Odd cassette hub problem

Old September 29th 19, 06:37 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_5_]

Default Odd cassette hub problem

On Friday, September 27, 2019 at 5:25:10 PM UTC-7, AMuzi wrote:
On 9/27/2019 4:32 PM, wrote:
On Thursday, September 26, 2019 at 9:43:34 PM UTC-5, AMuzi wrote:

As early as 1982 (the first time I visited a Shimano plant
in Shin Osaka) cassette hub assembly was done by SARA robots

I was all ready to jump down your throat for lying to us about there being freehubs and cassettes in 1982. But I did a Google search and found Sheldon Brown has the 1982 Shimano catalog on his website and there are pictures of Shimano freehubs and cassettes. I sure thought cassettes did not come out until mid 1980s. Only freewheels before then.

If I recall, Shimano cassettes go back to the early 1970s.
It's Shimano's improved one-piece hubshell design which
appeared in the 1980s, then HG replaced UG in what?, 1987?
about then.

(before Shimano, the DnB and Chiorda cassette hubs were even
worse)

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

My first Shimano cassette was a SEVEN SPEED. But I can't remember if it was really an 8-speed freehub with a spacer.
Old September 29th 19, 09:23 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 9/27/2019 4:32 PM, wrote:
[...]

So you missed the steel hubshell Fives and the two-piece
aluminum hubshell Five speeds? Lucky you.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Nos-Mint-In...AOSwMzVbuPg v

Old October 3rd 19, 12:01 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Luns Tee[_5_]

On Friday, September 27, 2019 at 5:25:10 PM UTC-7, AMuzi wrote:
If I recall, Shimano cassettes go back to the early 1970s.
It's Shimano's improved one-piece hubshell design which
appeared in the 1980s, then HG replaced UG in what?, 1987?
about then.

I seem to remember HG came in '88 or '89, but who's counting?

My '87 Cannondale came with a MF-6208 6-speed 600EX freewheel, though Shimano did offer 600EX freehubs (FH-6207/6208) at the time. 600 Ultegra came in '88 with FH-6400 being a 6/7 speed Uniglide freehub. Hyperglide later came to 600 Ultegra with FH-6401 being a 7-speed UG/HG freehub, but I'm not sure exactly which year that was introduced. I also seem to remember hearing of mountain bike groups getting HG before road, so maybe it it did already exist in '87.

I just replaced another broken rear axle on said Cannondale a few months ago. I'm not sure how long I've been riding with it broken without realizing it, but the bike feels much faster after addressing this. Next order of business is to replace the wheel with one having a 6-speed HG cassette.

-Luns