crime round here but as a cyclist I think it is a
good thing. We need to get cyclists on to the roads, not only to make the
pavements safer, but also to make the roads safer. In our area pavement
cycling is done by an overwhelming majority, and those who do us the road,
are often in the gutter.

Good or bad?

Old April 10th 09, 05:15 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason

"mileburner" wrote in message news:grnql0

Ok, so we don't get much crime round here but as a cyclist I think it is a
good thing. We need to get cyclists on to the roads, not only to make the
pavements safer, but also to make the roads safer. In our area pavement
cycling is done by an overwhelming majority, and those who do us the road,
are often in the gutter.

Good or bad?

Good, they give us a bad name and should be fined, but I'd like to see car
drivers fined for parking on pavements too.

--
Simon Mason
http://www.simonmason.karoo.net/

Old April 10th 09, 05:27 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Rob Morley

On Fri, 10 Apr 2009 17:03:42 +0100
"mileburner" wrote:

I have just read in our local paper that the police are to target
anti-social cyclists.

"Residents are concerned that people riding on pavements could cause
a collision"

"PCs and PCSOs have the power to stop people riding bikes on
footpaths and will issue a £30 fixed penalty to anyone who repeatedly
cycles on a footpath".

Ok, so we don't get much crime round here but as a cyclist I think it
is a good thing. We need to get cyclists on to the roads, not only to
make the pavements safer, but also to make the roads safer. In our
area pavement cycling is done by an overwhelming majority, and those
who do us the road, are often in the gutter.

Good or bad?

Excellent. Except that around here the PCSOs seem to cycle on
pavements and in gutters. Maybe they should be telling cyclists
where is good to ride, rather than just where is bad - after
receiving suitable training themselves, of course.

Old April 10th 09, 05:36 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

On 10 Apr, 17:03, "mileburner" wrote:
I have just read in our local paper that the police are to target
anti-social cyclists.

"Residents are concerned that people riding on pavements could cause a
collision"

"PCs and PCSOs have the power to stop people riding bikes on footpaths and
will issue a £30 fixed penalty to anyone who repeatedly cycles on a
footpath".

Ok, so we don't get much crime round here but as a cyclist I think it is a
good thing. We need to get cyclists on to the roads, not only to make the
pavements safer, but also to make the roads safer. In our area pavement
cycling is done by an overwhelming majority, and those who do us the road,
are often in the gutter.

Good or bad?

I could have used them last week. I passed a juvenile-ish **** riding
onehanded on busy South London pavement, talking on mobile phone. Is a
miniature crossbow too much to ask for? I'd willingly serve the time.
Old April 10th 09, 05:39 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Just zis Guy, you know?[_2_]

wrote:

"Residents are concerned that people riding on pavements could cause a
collision"

People have the odd idea that cycling is dangerous, and that riding on
the pavement is safer than riding on the road. I can't imagine where
they get these ideas, it's not as if councils actively encourage the
mistaken belief that riding on the pavement is somehow desirable, so
perhaps the PCSOs could be persuaded to promote Bikeability and start
knocking down the pernicious myth of "bike danger".

Guy
--
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk/urc

simple, neat and wrong" - HL Mencken

Newsgroup may contain nuts.
Old April 10th 09, 05:41 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Light of Aria[_2_]

wrote in message
[...]

I encountered a **** last week who thought he'd walk along the cycle lane
(not the pedestrian allocated space) listening to some personal wireless
device and reading some magazine at the same time. The moron was so
distracted, my bell being useless, that I passed the idiot on the pedestrian
side leaving him unaware.

Old April 10th 09, 06:46 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
JNugent[_5_]

Phil W Lee wrote:
"mileburner" considered Fri, 10 Apr 2009
17:03:42 +0100 the perfect time to write:

I have just read in our local paper that the police are to target
anti-social cyclists.

"Residents are concerned that people riding on pavements could cause a
collision"

"PCs and PCSOs have the power to stop people riding bikes on footpaths and
will issue a £30 fixed penalty to anyone who repeatedly cycles on a
footpath".

Ok, so we don't get much crime round here but as a cyclist I think it is a
good thing. We need to get cyclists on to the roads, not only to make the
pavements safer, but also to make the roads safer. In our area pavement
cycling is done by an overwhelming majority, and those who do us the road,
are often in the gutter.

Good or bad?

Good - If they've already done everything necessary to sort out the
anti-social and dangerous driving behaviour that discourages cyclists
from using the roads.

Why?

Sadly, I very much doubt that is the case.

What's its relevance anyway?

Have these police officers ever heard of the difference between
evidence and hearsay?
And have they no wish to follow guidance issued from the home office?

I doubt they'll rely on hearsay evidence.
Old April 10th 09, 06:55 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
francis

On Apr 10, 5:15*pm, "Simon Mason"
wrote:
"mileburner" wrote in message news:grnql0

Ok, so we don't get much crime round here but as a cyclist I think it is a
good thing. We need to get cyclists on to the roads, not only to make the
pavements safer, but also to make the roads safer. In our area pavement
cycling is done by an overwhelming majority, and those who do us the road,
are often in the gutter.

Good or bad?

Good, they give us a bad name and should be fined, but I'd like to see car
drivers fined for parking on pavements too.

--
Simon Masonhttp://www.simonmason.karoo.net/

Yes if motorists park on the footway they should be punished.

Francis
Old April 10th 09, 06:56 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
francis

wrote:
"Residents are concerned that people riding on pavements could cause a
collision"

People have the odd idea that cycling is dangerous, and that riding on
the pavement is safer than riding on the road. *I can't imagine where
they get these ideas, it's not as if councils actively encourage the
mistaken belief that riding on the pavement is somehow desirable, so
perhaps the PCSOs could be persuaded to promote Bikeability and start
knocking down the pernicious myth of "bike danger".

Guy
--http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk/urc

simple, neat and wrong" - HL Mencken

Newsgroup may contain nuts.

I don't care if you think cycling on the footway is safer, it is
against the law & is dangerous.

Francis

Police target South Australian cyclists deejbah[_2_] Australia 133 January 15th 08 08:00 AM
Anti-social behaviour Danny Colyer UK 1552 September 25th 05 09:21 AM
Anti-social behaviour Brimstone UK 65 June 10th 05 09:21 PM
Anti-social behaviour Brimstone UK 3 June 7th 05 07:02 PM
Anti-social behaviour Brimstone UK 0 June 6th 05 10:45 PM