BBC tips on bike commuting

Old July 3rd 20, 12:53 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Radey Shouman

Default BBC tips on bike commuting

Now that the covids are weakening, the beeb has some tips for those that
might ride to work. Most of it seemed pretty sane to me.

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/uk-53143...ork-here-s-how

Old July 3rd 20, 01:23 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ralph Barone[_4_]

Radey Shouman wrote:
Now that the covids are weakening, the beeb has some tips for those that
might ride to work. Most of it seemed pretty sane to me.

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/uk-53143...ork-here-s-how

Oh my God!!! They’re all riding on the wrong side of the road!

Old July 3rd 20, 01:35 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 7/2/2020 7:23 PM, Ralph Barone wrote:
Radey Shouman wrote:
Now that the covids are weakening, the beeb has some tips for those that
might ride to work. Most of it seemed pretty sane to me.

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/uk-53143...ork-here-s-how

Oh my God!!! They’re all riding on the wrong side of the road!

Sometimes 'other side of the road' or 'up the kerb' or
'anywhere but here' is exactly the right place to be:

https://wbbm780.radio.com/articles/w...le-hit-and-run

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old July 3rd 20, 02:02 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 7/2/2020 7:53 PM, Radey Shouman wrote:
Now that the covids are weakening, the beeb has some tips for those that
might ride to work. Most of it seemed pretty sane to me.

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/uk-53143...ork-here-s-how

I like it. It's obviously extremely condensed, but the information is good.

Very near the beginning, he says something about choosing a pleasant
route. I think that's often not emphasized enough. I had many people ask
me "You ride your bike to work on the freeway??" as if that was the only
way into town.

Some motorists have forgotten there are often small, quiet parallel
streets, and occasionally, nice cut-throughs open only to bikes and peds.

Whenever I've had a new place to bike to or from, I've done some map
work and exploring.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old July 3rd 20, 02:04 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

Radey Shouman wrote:
Now that the covids are weakening, the beeb has some tips for those that
might ride to work.* Most of it seemed pretty sane to me.

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/uk-53143...ork-here-s-how

Oh my God!!!* They’re all riding on the wrong side of the road!

Sometimes 'other side of the road' or 'up the kerb' or 'anywhere but
here' is exactly the right place to be:

https://wbbm780.radio.com/articles/w...le-hit-and-run

In another discussion group, a poster was using an anecdote to prove to
me that riding a bike was dangerous. He talked about some cyclists who
were hit by a motorist who looked left, then turned out to his right.

That's a sign the riders were on the wrong side of the road. It's
possible to find odd instances where that's better, but as we all know,
those are truly add.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old July 3rd 20, 08:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

On 7/2/2020 5:23 PM, Ralph Barone wrote:
Radey Shouman wrote:
Now that the covids are weakening, the beeb has some tips for those that
might ride to work. Most of it seemed pretty sane to me.

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/uk-53143...ork-here-s-how

Oh my God!!! They’re all riding on the wrong side of the road!

Exactly. The first rule should be to stay to the right.

Old July 3rd 20, 10:07 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ralph Barone[_4_]

Radey Shouman wrote:
Now that the covids are weakening, the beeb has some tips for those that
might ride to work. Most of it seemed pretty sane to me.

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/uk-53143...ork-here-s-how

Oh my God!!! They’re all riding on the wrong side of the road!

Exactly. The first rule should be to stay to the right.

I’d put $5 into a GoFundMe to send you to London and preach the bicycling
gospel according to SMS. :-)

Old July 4th 20, 12:22 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_7_]

Radey Shouman wrote:
Now that the covids are weakening, the beeb has some tips for those that
might ride to work. Most of it seemed pretty sane to me.

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/uk-53143...ork-here-s-how

Oh my God!!! They’re all riding on the wrong side of the road!

Exactly. The first rule should be to stay to the right.

First rule is rubber side down.

Old July 5th 20, 06:05 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Rich[_6_]

On Thursday, 2 July 2020 19:53:46 UTC-4, Radey Shouman wrote:
Now that the covids are weakening, the beeb has some tips for those that
might ride to work. Most of it seemed pretty sane to me.

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/uk-53143...ork-here-s-how
--

Convince yourself that only your elitist urbanite rulers deserve to be in cars. That if you use one, it's a sin. BTW, they all claim to be environmentalists.
Don't worry about weather, freezing, boiling, or cycling in the rain, sweating to death, arriving at work looking like some kind of animal.

Old July 6th 20, 02:59 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

On Sat, 4 Jul 2020 22:05:14 -0700 (PDT), Rich
wrote:

Public transit is disease heaven, reserved for those who are at a basic level, are animals, sardines in-fact.

This is from June 9, 2020 and may not be currently accurate. It also
doesn't necessarily apply to other countries:

"In Japan and France, Riding Transit Looks Surprisingly Safe"
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-06-09/japan-and-france-find-public-transit-seems-safe
No coronavirus clusters have been found on subways, trains
and buses in those countries. Does that mean public
transportation is less risky than thought?

One major contributor to the lower infection rate in Japan is the
tendency for public transit riders to not talk while riding.
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-05-27/trains-planes-and-buses-how-to-avoid-coronavirus
If you talk, you produce aerosol. If you talk louder,
you produce more, so the loud-talking guys on the
train are possibly the worst spreaders of the virus.

That might also apply to loud-talking Usenet contributors, but
suppression will need to wait until a vaccine is found to eliminate
whatever Usenet disease is spreading fake news, false information,
rude behavior, creative logic, sardine analogies, etc.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D

Concerning commuting by bike [email protected] Techniques 30 June 29th 20 02:15 PM
Lighting tips for winter commuting Simon Mason UK 9 September 22nd 11 05:57 PM
Commuting by bike Gavin Watkinson UK 20 June 16th 06 03:20 PM
A bad bike commuting day dgk General 23 January 27th 05 02:52 AM
Tips for commuting between Lane Cove and Epping? Enno Middelberg Australia 8 July 17th 04 08:53 PM