6 flats in 5 days all on the rear

Old May 25th 05, 09:08 PM
Tom Nakashima

Default 6 flats in 5 days all on the rear

It's a record for me, 6 flats in five days. 4 on thorns, 2 on glass, all on
the rear tire in different locations. The rim is in great shape, rim tape
good, tubes are good, tires are good....just not a good week.
To break the jinx, last night after I got home from my ride, I switched the
front tire and tube with the rear. Thank God for full size frame pumps
which I will always carry with me on a ride.
-tom

Old May 25th 05, 09:28 PM
Ken

"Tom Nakashima" wrote in message
It's a record for me, 6 flats in five days. 4 on thorns, 2 on glass, all
on the rear tire in different locations. The rim is in great shape, rim
tape good, tubes are good, tires are good....just not a good week.
To break the jinx, last night after I got home from my ride, I switched
the front tire and tube with the rear. Thank God for full size frame
pumps which I will always carry with me on a ride.
-tom

I have a theory on tires. Even if they look good. And haven't been riden on
a lot, they exposure to air and light softens the rubber compounds that they
use to make tires.

Ken

Old May 26th 05, 12:03 AM

On Wed, 25 May 2005 13:08:37 -0700, "Tom Nakashima"
wrote:

It's a record for me, 6 flats in five days. 4 on thorns, 2 on glass, all on
the rear tire in different locations. The rim is in great shape, rim tape
good, tubes are good, tires are good....just not a good week.
To break the jinx, last night after I got home from my ride, I switched the
front tire and tube with the rear. Thank God for full size frame pumps
which I will always carry with me on a ride.
-tom

Dear Tom,

Only 7 flats so far this year after 128 rides and almost two
thousand miles.

The secret seems to be arranging for the sand and gravel
company to move downstream to the other side of town and
stop strewing goatheads and chips on the highway--wish that
I'd thought of this years ago.

Smugly,

Carl Fogel
Old May 26th 05, 05:19 AM
OnTwoWheels

"Tom Nakashima" wrote in message
It's a record for me, 6 flats in five days. 4 on thorns, 2 on glass, all

on
the rear tire in different locations. The rim is in great shape, rim tape
good, tubes are good, tires are good....just not a good week.
To break the jinx, last night after I got home from my ride, I switched

the
front tire and tube with the rear. Thank God for full size frame pumps
which I will always carry with me on a ride.
-tom

My record is 8 flats in 10 days after 1 5000 mile year of not a single flat.

Old May 26th 05, 06:39 AM
Phil, Squid-in-Training

OnTwoWheels wrote:
"Tom Nakashima" wrote in message
It's a record for me, 6 flats in five days. 4 on thorns, 2 on
glass, all on the rear tire in different locations. The rim is in
great shape, rim tape good, tubes are good, tires are good....just
not a good week.
To break the jinx, last night after I got home from my ride, I
switched the front tire and tube with the rear. Thank God for full
size frame pumps which I will always carry with me on a ride.
-tom

My record is 8 flats in 10 days after 1 5000 mile year of not a
single flat.

You could do what I do and refrain from riding so as to prevent flats.

--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

Old May 26th 05, 02:45 PM
Tom Nakashima

"Phil, Squid-in-Training" wrote in
message ...
OnTwoWheels wrote:
"Tom Nakashima" wrote in message
It's a record for me, 6 flats in five days. 4 on thorns, 2 on
glass, all on the rear tire in different locations. The rim is in
great shape, rim tape good, tubes are good, tires are good....just
not a good week.
To break the jinx, last night after I got home from my ride, I
switched the front tire and tube with the rear. Thank God for full
size frame pumps which I will always carry with me on a ride.
-tom

You could do what I do and refrain from riding so as to prevent flats.
Phil, Squid-in-Training

NEVER! I will ride to the day I die (could be today?). I don't really mind
the flats, it's part of cycling. Just find it odd that to have 6 flats in
5-consecutive days all on the rear tire. Thought I saw 666 stamped on the
tire when I last changed it.

"OnTwoWheels" wrote in message
My record is 8 flats in 10 days after 1 5000 mile year of not a single
flat.

Yes, I got 6 flats all of last year. My first flat of this year happened
last Friday and my 6th was this past Tuesday. Thinking about making a cross
symbol with brake cable and filling my water bottle with Holy Water.

wrote in message
Dear Tom,
Only 7 flats so far this year after 128 rides and almost two
thousand miles. The secret seems to be arranging for the sand and gravel
company to move downstream to the other side of town and
stop strewing goatheads and chips on the highway--wish that
I'd thought of this years ago.
Smugly,
Carl Fogel

Was thinking, if I could ride within 1.000" of the painted lines I probably
wouldn't get as many flats...but then I would have to face my cycling
buddies and explain the white tires.
-tom

Old May 27th 05, 01:25 AM
Donald Specker

Doublecheck the rim tape. I had an otherwise excellent shop put a generic
cloth tape in my rear Open Pro rim. Right afterwards, I started getting
flats left and right. I finally started looking really close at the tube
and I could see micro-abrasions where the cloth ends were hitting the tube.
Everything felt fine to the finger, but that was the source of the problem.
I removed the tape, put on Velox cloth tape, and the problem utterly
disappeared.

Old May 27th 05, 03:58 PM
Tom Nakashima

"Donald Specker" wrote in message
Doublecheck the rim tape. I had an otherwise excellent shop put a generic
cloth tape in my rear Open Pro rim. Right afterwards, I started getting
flats left and right. I finally started looking really close at the tube
and I could see micro-abrasions where the cloth ends were hitting the
tube. Everything felt fine to the finger, but that was the source of the
problem. I removed the tape, put on Velox cloth tape, and the problem
utterly disappeared.

Yes did that, new Velox cloth tape, but the old one looked good. I broke the
jinx of flats, zero in the last two days. It sure feels good to complete a
ride without a flat, almost forgot what it felt like.
I take Fridays off from cycling.
-tom

New bicycle idea Bob Marley General 49 October 7th 04 05:20 AM
Rear disc brake on 2001 Klein Attitude? Rocketman Off Road 6 January 9th 04 10:18 PM
effect of days off training? Eric Lambi Racing 6 December 23rd 03 03:59 PM
Advice needed on adjusting rear derailleur. Adriad Marshall Techniques 9 October 8th 03 12:54 PM