innovation - pedal grab

Old April 5th 04, 09:41 PM
unigeee

Default innovation - pedal grab

who can be said to have done the first pedal grab? and when?

john

--
unigeee - Hmmmmm!
unigeee's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5397

Old April 5th 04, 09:49 PM
duaner

unigeee wrote:
*who can be said to have done the first pedal grab? and when?

john *

Or, maybe the questions are "who first went to rubber from a pedal grab?
and when?" I suspect that (many) others like me did their first pedal
grabs as missed hops, which happened to land/catch on the pedal.

--
duaner - -

duaner.
duaner's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4297

Old April 5th 04, 09:53 PM
unigeee

point well taken. so who first went to rubber? and when?

john

Old April 5th 04, 10:18 PM
sabin_a.

I'm pretty sure the one and only Kris Holm invented the pedal grab.
(i'm not positive, but pretty sure)
-Sabin

--
sabin_a. - Semi Expert

"Is it possible to microwave a burrito so hot that god himself could not
eat it?"

'SIXSIXONE' (www.sixsixone.com)

sabin_a.'s Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4457

Old April 5th 04, 10:48 PM
daino149

sabin_a. wrote:
*I'm pretty sure the one and only Kris Holm invented the pedal grab.
(i'm not positive, but pretty sure)
-Sabin *

I remember hearing KH say that he thinks he's the first. I think it
might have been in the discovery channel show More then Human, but again
I'm not sure.

Daniel

--
daino149 - How's it going, Texas?

there ain't enough body armor in the country for me to try that. -- Ken
on the mtbr forum in reference to MUni

Old April 5th 04, 10:51 PM
danger_uni

sabin_a. wrote:
*I'm pretty sure the one and only Kris Holm invented the pedal grab.
(i'm not positive, but pretty sure)
-Sabin *

I think I was the first to do this as a technique for trials, as far as
I know. Frontside pedal grabs in '98, and offside pedal grabs in 2000
I think.

Kris

--
danger_uni - Kris Holm
danger_uni's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/21

Old April 6th 04, 12:24 AM
unigeee

what a great invention!

I think I was the first to do this as a technique for trials

does that mean that it has been used as a technique for other forms of
unicycling before then?

john

Old April 6th 04, 12:57 AM
danger_uni

unigeee wrote:
*what a great invention!

does that mean that it has been used as a technique for other forms of
unicycling before then?

john *

Trials as a serious sport unto itself was pretty much born in the mid
1980's, but people have being doing things on unis for over 100 years
that could be considered "trials".

Consequently, there's a grey area surrounding the origin of
trials-specific techniques like pedal grabs. Likely people have hung
off their pedals on things previously, but as far as I know it was never
used as a serious method to negotiate terrain that you couldn't hop to
directly.

Kris

Old April 6th 04, 01:39 AM
gpickett00

Did Kris invent any other tricks?

--
gpickett00 - I can ride with just one foot!!!!!!

Bicycle is just a short way of saying unicycle with a training wheel.
'Our unicycling video' (http://www.unicyclist.com/gallery/albuv95)
I like to do things that confuse other people - mix chocolate milk and
orange juice, read books in trees, and other junk like that.

gpickett00's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5654

Old April 6th 04, 01:52 AM
danger_uni

gpickett00 wrote:
*Did Kris invent any other tricks? *

While brakes certainly had been installed on unicycles before I did it,
I think I might have been the first to use brakes for technical downhill
in MUni.

Seat out in front hopping has been around for a long time, but I think
that George Peck was the first to use it for serious trials.

Rolling hops became a big part of unicycle trials and street freestyle
when Dan Heaton, Adam Ryznar and I were filming one day in downtown
Vancouver for Universe 1. I did a 29" rolling hop onto a parking lot
divider, and then Dan and Adam went back and took it to a new level with
all the grinding and higher rolling hops that have been done since
then.

There's some great history in freestyle tricks as well. Anybody want
to share any of the history behind coasting, gliding, stand-up tricks
etc.?

Kris.

Pedal Grab records sabin_a. Unicycling 9 March 29th 04 04:53 AM
secret to pedal grabbing muniracer Unicycling 5 March 3rd 04 07:14 AM
Pedal came off crank arm while riding Gordon Techniques 16 September 10th 03 12:50 PM
my pedal is rusted and I can't get it off. I have to get it off so I can replace the bent pedal. HELP!!!!!!! wanglu Techniques 6 September 7th 03 02:05 AM