Near-miss 'could have killed me', says Devon cyclist

Old February 11th 20, 11:40 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason[_6_]

Default Near-miss 'could have killed me', says Devon cyclist

QUOTE:
A cyclist said she feared for her life when a car overtaking her narrowly missed a truck in the oncoming lane.

The driver cut in front of vet Emily Simcock, 42, as she cycled to work on her first day in a new job, with the truck flashing its lights in warning.

"If the car had hit that lorry I would be dead," said Ms Simcock, who caught the manoeuvre on video as she cycled.

The driver's move on the B3344 in Devon put "Emily, themselves and other road users at risk", Cycling UK said.

Ms Simcock was riding to her new job in Kingsteignton on Friday when the car overtook her.

"I could not see any room for them to pass, I knew there was nothing I could do," she said.

It was one of two close-pass incidents on the same journey that left her "angry and shaken".

"Sad to say cyclists are close-passed on almost every journey, though not always as frightening as those ones," Ms Simcock said.

"We should be encouraging cycling for the planet and for our mental and physical health.

"It would put me off, but I cannot imagine a life without cycling.

Keir Gallagher, from Cycling UK, said the footage showed "definitely careless and borderline dangerous driving".

Devon and Cornwall Police has been encouraging victims of dangerous driving to upload videos to Operation Snap, which was launched in July 2019.

In its first six months one driver was prosecuted and four cases were pending based on video evidence sent to the site.

Another driver faces prosecution for cutting up a cyclist in footage from January.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-51443359
Old February 12th 20, 03:16 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
jnugent

On 11/02/2020 11:40, Simon Mason wrote:
[...]

How?

Via an attack of the vapours. Or maybe a hissy fit?
Old February 12th 20, 05:39 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mike Collins

On Wednesday, 12 February 2020 15:16:17 UTC, JNugent wrote:
[...]

Because the 'driver' was more concerned with getting in front of the cyclist than driving safely.
I did some research before joining this group and you don't seem very bright.
Old February 12th 20, 05:57 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
jnugent

On 12/02/2020 17:39, Mike Collins wrote:

[...]

It's you who isn't very bright, since you seem to "think" that not
colliding with something is dangerous.
Old February 12th 20, 08:09 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
colwyn[_2_]

On Wednesday, 12 February 2020 15:16:17 UTC, JNugentĀ* wrote:
[...]

Never heard of stress, trauma, angst, fear etc?
Old February 12th 20, 09:06 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
jnugent

On 12/02/2020 20:09, colwyn wrote:
[...]

The words used were "...could have killed me".

So does it not make any difference whether there's an actual collision
or not?
Old February 12th 20, 09:14 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason[_6_]

On Wednesday, February 12, 2020 at 8:09:22 PM UTC, colwyn wrote:

Never heard of stress, trauma, angst, fear etc?

Spot on.
Go down your local high street with a machine gun and spray off a hail of bullets and see what a devastating effect it has on the local population. Even if nobody gets injured.
Old February 12th 20, 09:15 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
TMS320

On 12/02/2020 15:16, JNugent wrote:
On 11/02/2020 11:40, Simon Mason wrote:
QUOTE:
A cyclist said she feared for her life when a car overtaking her
narrowly missed a truck in the oncoming lane.

"Near-miss could have killed me"?

How?

By forcing the cyclist off course (for one or more of several reasons)
and colliding with something other than the driver's vehicle.
Old February 12th 20, 09:19 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason[_6_]

On Wednesday, February 12, 2020 at 9:15:46 PM UTC, TMS320 wrote:

By forcing the cyclist off course (for one or more of several reasons)
and colliding with something other than the driver's vehicle.

From another post I made today:
QUOTE:
The driver allegedly slammed on his brakes after an overtaking manoeuvre, which caused Dolan to hit a traffic island, sending her flying over the handlebars and resulting in a broken collarbone. Dolan was training with her father in Teignmouth when the crash with Newton, who was driving a grey Dihatsu, happened.
Old February 12th 20, 09:23 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
jnugent

On 12/02/2020 21:15, TMS320 wrote:

On 12/02/2020 15:16, JNugent wrote:
On 11/02/2020 11:40, Simon Mason wrote:

QUOTE:
A cyclist said she feared for her life when a car overtaking her
narrowly missed a truck in the oncoming lane.

"Near-miss could have killed me"?

How?

By forcing the cyclist off course (for one or more of several reasons)
and colliding with something other than the driver's vehicle.

Have you ever heard the expressions "far fetched" or "grasping at straws"?