Ok to use 700x35 instead of 700x38?

Old September 8th 05, 05:07 AM
Tom Parker

Default Ok to use 700x35 instead of 700x38?

I have a Specialized Elite Crossroads A1 hybrid, that comes with
700x38 tires. After 5 rear-tire flats in a month (small single slits,
rim-side of the tube), the best I can determine is that these are due
to frayed tire beads (the rubber rim strip, though old, still seems
ok).

I see the new Crossroads come with Specialized Infinity Armadillos,
and so I thought I'd try a pair of these. Calling a bunch of LBS's, I
could only locate that tire in a 700x35 size. I'm wondering if there
would be any problems in using that size rather than the "normal"
700x38? I ride mostly 20-mile commutes.

- Tom
Old September 8th 05, 07:00 AM
Mark Hickey

Tom Parker wrote:

I have a Specialized Elite Crossroads A1 hybrid, that comes with
700x38 tires. After 5 rear-tire flats in a month (small single slits,
rim-side of the tube), the best I can determine is that these are due
to frayed tire beads (the rubber rim strip, though old, still seems
ok).

I see the new Crossroads come with Specialized Infinity Armadillos,
and so I thought I'd try a pair of these. Calling a bunch of LBS's, I
could only locate that tire in a 700x35 size. I'm wondering if there
would be any problems in using that size rather than the "normal"
700x38? I ride mostly 20-mile commutes.

There won't be any problem. In fact, it's always possible that the
35mm tires will actually be as big or even bigger than the 38's, due
to the specsmanship games some of the tire companies play.

Mark Hickey
Habanero Cycles
http://www.habcycles.com
Home of the $795 ti frame
Old September 8th 05, 01:38 PM
araby

"Tom Parker" wrote in message

I have a Specialized Elite Crossroads A1 hybrid, that comes with
700x38 tires. After 5 rear-tire flats in a month (small single slits,
rim-side of the tube), the best I can determine is that these are due
to frayed tire beads (the rubber rim strip, though old, still seems
ok).

I see the new Crossroads come with Specialized Infinity Armadillos,
and so I thought I'd try a pair of these. Calling a bunch of LBS's, I
could only locate that tire in a 700x35 size. I'm wondering if there
would be any problems in using that size rather than the "normal"
700x38? I ride mostly 20-mile commutes.

Unless you ride a lot off road or on rough unpaved roads, the 35's will be a
better choice than the 38's.
I changed the 38's on my touring bike to 32's (Panaracer Paselas) and
greatly prefer them. They weigh less, give a better ride and roll better. In
fact the "32's" actually measure 28mm but they are OK for gravel roads. I've
had one puncture (glass) in two years.

Cheers,

Roy

Old September 9th 05, 02:39 AM
Earl Bollinger

"Tom Parker" wrote in message

I have a Specialized Elite Crossroads A1 hybrid, that comes with
700x38 tires. After 5 rear-tire flats in a month (small single slits,
rim-side of the tube), the best I can determine is that these are due
to frayed tire beads (the rubber rim strip, though old, still seems
ok).

I see the new Crossroads come with Specialized Infinity Armadillos,
and so I thought I'd try a pair of these. Calling a bunch of LBS's, I
could only locate that tire in a 700x35 size. I'm wondering if there
would be any problems in using that size rather than the "normal"
700x38? I ride mostly 20-mile commutes.

- Tom

The 35's are fine, no problem.
But your rubber rim strips are very likely the cause for your flats.
What happens is the rubber rim strip will move to one side or the other,
exposing some spoke holes and a little while later you get a flat.
When you take the tire loose to get at the tube, the rubber rim strip moves
back and appears to be working just fine.
I would seriously suggest changing out your rubber rim strips for Velox Rim
Tape. Get the 22mm wide tape. It will work much better.
There are a few other rim tape brands out there and they should all be the
same as the Velox rim tape too.
The rubber rim strip is too soft and can let the tube bulge down into the
spoke holes too, this sometimes causes a flat as well. But more than likely
the rubber rim strip has moved off from center and exposed some spoke hole
edges to the tube. That's all it takes to get a flat.

Old September 9th 05, 04:55 AM
Tom Parker

On Thu, 8 Sep 2005 20:39:32 -0500, "Earl Bollinger"
wrote:

"Tom Parker" wrote in message
.. .

[...]

Thanks for the info ... thanks also to previous posters Mark and Roy.
I went with the 700x35 size and all seems well. As you pointed out,
rim tape can be a factor, and I have also replaced my old, flimsy
rubber strips with some Velox. New tubes as well, so I hope I have
some luck now and stay flat-free for a while, or at least don't get
any more of those rim-side tube splits. Road debris can probably get
you at any time however, so I have no illusions.

- Tom