Rain cover for on-the-hitch-mounted-rack use??

Old April 28th 05, 05:26 PM
Neil Brooks

Default Rain cover for on-the-hitch-mounted-rack use??

I leave tomorrow for Northern Cal. Timing couldn't have been better.
Not only will I drive all day in storms, but /thunderstorms/, too :-D

I'm using a hitch mounted 4-bike rack, with my mtb and tourer on it.

The rack uses cradles for the top tube (rather than fork clamps and/or
tire trays). It's this guy:

http://www.nbeener.com/THULE_RACK.bmp

I've never read anything that leads me to believe that eight solid
hours of being rained on is good for a bike.

How do you cover a bike on a rack like this? Do you just jerry-rig
plastic sheeting around the whole shootin' match (think huge garbage
bag, twist-tied at the back -- hatch side), then remove it immediately
upon arrival (to reduce likelihood of condensation)??

There's no room for them in the car, and . . . I'm not leaving them
behind....

TIA,

Neil
Old April 28th 05, 05:51 PM
X_HOBBES

I agree that the heavy rain is probably not a good thing -- especially with
all sorts of road grime being kicked up onto the bikes. Since you have no
other choice but to mount them on your hitch, I would look into covering
them well.

Garbage bags may be too flimsy of a cover. Wind forces behind your vehicle
will probably be very strong at highway speeds. Think of it this way, 65+
mph winds blowing on a sail (because that's what the effect will be of
having a horizontally mounted bike covered). A garbage bag will probably
tear quickly from flapping repeatedly agains pedals, grips, etc. I would
probably invest about $10-$20 on one of those blue tarps that you can get
from your local HomeDepot/Lowes/etc. When covering, I would make sure to
have the opening at the bottom of the rig, such that any water that does
make it up into the covered area can drip out. Don't make the opening
facing back because winds tend to swirl around a large object and push up
against the back -- it would be almost like having the opening on top, but
not as severe. Opening at the bottom would be my choice. Also, those blue
tarps come with metal rings that you can use to run a cord through. Use
them in conjunction with wrapping a rope around the whole tarp.

Good luck on your trip!

X_HOBBES

Old April 28th 05, 05:55 PM
Neil Brooks

"X_HOBBES" wrote:

"Neil Brooks" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Thanks, Hobbes. I meant 'garbage bag' by way of example, but it was
far from clear. I agree: stop at HD and get a grommeted blue tarp.

But...

I'm not sure I see a reason for any opening at all. Maybe that's the
most important thing I'm trying to determine. I'm thinking minimal
condensation in an 8hr trip. Maybe better just to use the rope +
grommet combo to tie it up *nearly* water tight, leaving the slightest
opening facing forward (toward the front of the car). This would
permit breathing and prevent condensation, no?

Thanks!
Old April 28th 05, 06:09 PM
X_HOBBES

Condensation is going to occur mostly from quick temperature changes.
Moisture tends to form on the warmer side of the material seperating two
temperature bodies (I think) (ex: cold rain outside your car + warm air
inside the car = condensation on the inside of the windshield and windows).
However, since your bikes will be at about the same temperature as the
outside weather, I think you won't really get condensation underneath the
tarp.

I would probably try to seal the tarp as much as possible. The tarp is
going to flap in the wind due to random wind swirls blowing against and away
from the tarp. As it flaps, it will cause vaccums and exhausts of air into
the covered area. So, if air can freely flow in and out, it will probably
suck in moisture and blow it back out again. I think minimizing the amount
of airflow into the covered area would probably be best.

When you return from your trip, please respond to this discussion to let us
know how it turned out. I am curious to know how you make out with that.

Old April 28th 05, 06:16 PM
Matt O'Toole

Neil Brooks wrote:

"X_HOBBES" wrote:

[...]

If the wind blows in, the rain will blow in with it. Better to leave the back
or bottom open.

May I make another suggestion? Since this is temporary -- why not a disposable
plastic painters' dropcloth, available at Home Depot for a buck or two, held
together with duct tape? They come in several weights/thicknesses. The thicker
ones are easier to work with, aside from being sturdier.

FWIW, blue tarps are made of slippery polyethylene, which doesn't hold tape
well.

Matt O.

Old April 28th 05, 06:26 PM
Neil Brooks

"Matt O'Toole" wrote:

Neil Brooks wrote:

"X_HOBBES" wrote:

[...]

So this is where it gets murky. Isn't there an eddy (vortex?) behind
my car (or behind the bike rack with the tarp around it)? If so,
isn't a rear-facing opening likely to ingest the atmosphere more than
a front-facing opening?

I'm inclined to agree with X_HOBBES: not much likelihood of
condensation if I just bag the whole thing.

May I make another suggestion? Since this is temporary -- why not a disposable
plastic painters' dropcloth, available at Home Depot for a buck or two, held
together with duct tape? They come in several weights/thicknesses. The thicker
ones are easier to work with, aside from being sturdier.

FWIW, blue tarps are made of slippery polyethylene, which doesn't hold tape
well.

That's a good idea. I'll have to balance those points against the
reusability of the blue poly guy. I think threading nylon cord
through the grommets will create a nice cinch-sack (TM) for the bikes.

Thanks, Matt.
Old April 28th 05, 06:30 PM
H M Leary

In article ,
Neil Brooks wrote:

I leave tomorrow for Northern Cal. Timing couldn't have been better.
Not only will I drive all day in storms, but /thunderstorms/, too :-D

I'm using a hitch mounted 4-bike rack, with my mtb and tourer on it.

The rack uses cradles for the top tube (rather than fork clamps and/or
tire trays). It's this guy:

http://www.nbeener.com/THULE_RACK.bmp

I've never read anything that leads me to believe that eight solid
hours of being rained on is good for a bike.

How do you cover a bike on a rack like this? Do you just jerry-rig
plastic sheeting around the whole shootin' match (think huge garbage
bag, twist-tied at the back -- hatch side), then remove it immediately
upon arrival (to reduce likelihood of condensation)??

There's no room for them in the car, and . . . I'm not leaving them
behind....

Check with camping and RV places, or even campmor.com. I have seen some
tan colored and tailored tarps specifically for this purpose.

If the setup blocks your rear turnsignals and or brake lights, you'll
most likely get a ticket...

HTH
Old April 28th 05, 06:34 PM
Neil Brooks

H M Leary wrote:

In article ,
Neil Brooks wrote:

[...]

Excellent suggestion! Here's their version, and there's a store 30
minutes away:

http://www.campingworld.com/browse/s...m?skunum=27733

or: http://snipurl.com/ejfz

My theory: if the bike wheels don't block the turn signals, then a
tightly-fit cover won't. I'll absolutely confirm this, though.
Cheaper than being wrong....

I'll have to see if this is any more exciting/versatile than the
multi-purpose $10 tarp + cord idea....

Many thanks!
Old April 28th 05, 06:35 PM
None

Neil Brooks wrote:
I leave tomorrow for Northern Cal. Timing couldn't have been better.
Not only will I drive all day in storms, but /thunderstorms/, too :-D

Don't forget to consider visibility when you bag
your bikes....yours, not the bikes. Make sure you
can see out of the rear window w/o too much
problem AND make sure you don't block people
seeing your brake and turn signals.
Old April 28th 05, 10:59 PM
Robert Lorenzini

On Thu, 28 Apr 2005 16:26:27 GMT, Neil Brooks wrote:
I leave tomorrow for Northern Cal. Timing couldn't have been better.
Not only will I drive all day in storms, but /thunderstorms/, too :-D

If you put anything on that bike that flaps in the wind your going to
lose paint. Bad Idea, the only thing that works is heat shrink plastic.

Bob

Rain cover for on-the-hitch-mounted-rack use?? Neil Brooks General 27 April 30th 05 12:45 AM
Bike Cover for Use On Car Hitch Transport testforecho General 1 November 29th 04 01:13 PM
Need cover for bikes on hitch rack - where? Fred General 3 April 23rd 04 05:43 AM
FAQ Just zis Guy, you know? UK 27 September 5th 03 10:58 PM
Performance Hitch Rack w/wheel "loops" Paul Bielec General 1 August 27th 03 01:15 AM