Split Gates Drive belt avoids splitting bicycle frame

Old February 3rd 20, 12:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

Default Split Gates Drive belt avoids splitting bicycle frame

The objection of many of us to the Gates Drive until now has been that it requires splitting the frame, thereby weakening it.

Gates now sell a split belt, apparently, according to this
https://www.wereldfietser.nl/phpbb/v...32854&start=40
in a DIY kit. Keep scrolling down until you see the box with the components and the necessary tool for setting the joining rivets that fix the belt onto the sprockets. Keep scrolling for the photos of fitting the Gates Drive, which seems straightforward. Note that Gates is even more demanding of a straight chainlink than a Rohloff installation.

To my mind obviating the need to split the frame at last makes the Gates Drive desirable. It could even be as clean as my current installation of Rohloff HGB/KMC chain/steel or stainless sprockets/Hebie Chainglider with the chain running for its entire life on the factory lube, no service, no cleaning, no added lube, no need for inspections because I know that I can get 3000m at about 0.5mm chain "stretch".

Of course the Gates with a service life of about 5000m cannot compete on cost with the virtually everlasting setup I describe, in which only the chain is replaced at about 3000m, a five minute job with quick links. But I doubt that anyone actually interested in the Gates (or my system) will decide to choose between them on cost.

Andre Jute
In the windmills of my mind
Old February 3rd 20, 01:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Monday, February 3, 2020 at 11:58:04 AM UTC, Andre Jute wrote:
Note that Gates is even more demanding of a straight chainlink than a Rohloff installation.

That should read:
Note that Gates is even more demanding of a straight chainline than a Rohloff installation.

Andre Jute
Damn these autocorrectors that sow confusion

Belt drive db[_2_] Techniques 181 May 6th 19 02:39 PM
Opinions of Gates Carbon Drive system? [email protected] Techniques 36 November 20th 17 01:56 PM
Belt drive bikes? [email protected][_2_] General 5 November 18th 09 03:51 AM
SS Belt Drive? supabonbon Mountain Biking 23 November 18th 04 10:53 PM
SS Belt Drive? supabonbon Techniques 39 November 18th 04 10:53 PM