OT. Anything BICYCLING related going on here? LOL

Old Yesterday, 08:46 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

Default OT. Anything BICYCLING related going on here? LOL

On 2/16/2020 9:47 AM, wrote:
On Sunday, February 16, 2020 at 3:30:09 PM UTC+1, Ted Heise wrote:
On Sat, 15 Feb 2020 17:10:55 -0800 (PST),
Frank Krygowski wrote:
On Saturday, February 15, 2020 at 5:37:50 PM UTC-5, John B. wrote:
On Sat, 15 Feb 2020 14:01:55 -0500, Frank Krygowski wrote:

I have a friend who's a skilled and enthusiastic
calligrapher. It's amazing what some people can do.

When I was going to grade school "proper" "penmanship" was
still not unknown and I had one teacher what wrote the most
beautiful penmanship, "Spencerian" I think it was known as,
that when she wrote a note to your parents, "John must try
harder", you wanted to frame it to hang on the wall. :-)

A lost art.

My previous boss does the most wonderful calligraphy you ever will
see. I still get lovely Christmas cards from her.

OTOH, I was the student to whom they gave a special pencil, one
that would guide my fingers into the right configuration. They
hoped it would help. It didn't.

Two-words: Zaner-Bloser. I had a grade school teacher who made me
use one of their pens. Ugh. Didn't help. The notion of moving
my whole arm was entirely foreign, and only made matters worse.

Ever since high school, I've written everything (except my
signature) in upper case block letters. When I write with care,
it looks almost as good as a draftsman's work. When I'm hasty,
it's still mostly legible.

--
Ted Heise West Lafayette, IN, USA

An old colleague wrote his research reports always by hand in upper case block letters with a pencil. He had a beautiful handwriting. When he retired we gave him a font of his own handwriting for his computer.

That's an excellent idea!

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old Yesterday, 09:33 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tim McNamara

On Thu, 13 Feb 2020 14:54:18 -0800 (PST), Sir Ridesalot
wrote:
On Thursday, 13 February 2020 17:15:52 UTC-5, Tim McNamara wrote:

32 years ago, after a terrible winter in my old mini pickup, I bought
a Ford Bronco II and took delivery on Halloween, which it turned out
was appropriate for that vehicle. Never buying another Ford (the
heads cracked, the transmission bits and bobs disintegrated, etc.).
First time I drove it on icy conditions I came up to the corner,
stepped on the brake to turn and sailed right on through. That let
me know that it accelerated better but didn't stop or turn any
better. Cost me a bent rim since the opposite curb stopped me...

Ford = Fix Or Repair Dialy or Found On Road Dead.

Man, my old Bronco II sure lived up to that. I had been under the
mistaken belief that they did trucks better than cars but no. Now,
despite my grousing I bought that vehicle 10/31/1988 and kept it until I
replaced it- funnily enough- on 10/31/2001. 13 years and finally I had
road rage just getting into it, before even starting it. I was dumb,
it's not a long story.

The final straw occurred a week or two earlier- my wife and I had been
out for a bike ride with friends and were on the way home. She was
expressing some disapprobation about the Bronco II (which she hated and
that may have motivated me to keep it out of sheer stubbornness). I
replied defensively that sure, it had been through some problems but
other than that had been fairly reliable. About two minutes later it
ceased running and wouldn't restart. Had to be towed. Uh huh. That
was it. My wife struggled to say nothing, succeeded but with her
silence said everything. Donated for parts. What a pile of junk.
Old Yesterday, 09:40 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tim McNamara

On Thu, 13 Feb 2020 16:58:40 -0600, AMuzi wrote:

applied Newtonian physics refresher course:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6pNqCUNffI

LOL. A few of those may have required cleaning the upholstery
afterwards.

Bicycling related I guess acalcium Australia 0 May 29th 05 05:54 AM
Cycling related Bill C Racing 1 April 17th 05 02:20 AM
My first SPD related fall saveacup UK 18 January 8th 05 11:05 AM
chain related? dreaded General 3 September 17th 04 03:53 AM
chain related? dreaded Techniques 4 September 13th 04 05:07 AM