help truing new wheel

Old September 7th 08, 03:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default help truing new wheel

I just built a new rear wheel. It's a 32-spoke 700C. I got it true
and round, except for a slight "hop" near the seam, and I'm not sure
how to remove it. Anybody have any suggestions about how to remove
such a "hop"?

Thanks!
Old September 7th 08, 03:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Sep 7, 9:22*am, wrote:
I just built a new rear wheel. *It's a 32-spoke 700C. *I got it true
and round, except for a slight "hop" near the seam, and I'm not sure
how to remove it. *Anybody have any suggestions about how to remove
such a "hop"?

Thanks!

loosen all the spokes and try again; practice makes perfect
Old September 7th 08, 03:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

On Sep 7, 9:22*am, wrote:
I just built a new rear wheel. *It's a 32-spoke 700C. *I got it true
and round, except for a slight "hop" near the seam, and I'm not sure
how to remove it. *Anybody have any suggestions about how to remove
such a "hop"?

The spokes near rim joint often require more tension than the rest of
the wheel for what it's worth, so if it's "hopping" in a way that that
would help--it's pretty normal--pull it into shape.

Old September 7th 08, 05:18 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Carl Sundquist

wrote in message
I just built a new rear wheel. It's a 32-spoke 700C. I got it true
and round, except for a slight "hop" near the seam, and I'm not sure
how to remove it. Anybody have any suggestions about how to remove
such a "hop"?

Thanks!

700C? What's that? It's an obsolete term. I know that because Tom Sherman
said so.

Old September 7th 08, 05:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JG

Sometimes sandpaper is the best solution. If it's at the seam, you
might not be able to get it out, and risk overtightening the spokes
trying. I wrecked a Campy NR hub that way...

JG
Old September 7th 08, 05:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Michael Baldwin

I just built a new rear wheel. It's a 32-spoke
700C. I got it true and round, except for a
slight "hop" near the seam, and I'm not sure how
to remove it. Anybody have any suggestions about how to
remove such a "hop"?
Thanks!

"In both welded and spliced rims spoke tension may not be uniform near
the joint. However, completely correcting this error may be
impossible." - Jobst Brandt

My own experience includes accepting a .030" radial hop at the joint in
MTB rims. On road rims I've learned to "persuade" the joint just a bit
prior to lacing. I have found successfully over coming the rim joint
"hop", one of the more rewarding aspects of wheel building.

Best Regards - Mike Baldwin

Old September 7th 08, 07:19 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Tom Sherman wrote:

I just built a new rear wheel. It's a 32-spoke 700C. I got it
true and round, except for a slight "hop" near the seam, and I'm
not sure how to remove it. Anybody have any suggestions about how
to remove such a "hop"?

Can you feel it when you ride? If not, I would ignore the hop.

I have no idea ho big the hop is but if it can be felt when braking,
that's what I find important. What brand of rim is this and what
shape is it. If its a deep section aero rim you can't get rid of the
hop, but then that's the price you pay for the modern components.
They look fast but don't deliver where it counts.

Jobst Brandt

Wheel truing 101? Mamba Mountain Biking 7 April 17th 07 10:26 PM
Truing a wheel Josey UK 2 December 11th 06 08:41 PM
truing a wheel uni4life_13 Unicycling 11 November 23rd 06 08:10 AM
Wheel truing Antonio Techniques 15 October 27th 05 06:29 PM
Wheel truing Pete Biggs UK 3 September 20th 03 03:44 PM