Significant Accident

Old September 17th 04, 05:33 PM
Arthur Shapiro

Default Significant Accident

Last night was my club's last weekday ride due to declining daylight hours.
We normally have several separate rides, but everyone was happy to have just
one ride and allegedly ride together for a flat, easy 14 miles (!) to sadly
mark the end of summer.

Of course, the fast folks steadily pulled ahead, despite not really pushing
hard, and I stayed back with the stragglers, being woried that I might have to
push them if the pace got too slow and daylight started to fade.

As we came around a corner, I could see a group of our riders stopped ahead,
thanks to our distinctive yellow jerseys, along with several cars with
flashers on. This was clearly not a regroup and not a good sign. We got
there to see a rider down. He was barely conscious, and soon unconscious,
with the heavy, labored breathing that I saw a year or two ago after a
high-speed head on collision between two cyclists.

It wasn't one of our riders; it turned out to be the former president of a
"rival" area club who just coincidentally had overtaken, or been overtaken by,
our riders. He was apparently standing on it, according to several reports,
and snapped something, and went down hard and heavy on his fortunately
helmeted head, right in the middle of our small group. I noticed only slight
road rash on one leg. It took over five minutes to get the paramedics and
fire trucks, despite the station being, I believe, only a few hundred feet
down the intersecting street right where we were. As they were loading the
guy into an ambulance, I insisted my riders take off with me, fast, as roughly
a fifteen minute delay meant night riding was a real possibility. Two riders
with lights, both who knew the victim, stayed behind and were trying to find
a phone number to call his family. We got back in twilight without incident,
although I had to push one lady, with whom I often ride; she was *quite*
shaken by seeing the incident occur directly in front of her.

I am really embarrassed to say that I didn't note the make/model of equipment,
although this was clearly a non-trivial bicycle. The bottom bracket spindle
had snapped at the right crank arm, with the "stub" still in the arm. It
wasn't a perfect smooth cleave. I'm not a metallurgist, and didn't really
know what I might look for to assess the cause. Obviously it gave suddenly,
under full pressure, causing the guy to unexpected lurch to the right side and
go down really hard.

I've heard of cranks breaking, normally Campy for some reason (probably the
stronger riders ride Campy), but don't think I've encountered a fractured BB.
As one who stands on it continuously for almost all hills, it's a matter of
some concern even if this was a one-in-a-million failure.

Art
Old September 17th 04, 08:16 PM
Zog The Undeniable

Arthur Shapiro wrote:

I am really embarrassed to say that I didn't note the make/model of equipment,
although this was clearly a non-trivial bicycle. The bottom bracket spindle
had snapped at the right crank arm, with the "stub" still in the arm. It
wasn't a perfect smooth cleave. I'm not a metallurgist, and didn't really
know what I might look for to assess the cause. Obviously it gave suddenly,
under full pressure, causing the guy to unexpected lurch to the right side and
go down really hard.

I wonder if it was titanium? Incidentally, the fracture would not
necessarily be a "cleave". It would have looked like this if the
failure was due to fatigue in torsion, as is most likely for a BB spindle:

http://www.engr.sjsu.edu/WofMatE/images/shaft1.gif

If you ever find out the make and model, do let us know.

Old September 17th 04, 09:47 PM

Arthur Shapiro writes:

This was clearly not a regroup and not a good sign. We got there to
see a rider down. He was barely conscious, and soon unconscious,
with the heavy, labored breathing that I saw a year or two ago after
a high-speed head on collision between two cyclists.

I am really embarrassed to say that I didn't note the make/model of
equipment, although this was clearly a non-trivial bicycle. The
bottom bracket spindle had snapped at the right crank, with the
"stub" still in the crank. It wasn't a perfect smooth cleave. I'm
not a metallurgist, and didn't really know what I might look for to
assess the cause. Obviously it failed suddenly, under pressure,
causing the rider to lurch to the right and go down hard.

It was most likely a fatigue failure or else it would have broken with
the first few starts from a stand-still or on a short steep hill like
an under- or overpass. That's why I believe you should find out what
brand BB this was so at least we who read this newsgroup will have the
benefit of knowing whose spindles are more failure prone.

I've heard of cranks breaking, normally Campy for some reason
(probably the stronger riders ride Campy), but don't think I've
encountered a fractured BB. As one who stands on it continuously
for almost all hills, it's a matter of some concern even if this was
a one-in-a-million failure.

I don't believe so. I have heard reports of ISIS spindles failing at
the root of the spline, probably from a sudden change in cross
section. Attaching a crank to a spindle is not trivial as was
mentioned in another thread. That is why Shimano has made the FC-7800
design. That the right end failed is doubly disconcerting because the
left end sustains greater loads of bending combined with torsion while
the right side experiences either bending or torsion separately.

Please report back what brand and model BB assembly this was.

Jobst Brandt

Old September 18th 04, 01:51 AM
Arthur Shapiro

I've had an immense case of brain fade - it was a left side fracture, not a
drive side (sorry, Jobst). My first email to one of the two guys who
stayed behind hit paydirt: it turns out that he took the crank arm and has it
with him. He described it as "Campy for the Racing T", which is terminology
unfamiliar to me.

I've asked him for a digital photo ASAP, but I don't know if he has a camera.
I'll post any decent picture, or otherwise ask him to bring it on one of the
weekend rides and take a couple shots myself.

Art
Temporary usercode - to be deleted when spam starts. Use MyBrainHurts at this ISP to reach me
Old September 18th 04, 03:04 AM
Arthur Shapiro

OK, I have confirmation that it was a 175 mm. Campy Racing T.

Still begging for photos, but all I get back is that the bike-side fracture
is more spectacular than the crank, but he'll bring the crank to tomorrow's
ride.

The gentleman had a broken arm, broken rib(s), and broken shoulder at last
report.

Old September 18th 04, 04:33 AM
RonSonic

On Fri, 17 Sep 2004 20:47:52 GMT, wrote:

Arthur Shapiro writes:

[...]

Yes, please do get more info.

I'll place money that it was NOT the square-tapered steel piece that has been
doing the job perfectly well for decades.

Ron
Old September 18th 04, 06:07 AM
Arthur Shapiro

If hosting pictures of the broken part is a problem...

Not a problem - I'm the club's webmaster. But I'll probably put it up on my
personal site. At this point, the custodian is reluctant to bring the bike (a
Merlin) and leave it in his truck during the ride. I've suggested removing
the wheels so it will trivially fit in his cab. We'll see what shows up at
the start tomorrow.

Art