OT. Anything BICYCLING related going on here? LOL

Old February 14th 20, 11:31 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Default OT. Anything BICYCLING related going on here? LOL

On 2/14/2020 4:33 PM, John B. wrote:
On Fri, 14 Feb 2020 15:26:17 -0500, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

On 2/14/2020 1:29 PM, AMuzi wrote:
On 2/14/2020 11:17 AM, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 2/14/2020 8:53 AM, AMuzi wrote:
On 2/14/2020 12:52 AM, Tosspot wrote:
On 13/02/2020 01:45, AMuzi wrote:
On 2/12/2020 5:43 PM, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
Anyone here doing anything BICYCLING related?

Cheers

Cleaning a 1970 Raleigh Competition (Carlton built)
frameset which is, basically, making black snot with emery
dust and elbow grease.

Applause Weinmann center pulls and everything 70's going
on to it?

We normally only see the frames here but yes he says it's
all original.

For those who like that sort of thing, befo
http://www.yellowjersey.org/photosfr...ast/ral18c.jpg
after:
http://www.yellowjersey.org/photosfr...ast/ral18q.jpg

About brakes: Those were the long-arm center pull brakes
that came originally on my Raleigh Super Course. It also had
a similar stamped steel cable housing stop hanging from the
headset. That part was pretty flexible.

I always thought those brakes were weak. Eventually I
replaced them with Shimano cantilevers and a more rigid
cable stop. Also, Kool-Stop salmon pads. I like that setup
much better. The Weinmann brakes are now on my three speed.

But when the bike had those original brakes, I did loaded
tours of England (with some time in hilly Devon) and
Scotland (including the hills around Loch Ness) plus the
Appalachians.

Separate question: Andrew, on my bike, the logos were hand
lettered, not decals. Do you do that in your shop?

We do not ourselves. We hire it out to an artist; not cheap, it's highly
skilled labor.

Who did yours? Did you do it yourself?

I never attempted it. I did trace the original, hoping to try it
someday, but it's 30 years later and I haven't gotten around to it!

Vaguely related: For a few years, I've been nibbling away at a weird
project, a "reflecting ceiling sundial." I'm at the point where I need
to paint a complicated set of overlapping analemma curves on my ceiling.

If I had a skilled pinstripe artist or sign painter who could work in an
anti-gravity field, I'd hire him. But pinstriping brushes and rollers
don't seem to work well upside down. I'm forced to double-mask dozens of
these curves. It's terribly tedious.

You can buy "paint pens", I think that they are called. I've used them
to pin stripe things and they worked for me :-)
https://www.amazon.com/paint-pens/s?k=paint+pens
I pinstriped a frame and than sprayed a clear coat and so far it has
held up well.

Besides the acrylic ones I use (probably what you used too -
Uchida Paint Pen? DecoColor?) they now come in a water-base
version (can't recall the brand) including neon colors.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old February 15th 20, 12:46 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_2_]

On Thursday, February 13, 2020 at 8:47:00 PM UTC-8, Joy Beeson wrote:
On Thu, 13 Feb 2020 16:20:04 -0500, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

Seems we could do with an entire thread on tracking down bike noises.
I've experienced many mysteries. Working on cars, a mechanic's
stethoscope has been handy, but it's useless on a bike.

My favorite story in that line is a mysterious clanking that started
while I was riding over a long, high bridge. It turned out that the
noise was coming from a bird flying beside me.

I swear, that bird was smirking.

--
Joy Beeson
joy beeson at comcast dot net

I'm sure it was. We have a lady bird watcher in the group and she does bird counts in one area. When I go to her target area there are song birds of every sort everywhere. But when she goes the hide. I think that if they get marked down as "endangered" they get special services from the government.
Old February 15th 20, 12:49 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_2_]

On Friday, February 14, 2020 at 9:24:28 AM UTC-8, wrote:
On Friday, February 14, 2020 at 5:36:54 PM UTC+1, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 2/14/2020 5:11 AM, wrote:
On Thursday, February 13, 2020 at 10:10:13 PM UTC+1, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 2/13/2020 1:56 PM,
wrote:
On Thursday, February 13, 2020 at 12:43:19 AM UTC+1, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
Anyone here doing anything BICYCLING related?

Cheers

It seems that we are skipping winter over here. No snow, no icy roads or other inconvenience. The lowest temperatures up to now were just above freezing which is no problem for a 2-3 hour ride. This years counter is at almost 1300 km. The roads were wet a lot though so I had to cleaned my bikes often.

Got informed today why the frame of my new gravel bike is delayed. 'The finish of and around the bottom bracket shell was not according to manufacturer standards' and the frame didn't pass their quality control. I don't what that means but someone in Colorado f*cked up and has to do something over. Bummer...

I'm surprised someone in Europe is buying bikes from the U.S. How times
have changed!

--
- Frank Krygowski

Bikes? Just a frame and fork. A bike is an assembly of parts coming from all over the world. This bike will have parts coming from, lets see,
US, Italy, Japan, France, Switserland, Germany, UK. Assembled in NL.

OK, frame and fork. When I started riding as an adult, anyone wanting
top quality bought their frame and fork (if not the whole bike) from
Europe. Everyone knew that bikes made in the U.S. couldn't be any good.
We're in a different world now.

That was the time you had the choice of only one material: steel. That changed with titanium, aluminum and later CF.

But seriously, was there a reason you didn't find a European
manufacturer? I'm just curious.

Simple in Europe they don't make frames with that material with that quality and finish. Fortunately (in this case) the US is 'old fashioned' and still serving that niche market.

Lou

You can get custom made steel Italian manufacturers but Waterford makes incomparable bikes for the same price in any type or size you want.
Old February 15th 20, 12:55 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_2_]

On Friday, February 14, 2020 at 10:47:40 AM UTC-8, Ted Heise wrote:
On Fri, 14 Feb 2020 12:26:02 -0600,
AMuzi wrote:
On 2/14/2020 10:36 AM, Frank Krygowski wrote:

OK, frame and fork. When I started riding as an adult, anyone
wanting top quality bought their frame and fork (if not the
whole bike) from Europe. Everyone knew that bikes made in the
U.S. couldn't be any good. We're in a different world now.

But seriously, was there a reason you didn't find a European
manufacturer? I'm just curious.

Frank, when you were a wee lad we had Paramounts, as high a
quality handbuilt frame as anything on earth

+1

My old riding buddy had a couple of Paramounts. His oldest was a
thing of beauty, and much beloved.

--
Ted Heise West Lafayette, IN, USA

All of the Paramount's I had were European-like models, heavy, not well balanced and made from some sort of tubing that could double under the street running sewage through. I never could find a Waterford made model in my size. They were really nice bikes in steel and the new Waterfords make them look like trash.
Old February 15th 20, 12:59 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.

wrote:

[...]

I just used black. The bike is powder coated red and yellow and while
black doesn't look "bad" but I think, if there is a next time, I'll
use red on the yellow sections and yellow on the red sections.

They certainly do work better than sitting there with your tongue
sticking out the corner of your mouth trying to stripe with a tiny
paint brush :-)
--
cheers,

John B.

Old February 15th 20, 02:24 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ted Heise

On Fri, 14 Feb 2020 14:49:53 -0600,
AMuzi wrote:
On 2/14/2020 2:26 PM, Frank Krygowski wrote:
[...]

I asked because I couldn't think of a frame with hand painted
graphics. I still can't recall one.

The Waterford I bought back in 1998 had my name (in cursive)
painted on it. I had assumed that was hand painted, but maybe it
was not?

In a thread tie (or maybe it was somewhere else in this thread?),
I bought the Waterford because I was envious of my buddy's classic
Paramount, and it seemed the closest I could come to it.

--
Ted Heise West Lafayette, IN, USA
Old February 15th 20, 02:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

AMuzi wrote:
[...]

Waterford script (and block) graphics are dry mount film
transfers:
http://www.yellowjersey.org/wfdrs33.jpg

I know the guy who screens them.

Regarding Frank's Raleigh, these are actual 45 year old
solvent mount graphics (hence a bit yellowed) recently applied:
http://www.yellowjersey.org/photosfr...ast/rsc18q.jpg

Old February 15th 20, 05:33 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

wrote:

On 2/14/2020 1:29 PM, AMuzi wrote:
On 2/14/2020 11:17 AM, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 2/14/2020 8:53 AM, AMuzi wrote:
On 2/14/2020 12:52 AM, Tosspot wrote:
On 13/02/2020 01:45, AMuzi wrote:
On 2/12/2020 5:43 PM, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
Anyone here doing anything BICYCLING related?

Cheers

Cleaning a 1970 Raleigh Competition (Carlton built)
frameset which is, basically, making black snot with emery
dust and elbow grease.

ApplauseÂÂ* Weinmann center pulls and everything 70's going
[...]

I pinstriped a frame and than sprayed a clear coat and so far itÂ* has
held up well.

Besides the acrylic ones I use (probably what you used too - Uchida
Paint Pen? DecoColor?) they now come in a water-base version (can't
recall the brand) including neon colors.

An art teacher friend of mine recommended those paint pens. I tried
Artist's Loft brand, but they are not sufficiently opaque. These say
they're alcohol based.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old February 15th 20, 05:34 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ted Heise

AMuzi wrote:
[...]

Interesting. Just to double confirm, they use the same process
not just for the company name, but for the customer hame (i.e., a
one off, unique to each bike)?

--
Ted Heise West Lafayette, IN, USA
Old February 15th 20, 06:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

AMuzi wrote:
[...]

Customer name or logo or motto (billing line says
'personalization') may be either hand lettered by a not
staff artist, like striping:
http://www.yellowjersey.org/wfdsam1.jpg

or computer generated letters.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

Bicycling related I guess acalcium Australia 0 May 29th 05 05:54 AM
Cycling related Bill C Racing 1 April 17th 05 02:20 AM
My first SPD related fall saveacup UK 18 January 8th 05 10:05 AM
chain related? dreaded General 3 September 17th 04 03:53 AM
chain related? dreaded Techniques 4 September 13th 04 05:07 AM