Well said Boris

Old November 20th 13, 08:39 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Judith[_4_]

Default Well said Boris

Boris Johnson considers ban on London cyclists wearing headphones

Boris Johnson, the mayor of London, has said he will consider the possibility
of banning cyclists from wearing headphones following the death of six cyclists
on the capital's roads in less than two weeks.

Speaking on BBC London radio on Tuesday, Johnson said headphones were an
"absolute scourge" and it was "absolutely nuts" to wear them while cycling. He
said: "I'm very alarmed about cyclists wearing headphones. I would not be
against a prohibition or ban on cyclists wearing headphones. Call me illiberal,
but it makes me absolutely terrified to see them bowling along, unable to hear
the traffic.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/201...sts-headphones

Old November 20th 13, 11:05 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Bertie Wooster[_2_]

On Wed, 20 Nov 2013 08:39:24 +0000, Judith
wrote:

Boris Johnson considers ban on London cyclists wearing headphones

Boris Johnson, the mayor of London, has said he will consider the possibility
of banning cyclists from wearing headphones following the death of six cyclists
on the capital's roads in less than two weeks.

Speaking on BBC London radio on Tuesday, Johnson said headphones were an
"absolute scourge" and it was "absolutely nuts" to wear them while cycling. He
said: "I'm very alarmed about cyclists wearing headphones. I would not be
against a prohibition or ban on cyclists wearing headphones. Call me illiberal,
but it makes me absolutely terrified to see them bowling along, unable to hear
the traffic.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/201...sts-headphones

I am inclined to agree with BoJo.
Old November 20th 13, 11:28 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling

On Wednesday, 20 November 2013 11:05:30 UTC, Bertie Wooster wrote:

I am inclined to agree with BoJo.

So am I, in this case, but he should also ensure that illegal and dangerous practices by drivers are enforced, such as mobile phone use and not giving way to pedestrians when turning into a side road.

Old November 20th 13, 01:52 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
jnugent

On 20/11/2013 13:46, Judith wrote:
On Wed, 20 Nov 2013 12:36:55 +0000, Bertie Wooster
wrote:

On Wed, 20 Nov 2013 03:28:11 -0800 (PST),
wrote:

On Wednesday, 20 November 2013 11:05:30 UTC, Bertie Wooster wrote:

I am inclined to agree with BoJo.

So am I, in this case, but he should also ensure that illegal and dangerous practices by drivers are enforced, such as mobile phone use and not giving way to pedestrians when turning into a side road.

What Ms Smith failed to mention, was that BoJo also spoke about
banning HGVs during busy periods. I don't know if he meant just the
morning and evening peak periods (7am - 10am and 4pm to 7pm), or for a
useful period like 6am to 10pm.

Do you think he will really try and **** up the London economy just because
some cyclists are obviously on suicide missions?

It would be interesting if TPTB did ban lorry movements in "Greater"
London between 06:00 and 22:00.

Six million people would suddenly find that their daily needs could not
be met in full any more.

It would be great news for supermarkets in Potters Bar, Loughton,
Brentwood, Dartford, Swanley and other places at that sort of radius
from the capital.

The sight of thousands of Londoners cycling out of the area along
lorry-free routes to get to supplies of groceries, consumer durables and
other necessities would be something to behold.
Old November 20th 13, 01:57 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Bertie Wooster[_2_]

wrote:

Boris Johnson considers ban on London cyclists wearing headphones

Boris Johnson, the mayor of London, has said he will consider the possibility
of banning cyclists from wearing headphones following the death of six cyclists
on the capital's roads in less than two weeks.

Speaking on BBC London radio on Tuesday, Johnson said headphones were an
"absolute scourge" and it was "absolutely nuts" to wear them while cycling. He
said: "I'm very alarmed about cyclists wearing headphones. I would not be
against a prohibition or ban on cyclists wearing headphones. Call me illiberal,
but it makes me absolutely terrified to see them bowling along, unable to hear
the traffic.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/201...sts-headphones

News Release
Jenny Jones
London Assembly Green Party Member
http://www.london.gov.uk/profile/jenny-jones
Press Office: 020 7983 4424, 07967 205 330
Jenny: 07786 277 376

Monday 18th November 2013

Mayor blamed rise in pedestrian and child casualties on headphones,
Oct 2011

The Mayor claimed in October 2011 that hand held devices accounted for
a rise in pedestrian, cycling and child casualties, when being
questioned by Jenny Jones. He said:

“I just want to stress that we have no data,” but continued… “you may
well step out into the road in a way that you would not do if you were
not trying to use a mobile or a BlackBerry. I think there is also a
problem with people having both ears blocked with headphones.”

He also added that “I am not in favour of banning things.”

Jenny Jones said:
“I was surprised that the head of Transport for London would be using
anecdotal examples to explain why the number of pedestrian and child
casualties had risen after nine years of year on year falls. I now
understand that Boris Johnson can’t help blaming the victims of his
policy failures for their own deaths and injuries. London had an
amazing success in reducing road casualties for over a decade, but
when he took over it all went wrong. A more obvious reason why
casualties have gone up is because the Mayor slashed £36m off the
annual road safety budget and gave priority to cars and lorries.

I won’t deny that headphones and smart phones might play a part in
some collisions, but on that basis we should be banning all stereos in
cars and sound proofed windows in high performance cars. The Mayor
said he had no data two years ago, but as head of TfL that is plenty
of time to produce the evidence. Where is it?”
Old November 20th 13, 02:06 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
jnugent

Jenny Jones said:
[...]

Jenny Jones is an idiot who cannot resist trying to turn everything into
a party political attack. And she is tilting at windmills because she
doesn't have a tenth of the charisma and sheer political attractiveness
of a Boris Johnson - and never will.

The Greens, of course, are a well-known gang of sociopaths, whose first
thought on everything that people enjoy is "ban it". That's if you can
credibly call their mental processes "thought".

And the main point... she is so full of self-produced bitterness and
poison that she overlooked the obvious retort to what had been said.
There is NO requirement for any road-user - whether a driver, a
pedestrian, a motorcyclist or a cyclist - to be able to hear. Unless we
are thinking (OK, I'll exclude Greens from that bit) of banning deaf
people from venturing beyond the curtilages of their own homes, there is
no more to be said on the subject.

If cyclists want to use headphones, let them. It's their own business
and they know their own business best, even though they often make the
mistake of thinking they know other peoples' business better than they do.

Boris on the ball Judith[_4_] UK 6 November 17th 13 09:10 PM
Superhighways Ad. with Boris Tom Crispin UK 6 October 12th 09 05:24 PM
Boris Just zis Guy, you know? UK 3 August 6th 08 09:29 PM
Boris: the answer Mark McNeill[_2_] UK 5 May 27th 08 08:51 AM
OT what was Boris thiniing Bryan UK 6 May 5th 06 10:50 PM