Shipping of Bicycle Framesets

Old September 30th 19, 05:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_5_]

Default Shipping of Bicycle Framesets

I sold my Pinarello Stelvio frameset. Frankly I was astonished at how long it took. I sold it for $400 which was less than the cost of buying it originally and then reconditioning the frame.

I added a $50 charge for shipping.

After selling it I had to mail it off. The box was $5 and the mailing of the bike frame box and frameset weighed 14.5 lbs and I paid for 15 lbs to make certain not to get caught in any scale problems.

$163.50 or almost $170 to ship a frameset now. You can bet that I don't sell anything on eBay anymore. If you set a price that would cover such ridiculous mailing costs no one is interested. Just a couple of years ago I was sending the same box off for $48.
Old September 30th 19, 05:44 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 9/30/2019 11:36 AM, Tom Kunich wrote:
I sold my Pinarello Stelvio frameset. Frankly I was astonished at how long it took. I sold it for $400 which was less than the cost of buying it originally and then reconditioning the frame.

I added a $50 charge for shipping.

After selling it I had to mail it off. The box was $5 and the mailing of the bike frame box and frameset weighed 14.5 lbs and I paid for 15 lbs to make certain not to get caught in any scale problems.

$163.50 or almost $170 to ship a frameset now. You can bet that I don't sell anything on eBay anymore. If you set a price that would cover such ridiculous mailing costs no one is interested. Just a couple of years ago I was sending the same box off for $48.

A pet peeve here.

We pay drastically increased delivery charges while our
competitors in The Middle Kingdom pay a heavily subsidized
couple of yuan with the high cost of 'last mile' delivery
picked gratis up by USPS under the International Postal Treaty.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old September 30th 19, 07:50 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Monday, September 30, 2019 at 9:44:54 AM UTC-7, AMuzi wrote:
[...]

The rates are going up to 80% of domestic. https://www.freightwaves.com/news/us...tal-group-vote There were already adjustments negotiated in 2016 that were going into effect for letter-packages. The USPS also needs to police rates with Amazon, BTW.

The rates were favorable for shipments directly from China. I've never ordered anything direct from China because of the sketchiness factor. TK will be paying more for his Chinese wheels -- more shipping plus the increased tariff rates. For the rest of us, the price will be passed on by domestic re-sellers who purchase goods directly from China, assuming small lots and not container loads. It won't drop your shipping rates absent a miracle -- like the post office making a profit. Do you compete much with direct shipments from China?

-- Jay Beattie.

Old September 30th 19, 08:13 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 9/30/2019 1:50 PM, jbeattie wrote:
[...]

Define 'compete'. We're not competitive.

As Mr Kunich mentioned a pair of low rent chinese carbon
wheels is less than two USA made rims.

SRAM had a press release out Friday about chinese
counterfeit product of their several brand name lines.

We are virtually out of the not-wool clothing business now:
https://www.aliexpress.com/store/gro...14932006.html#!

Postage from Italy on team wear is more than china's
delivered retail price by quite a bit.

I could go on but it's not news nor isolated items.

Old September 30th 19, 11:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_5_]

On Monday, September 30, 2019 at 12:13:13 PM UTC-7, AMuzi wrote:
[...]

The Chinese have somehow circumvented the postal increases and tariffs by opening storage facilities in the US and shipping from there. It also makes for much more rapid and reliable delivery times.
Old October 1st 19, 01:04 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Monday, September 30, 2019 at 3:58:24 PM UTC-7, Tom Kunich wrote:
[...]

Actually, maintaining US hubs would make them fully subject to domestic postal rates. Avoided costs involve shipping by container load rather than mailing small packages from China.

-- Jay Beattie.
Old October 1st 19, 01:27 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 9/30/2019 7:04 PM, jbeattie wrote:
[...]

An ocean can adds a 15~25 day crossing which isn't
acceptable for consumer goods in 2019. Air ULD cargo rates
are extremely expensive compared to subsidized Postal rates.

Old October 1st 19, 03:37 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.

On Mon, 30 Sep 2019 11:44:49 -0500, AMuzi wrote:

[...]

My father worked for the Post Office all his life and I remember him
complaining about all the free or low cost services that the post
office supplied. He used to complain loudly about advertisement stuff
that got mailed almost free and cost the same to deliver as 1st class.

Singapore Mail Service, on the other hand treats nearly all mail the
same, i.e., 1st class, and actually makes a profit.
--
cheers,

John B.

Old October 1st 19, 04:42 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.

On Mon, 30 Sep 2019 19:27:33 -0500, AMuzi wrote:

[...]

Current - approximate - 20 ft. container shipping cost ( surface
transportation) is about US$ 763 from Shanghai to San Diego.

Using a figure of 3.44 ft cube ft., that I got from one site talking
about shipping bicycles, and the 1,321 ft3 that I got from the
measurements of a 20 ft. container it appears that one can ship in the
neighborhood of 380 bikes in one 20 ft. container so $763/380 = $2.00
shipping from China to California :-)
(note that this is simply a comparison of volume and makes no
allowance for how well boxes fit in the container).

Plus, of course, handling and inland shipping.
The U.S. post office would be hard pressed to equal that :-)
--
cheers,

John B.

Old October 1st 19, 11:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_5_]

On Monday, September 30, 2019 at 5:27:38 PM UTC-7, AMuzi wrote:
[...]

I had a great Eddy Merckx Corsa OS frameset selling for $800. An Aussy wanted it and asked me to look into air shipping - that was $850.

shipping a bicycle It's Chris Rides 0 June 19th 09 05:08 PM
shipping a bicycle It's Chris Rides 0 June 18th 09 08:16 PM
shipping a bicycle Linda Freeman Rides 1 June 15th 09 01:18 AM
Shipping a bicycle TTT? It's Chris General 3 June 10th 09 02:12 AM
Shipping a bicycle KRYSTN MCCALEB Techniques 4 September 24th 03 11:08 PM