Are we justififed to hate drivers?

Old August 24th 09, 09:09 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.tech
ComandanteBanana

Default Are we justififed to hate drivers?

(Psychiatrists advise you to let your frustration and hate out... so
you become a man at peace. So here I go, I answer below)

Originally Posted by Roughstuff
Ahhh, the rage of self pitying cyclists reaches fever pitch! I find
many more car-hating posts on cycling websites than I find bicycle
hating posts on car afficiando pages. Even cycling's penultimate
event---the tour de france (or tour de joke, as I call it) has cars
carrying spares and equipment whizzing along and in between the teams.
How many bikes do ya see on a NASCAR oval?

Why is it OK to hurt and kill poor innocent car drivers? Is it
SELFISHNESS that isolates us from our subjects, and makes us think we
are entitled to the full lane no matter how slowly we ride or what
tangled route we weave? Is is SADISM that gives us a kick, insisting
on our 'right' to filter between lanes but whining when we get
clipped?

***

Yes, the slaves hate their masters more than the other way around.
What a surprise!

You own the road; you got the LION'S SHARE of it; and ultimately you
have the power over life and death, sometimes while casually chatting
on the phone, as if you were given some powers by God.

But let's not be confused, you are acting your role of sheep for the
hungry wolves. Those who have you polluting the planet and have you in
the cage while squeezing the life out of you. And then you act your
frustration while fighting over confusing laws over who owns the road.

We know you do! And ultimately we need our FAIR SHARE.

In a land where the average driver doesn't seem to be above the ape,
it may seem counterintuitive or even stupid to ride a bike... But a
man gotta do, what a man gotta do.

http://webspawner.com/users/bananarevolution
Old August 25th 09, 03:27 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.tech
David Green[_4_]

On Mon, 24 Aug 2009 13:09:13 -0700 (PDT), ComandanteBanana
wrote:

(Psychiatrists advise you to let your frustration and hate out... so
you become a man at peace. So here I go, I answer below)

Now don't be silly. *No-one* on uk.rec.cycling, except for Doug and
David Damerell, hates drivers. Not in the least.

So Guy Chapman supports every single anti-motorist measure, and every
single car-related tax increase, and thinks drivers should be
prosecuted for making way for emergency vehicles: so what? He doesn't
hate motorists. He may *seem* to, in every way, but he says he
doesn't, so he must be telling the truth (it's not like it's part of
his agenda to lie about it).

The same with Spindrift: he may always blame the motorist whenever
there's a collision, and he may in every way *seem* to hate motorists,
but he doesn't; after all, he says he doesn't, and he's such an
obviously honest and balanced person that you simply must believe him.

No-one on URC hates motorists except Doug 'n' Dave. Keep saying it to
yourself. Dare to say otherwise and you'll be branded a "troll" for
life and censored in the new censored group. If the car-haters want
to lie about hating cars because they believe that they'll get their
anti-motorist measures more easily if they pretend they're for
"safety" or "the environment" instead, then you'll just have to go
along with their deception. Or else. You don't want to get on the
wrong side of them...they're distinctly unhinged after all.
Old August 25th 09, 04:39 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.tech
Bill Sornson[_5_]

David Green wrote:
On Mon, 24 Aug 2009 13:09:13 -0700 (PDT), ComandanteBanana
wrote:

Could you people please stop replying to this moronic troll?

TYVM.

Old August 25th 09, 04:49 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Sherman °_°[_2_]

Default Are we justified to hate ComandanteBanana?

Yes indeed we are, for his cross-posted drivel.

--
Tom Sherman - 42.435731,-83.985007
Celebrity culture is an opposite of community, informing us
Old August 25th 09, 07:14 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.tech
Edward Dolan

"Tom Sherman °_°" wrote in message
Yes indeed we are, for his cross-posted drivel.

What is interesting to me is how some of these newsgroups were almost dead
until CB began posting. Yes, of course it is drivel, but there is usually
something there that we can take off on. As long as that is the case, we
should not object too much.

Also, CB seems to be good natured, unlike some others I could name. One
other thing, you would not want to have too many posters like me. Hells
Bells, I do not even like what I write most of the time.

Regards,

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
aka

Old August 25th 09, 05:48 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.tech
ComandanteBanana

wrote:
[...]

Picture this old man I met at the bike shop. He rides his antique bike
on the sidewalk, and this driver cuts him off, scrapes him and... goes
to check his paint.

Picture all those drivers who casually chat on the phone.

Picture all who pass on the "slow" lane.

Picture all who blow the horn at you, those who shout at you...

Picture those who assume you are safe within a couple of feet of
pavement.

Picture all those who "hit and run" cyclits.

The rest are OK, but we don't know who's who.

Old August 25th 09, 05:49 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.tech
ComandanteBanana

wrote:

Could you people please stop replying to this moronic troll?

TYVM.

Maybe you don't like what I say, huh?

Old August 25th 09, 06:55 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.tech
ComandanteBanana

Default Are we justified to love the cars that hate us?

(I answer below this wise assessment of why cars hate us)

Originally Posted by trackhub
The question of "why do people really hate cyclists?" is one that
really confounds. Heck, it could probably me the subject of a few
undergrad sociology papers. But basically it's:

-Cyclists are in the way, "blocking traffic!" (Numero Uno.)

-Cyclists are not part of the mainstream. They ride bicycles instead
of drive cars. They don't spend their weekends at shopping malls, or
parked in front of the tv, watching a "real sport". "Real" because it
involves a ball, and lots of screaming and yelling.

-Cyclists don't eat at fast food restaurants. This is not to say
cyclists are all veggies. I'm not. It's just that most cyclists don't
eat the arty-clogging sludge sold by the clown and company, and they
choose to not be part of "consumer culture". This is not just breaking
the status quo: It's downright un-american. People regard any such
group, cyclists or otherwise, with suspicion. (Search your feelings,
you know it to be true!)

-In the backs of their minds, people who live at malls, and behind the
wheel, know that people who exercise by riding a bike will probably
out-live them. This drives them crazy, knowing that when they're below
ground, many cyclists will still be riding around.

-The bike is a versatile device. It has been around for more than 100
years. So, here we are, in the "age of the automomobile" . I still
believe that in another 100 years, the car will be gone, but the bike
will still be here. They know this too, and it drives them crazy.

-Motorists, especially American motorists, are convinced that "the
roads were put here for cars!" Trying to tell them facts, such as the
fact that bicycles were on the roads before cars, or that roads were
paved after lobbying by the League of American wheelmen, is wasteful
of time and energy. But secretly, they know you are right, and they
hate it.

Well, that's my two Turkish Lira's worth.

***

And they hate us because we get away with beautiful vehicles for a
fraction of what they pay for theirs...

I think this is at the core of their hate: "I BOUGHT THIS CAR, I BUY
GASOLINE, INSURANCE, TOLLS, ETC, THEREBY THIS ROAD IS MINE AND THESE
MONKEYS WON'T SLOW ME DOWN!"

Of course, we hate their arrogance, but do you expect?

Old August 25th 09, 07:50 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.tech
ComandanteBanana

Originally Posted by noisebeam
"I get more, far more, hostility from other drivers when I motor (at
the speed limit in a courteous, reasonable and safe way) then when I
cycle well under the speed limit in the same manner.

I conclude that 'people' really hate motorists."

***

It depends WHAT you drive. Now I ocassionally drive a Lexus with
tinted windows like most American drivers do (in a casual way, slow)
and I never have a problem. When I drove a European stick shift car in
a fast but connected way, I ran into a lot of conflict.

Moral of the story? Don't drive anything smaller than the others, and
don't be smarter than they are.