Sniffer Bikes monitor air pollution levels on the go

Old February 11th 20, 02:38 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason[_6_]

Default Sniffer Bikes monitor air pollution levels on the go

QUOTE:
The Sniffer Bike is a pedal-powered laboratory – a mobile particulate matter sensor that aims to raise awareness about air pollution. Developed as an open-source project, the Sniffer Bike comprises a small box of handlebar-mounted electronics that measures the air every ten seconds and presents the data on an interactive dashboard, which can then be shared to build a picture of local air pollution.

To kickstart the project, 10 cyclists have been given a Sniffer Bike to gather first-hand data around Utrecht. Over the course of two weeks, the Sniffer Bikes have covered over 3,800 km and collected a large amount of data.

Further information about the project including plans for how to build your own Sniffer Bike can be viewed at sodaq.com

Here in Britain, air pollution has the potential to damage our health from before we are born, dog us throughout our lives, and for over 40,000 of us every year, kill us.

Our poisoned air affects all of us, no matter our age and recent studies highlights the damage extending far beyond the lungs. Research has revealed that air pollution causes a significant reduction in intelligence – equivalent to missing an entire year of education.

It now appears that air pollution may be damage our health before we are even born. CONTINUES.

https://www.eta.co.uk/2020/02/05/sni...els-on-the-go/
Old February 11th 20, 02:45 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
jnugent

On 11/02/2020 13:38, Simon Mason wrote:

QUOTE:
Research has revealed that air pollution causes a significant reduction in intelligence – equivalent to missing an entire year of education.

It's probably worst in places near to large petro-chemical plants.

Places such as the western edge of Hull, for instance.
Old February 11th 20, 03:51 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
MrCheerful

On 11/02/2020 13:45, JNugent wrote:
On 11/02/2020 13:38, Simon Mason wrote:

QUOTE:
Research has revealed that air pollution causes a significant
reduction in intelligence – equivalent to missing an entire year of
education.

It's probably worst in places near to large petro-chemical plants.

Places such as the western edge of Hull, for instance.

and breathing hard on the polluted air while cycling a long way to work
every day for 15 years could explain the suicide attempt and mad attitudes

OT : Sniffer Judith[_4_] UK 85 April 26th 12 07:11 PM
"City pollution 'at danger levels' in Scotland" Doug[_12_] UK 15 January 3rd 12 09:05 AM
Levels?? Pantelis Unicycling 18 June 20th 06 11:46 PM
For the Jock Sniffer [email protected] Racing 1 March 1st 05 03:50 AM
Dave Towle; Chris Horner chamois sniffer alert! crit pro Racing 2 September 21st 04 12:36 AM