Should cars be classed as drugs?

Old February 9th 20, 05:06 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mike Collins

Default Should cars be classed as drugs?

The average UK salary is £36Kpa which means take home around £2K per month of which £500 will be spent to feed a driving habit rather than looking after family.
These people need help.
Old February 9th 20, 06:01 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
jnugent

On 09/02/2020 16:06, Mike Collins wrote:

The average UK salary is £36Kpa which means take home around £2K per month of which £500 will be spent to feed a driving habit rather than looking after family.
These people need help.

£500 a month buys a lot of car-use. It probably refers to more than one car.

Are you sure you meant "average UK salary" and not "average UK household
income"?

Current government stats have average (median) full time earnings at
£585 a week (just over £30,000 gross - much less net). Household income
will be higher than that.

AIH, I don't think I've ever been in the habit of spoending £500 a month
in car expenses. Not even including HP repayments. Well, when it did
exceed that for quite a while, I was collecting something between £500
and £1,000 a month in travelling (car-use) expenses. I certainly wasn't
paying £500 a month out of my own pocket (hardly anything, if anything
at all, in fact). But of course, I am not holding out my case as
representing the "average" (however defined).

Old February 9th 20, 06:25 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason[_6_]

On Sunday, February 9, 2020 at 4:06:07 PM UTC, Mike Collins wrote:
The average UK salary is £36Kpa which means take home around £2K per month of which £500 will be spent to feed a driving habit rather than looking after family.
These people need help.

I cycled to work for 15 years and saved £15000 in that period on fuel alone. Plus the fact that I was super fit for my age.
Old February 9th 20, 06:33 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mike Collins

On Sunday, 9 February 2020 17:01:08 UTC, JNugent wrote:
On 09/02/2020 16:06, Mike Collins wrote:

The average UK salary is £36Kpa which means take home around £2K per month of which £500 will be spent to feed a driving habit rather than looking after family.
These people need help.

£500 a month buys a lot of car-use. It probably refers to more than one car.

Are you sure you meant "average UK salary" and not "average UK household
income"?

I don't know. Why don't you do some research and report the outcome with references.
Old February 9th 20, 06:45 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mike Collins

On Sunday, 9 February 2020 17:26:01 UTC, Simon Mason wrote:
On Sunday, February 9, 2020 at 4:06:07 PM UTC, Mike Collins wrote:
The average UK salary is £36Kpa which means take home around £2K per month of which £500 will be spent to feed a driving habit rather than looking after family.
These people need help.

I cycled to work for 15 years and saved £15000 in that period on fuel alone. Plus the fact that I was super fit for my age.

Car addicts will tell you 'Driving makes me feel better', 'I can take it or leave it', 'I only drive socially', 'I can quit driving anytime'.
Old February 9th 20, 06:49 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mr Pounder Esquire

Simon Mason wrote:
On Sunday, February 9, 2020 at 4:06:07 PM UTC, Mike Collins wrote:
The average UK salary is £36Kpa which means take home around £2K per
month of which £500 will be spent to feed a driving habit rather
than looking after family. These people need help.

I cycled to work for 15 years and saved £15000 in that period on fuel
alone. Plus the fact that I was super fit for my age.

And got to work either **** wet through or stinking of sweat. Most of your
time at "work" was spent posting here.
Then you chucked yourself off a bridge.

Old February 9th 20, 07:10 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
jnugent

On 09/02/2020 17:33, Mike Collins wrote:

On Sunday, 9 February 2020 17:01:08 UTC, JNugent wrote:
On 09/02/2020 16:06, Mike Collins wrote:

The average UK salary is £36Kpa which means take home around £2K per month of which £500 will be spent to feed a driving habit rather than looking after family.
These people need help.

£500 a month buys a lot of car-use. It probably refers to more than one car.

Are you sure you meant "average UK salary" and not "average UK household
income"?

I don't know. Why don't you do some research and report the outcome with references.

I had already done that but didn't anticipate your rejection of the
argument, particularly because average earnings are the stuff of news
reports every year.

But let's see...

www.google.co.uk

Enter: uk average pay 2020

.... the same first return as half an hour ago...

https://www.google.co.uk/search?sxsrf=ACYBGNQ0Irm0nDkHAQvKNhU1823yc_deSg%3A 1581271251897&source=hp&ei=00hAXvCkNIKdlwTBhL64DQ& q=uk+average+pay+2020&oq=&gs_l=psy-ab.1.1.35i362i39l10.0.0..4259...2.0..0.0.0.......0 ......gws-wiz.....10.qfk1QLqPO7g

Or: https://tinyurl.com/wn8n3ky

QUOTE:
Employee earnings in the UK: 2019

.... Median weekly earnings for full-time employees reached £585 in April
2019, an increase of 2.9% since April 2018 ...
ENDQUOTE

Government departments involved with employment prefer to use weekly
figures if they can.

So...

Calculator app...

585 x 52 = 30,420.

You snipped a fair bit of my previous post.

Here it is in full:

QUOTE:
£500 a month buys a lot of car-use. It probably refers to more than one car.

Are you sure you meant "average UK salary" and not "average UK household
income"?

Current government stats have average (median) full time earnings at
£585 a week (just over £30,000 gross - much less net). Household income
will be higher than that.

AIH, I don't think I've ever been in the habit of spoending £500 a month
in car expenses. Not even including HP repayments. Well, when it did
exceed that for quite a while, I was collecting something between £500
and £1,000 a month in travelling (car-use) expenses. I certainly wasn't
paying £500 a month out of my own pocket (hardly anything, if anything
at all, in fact). But of course, I am not holding out my case as
representing the "average" (however defined).
ENDQUOTE

Happy to help.

Old February 9th 20, 07:48 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
MrCheerful

On 09/02/2020 17:45, Mike Collins wrote:
On Sunday, 9 February 2020 17:26:01 UTC, Simon Mason wrote:
On Sunday, February 9, 2020 at 4:06:07 PM UTC, Mike Collins wrote:
The average UK salary is £36Kpa which means take home around £2K per month of which £500 will be spent to feed a driving habit rather than looking after family.
These people need help.

I cycled to work for 15 years and saved £15000 in that period on fuel alone. Plus the fact that I was super fit for my age.

Pity it did so little for his brain.
Old February 9th 20, 07:52 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason[_6_]

On Sunday, February 9, 2020 at 5:49:22 PM UTC, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:
Simon Mason wrote:
On Sunday, February 9, 2020 at 4:06:07 PM UTC, Mike Collins wrote:
The average UK salary is £36Kpa which means take home around £2K per
month of which £500 will be spent to feed a driving habit rather
than looking after family. These people need help.

I cycled to work for 15 years and saved £15000 in that period on fuel
alone. Plus the fact that I was super fit for my age.

And got to work either **** wet through or stinking of sweat. Most of your
time at "work" was spent posting here.

I used to be forced to take a break and post, instead of not taking breaks which is what I originally did.

Old February 9th 20, 07:57 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mr Pounder Esquire

wrote:
Simon Mason wrote:
On Sunday, February 9, 2020 at 4:06:07 PM UTC, Mike Collins wrote:
The average UK salary is £36Kpa which means take home around £2K
per month of which £500 will be spent to feed a driving habit
rather than looking after family. These people need help.

I cycled to work for 15 years and saved £15000 in that period on
fuel alone. Plus the fact that I was super fit for my age.

And got to work either **** wet through or stinking of sweat. Most
of your time at "work" was spent posting here.

I used to be forced to take a break and post, instead of not taking
breaks which is what I originally did.

And got to work either **** wet through or stinking of sweat.
Then you jumped of a bridge. ****.

The war on the war on drugs Simon Jester UK 39 July 15th 16 05:37 PM
drugs anyone.... Uncle Spam UK 0 May 4th 10 07:26 AM
Drugs and MTB's Bill General 12 July 12th 09 02:10 AM
Drugs and MTB's robertsrg General 1 July 11th 09 04:24 AM
"It's Not About the Drugs" B. Lafferty Racing 203 August 12th 05 08:23 AM