Near-miss 'could have killed me', says Devon cyclist

Old February 13th 20, 02:03 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason[_6_]

Default Near-miss 'could have killed me', says Devon cyclist

On Thursday, February 13, 2020 at 1:59:42 PM UTC, TMS320 wrote:
On 13/02/2020 12:03, Bod wrote:
On 13/02/2020 11:51, TMS320 wrote:

When a pedestrian is killed in
collision with a bicycle it makes national news, whereas we don't hear
anything about pedestrians killed by motor vehicles.

Man bites dog - big story.
Dog bites man - non story.
Was ever thus.
Old February 13th 20, 02:26 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
TMS320

On 13/02/2020 13:27, JNugent wrote:
On 13/02/2020 08:20, TMS320 wrote:
On 12/02/2020 21:23, JNugent wrote:
On 12/02/2020 21:15, TMS320 wrote:
On 12/02/2020 15:16, JNugent wrote:
On 11/02/2020 11:40, Simon Mason wrote:

QUOTE:
A cyclist said she feared for her life when a car overtaking her
narrowly missed a truck in the oncoming lane.

"Near-miss could have killed me"?

How?

By forcing the cyclist off course (for one or more of several
reasons) and colliding with something other than the driver's vehicle.

Have you ever heard the expressions "far fetched" or "grasping at
straws"?

You asked a question and you got an answer. If you can't discuss, go
away.

Oh dear, sensitive little Polly...

Grasping at straws is something many people do when they have drink at a
fast food establishment.

It is a far fetched idea that JNugent is an intelligent life form.

Next?
Old February 13th 20, 02:43 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
colwyn[_2_]

On 13/02/2020 11:24, MrCheerful wrote:
On 13/02/2020 10:08, colwyn wrote:
On 12/02/2020 21:06, JNugent wrote:
On 12/02/2020 20:09, colwyn wrote:
On 12/02/2020 17:57, JNugent wrote:
On 12/02/2020 17:39, Mike Collins wrote:

On Wednesday, 12 February 2020 15:16:17 UTC, JNugentÂ* wrote:
On 11/02/2020 11:40, Simon Mason wrote:
QUOTE:
A cyclist said she feared for her life when a car overtaking her
narrowly missed a truck in the oncoming lane.

The driver cut in front of vet Emily Simcock, 42, as she cycled
to work on her first day in a new job, with the truck flashing
its lights in warning.

"If the car had hit that lorry I would be dead," said Ms
Simcock, who caught the manoeuvre on video as she cycled.

The driver's move on the B3344 in Devon put "Emily, themselves
and other road users at risk", Cycling UK said.

Ms Simcock was riding to her new job in Kingsteignton on Friday
when the car overtook her.

"I could not see any room for them to pass, I knew there was
nothing I could do," she said.

It was one of two close-pass incidents on the same journey that
left her "angry and shaken".

"Sad to say cyclists are close-passed on almost every journey,
though not always as frightening as those ones," Ms Simcock said.

"We should be encouraging cycling for the planet and for our
mental and physical health.

"It would put me off, but I cannot imagine a life without cycling.

Keir Gallagher, from Cycling UK, said the footage showed
"definitely careless and borderline dangerous driving".

Devon and Cornwall Police has been encouraging victims of
dangerous driving to upload videos to Operation Snap, which was
launched in July 2019.

In its first six months one driver was prosecuted and four cases
were pending based on video evidence sent to the site.

Another driver faces prosecution for cutting up a cyclist in
footage from January.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-51443359

"Near-miss could have killed me"?

How?

Via an attack of the vapours. Or maybe a hissy fit?

Because the 'driver' was more concerned with getting in front of
the cyclist than driving safely.
I did some research before joining this group and you don't seem
very bright.

It's you who isn't very bright, since you seem to "think" that not
colliding with something is dangerous.

Never heard of stress, trauma, angst, fear etc?

The words used were "...could have killed me".

So does it not make any difference whether there's an actual
collision or not?

I'll make it simple: Stress etc. ("Hissy fit" your flippant
observation) = increased blood pressure leading to a stroke or a heart
attack and could result in death ie.: "Could have killed me"!

Should someone that is so near 'the edge' actually be using the roads,
particularly on a two wheeler?

Actually, people near "the edge" are not normally found on bikes. They
need four wheels or Mobility Scooter.
When do you think you will suffer a disability or life threatening
condition, do you know?
Old February 13th 20, 03:15 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
MrCheerful

On 13/02/2020 14:43, colwyn wrote:
[...]

I know that I do not get 'scared to death' on the roads, I do see and
sometimes encounter something bad, but they don't make my heart jump or
give me a panic attack. I have a long history of road use in nearly
every type of vehicle, including steam, and a few years of track time
(which is a very good way to get over any silly misconceptions, and I
would encorage anyone to try it, they will be better road users, just as
those who ride motorcycles are)
Old February 13th 20, 03:30 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
colwyn[_2_]

On 13/02/2020 15:15, MrCheerful wrote:
[...]

give me a panic attack.Â* I have a long history of road use in nearly
every type of vehicle, including steam, and a few years of track time
(which is a very good way to get over any silly misconceptions, and I
would encorage anyone to try it, they will be better road users, just as
those who ride motorcycles are)

You made a statement that people on "the edge" should not be using the
roads!
Just tell me, when will you have an ailment that renders you fragile!
Your response has not offered a hint to suggest you know.
Old February 13th 20, 03:58 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
MrCheerful

On 13/02/2020 15:30, colwyn wrote:
[...]

or give me a panic attack.Â* I have a long history of road use in
nearly every type of vehicle, including steam, and a few years of
track time (which is a very good way to get over any silly
misconceptions, and I would encorage anyone to try it, they will be
better road users, just as those who ride motorcycles are)

You made a statement that people on "the edge" should not be using the
roads!
Just tell me, when will you have an ailment that renders you fragile!
Your response has not offered a hint to suggest you know.

Nobody knows the future, not even me, but since I don't get flustered
now, I don't expect that will suddenly change to being scared to death
at a 'close pass' Calmness and knowledge are the requisites of a good
road user.
Old February 13th 20, 05:32 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
TMS320

On 13/02/2020 15:58, MrCheerful wrote:
On 13/02/2020 15:30, colwyn wrote:
On 13/02/2020 15:15, MrCheerful wrote:

I know that I do not get 'scared to death' on the roads, I do see and
sometimes encounter something bad, but they don't make my heart jump
or give me a panic attack.Â* I have a long history of road use in
nearly every type of vehicle, including steam, and a few years of
track time (which is a very good way to get over any silly
misconceptions, and I would encorage anyone to try it, they will be
better road users, just as those who ride motorcycles are)

I agree that variety helps but most people just use the roads to get
from one place to another. Many are not open to analysis and improvement.

You made a statement that people on "the edge" should not be using the
roads!
Just tell me, when will you have an ailment that renders you fragile!
Your response has not offered a hint to suggest you know.

Nobody knows the future, not even me, but since I don't get flustered
now, I don't expect that will suddenly change to being scared to death
at a 'close pass'Â* Calmness and knowledge are the requisites of a good
road user.

Confidence, calmness and knowledge are not characteristics of all road
users. Not ideal but it's reality.
Old February 13th 20, 06:02 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
jnugent

On 13/02/2020 15:30, colwyn wrote:

On 13/02/2020 15:15, MrCheerful wrote:
On 13/02/2020 14:43, colwyn wrote:

[ ... ]

[...]

Did he?

Most people with a reeasonable command of English would say that...

"Should someone that is so near 'the edge' actually be using the roads,
particularly on a two wheeler?"

....is a question, and not a statement or assertion.

Just tell me, when will you have an ailment that renders you fragile!

That's another question.

Your response has not offered a hint to suggest you know.

That's another assertion.