Knocked off my Di2 RD

Old February 16th 20, 03:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Knocked off my Di2 RD

Because of the storm last week and the stormy wind last night and this morning there were a lot of tree branches and some trees on the trails. After dodging the branches for an hour the **** hit the fan and a branche was caught in my drivetrain and knocked my RD off. Fortunately the replaceable hanger broke off as it should and the control wire just popped out. After untangling the mess I removed the RD and single speeded my bike and just rode home. For Tom I could still operate my FD with a detached RD cable. I had a spare derailleur hanger at home and it was all fixed in 10 minutes. Popped the wire back in and it was up and running again, no adjustment needed. I will put a spare derailleur hanger in my tool 'water bottle' because this repair is easily done on the road/track in which case I would be able to continue my ride. Friend took some pictures:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/cCG6om3oM4ght2r58

Lou
Old February 16th 20, 11:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Sunday, February 16, 2020 at 9:26:13 PM UTC+1, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 2/16/2020 9:41 AM, wrote:
[...]

That looks rugged.

I assume you shortened the chain to keep riding? Good thing you had that
tool.

--
- Frank Krygowski

That chain tool and 'grown up' allen keys 4 and 5 mm are the only tools I carry when off road. Combined with spare quicklink, a couple of zip ties spare tube an 2 CO2 cartridges is enough to keep me going or get me home without calling a 'cab'. Todays misfortune proved that again.

Lou
Old February 21st 20, 09:46 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2020-02-16 17:07, sms wrote:
On 2/16/2020 2:47 PM, wrote:

snip

That chain tool and 'grown up' allen keys 4 and 5 mm are the only
tools I carry when off road. Combined with spare quicklink, a couple
of zip ties spare tube an 2 CO2 cartridges is enough to keep me going
or get me home without calling a 'cab'. Todays misfortune proved that
again.

Jorge can extract pins on a chain with a rock.

Yup. Using a steel nut on top of a bigger rock (to lay the link on), a
small filed-flat concrete nail and a fist-sized rock as a hammer. A
small slit branch holds the nail and the chain in place, mostly to avoid
accidentally smacking the finger tips. Everything except the little nail
and the nut is provided by mother nature. I used to switch out chains
that way until a year ago, except at home I used an anvil and a hammer
instead of the rocks.

Last year I splurged and bouth a Crankbrothers multi-tool which has a
chain breaker. It's heavy though and makes me feel decadent.

Of course, in Lou's case one could have ... found an old piece of scrap
metal in the forest, make a hot fire and forge a makeshift derailer
hanger 8-)

In order to get a 40T cog in back my road bike has an extra derailer
extender. If that ever becomes pretzeled I can remove it and mount the
derailer short, not shifting onto the 40T cog until replaced.

Regarding the tool kit, drive train issues are the reason I carry a tow
rope. Only used it for others so far. Like when the freehub keeps
ratcheting through.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Old February 21st 20, 10:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_2_]