Flat again today but prepared.

Old May 17th 21, 07:14 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Default Flat again today but prepared.

On 5/17/2021 9:47 AM, Tom Kunich wrote:
On Sunday, May 16, 2021 at 7:58:56 PM UTC-7, wrote:
On Sunday, May 16, 2021 at 5:02:03 PM UTC-4, Sir Ridesalot wrote:

I like a decent pump a lot better. My favourite pumps are the Zefal HP or Zefal HPX.

I agree. And I had some luck with my HPX the other day. I hadn't used it for a long time, so
grabbed it instead of my floor pump to inflate my tires.

Well! I couldn't get it to switch from "X" mode (for clipping into my bike frame) to "HP" mode
(for actually inflating the tire). It took several shots of lubricant into the fancy 2-way handle,
plus a lot of working things back and forth. And the steel pump shaft was a bit rusty too.
I cleaned and lubricated that plus the leather washer.

I was glad I learned this at home instead of on the road. Moral of the story: Maintain your pump.

- Frank Krygowski

Silca is coming back to life and perhaps they will use their own pump technology to build full sized frame pumps if enough people write them about it.

???
Silca USA has made them, very well, for about six years.
http://www.yellowjersey.org/silca15.jpg

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old May 17th 21, 10:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mark cleary

On Monday, May 17, 2021 at 1:14:14 PM UTC-5, AMuzi wrote:
[...]

How easy is it to get the Silca up to say 90 psi and can that even happen? I have no information on them other than they are a frame pump. My assumption is they probably are much easier than any mini pump.
Deacon Mark
Old May 17th 21, 10:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 5/17/2021 4:43 PM, Mark cleary wrote:
[...]

Define 'easy' !!

They're not light - heavy aluminum construction compared to
a classic Immpero. Heavier than an HPX too. By a lot.

But tough. Besides dog flailing (much discussed,
infrequently practiced) you could really hurt a man with one
of these. Made much like a police baton with a rubber seal
inside the end.

Diameter is smaller (20mm) than a classic Impero (21mm) but
larger than an HPX (17mm) and most minis (17mm & smaller).
With your typical young rider's physique it's great. Riders
who are less strong will fight to inflate to road pressures.
Long is a feature but as we all know from HPX, long and
skinny is better for most purposes.

My daughter OTOH defines 'easy' as asking me to drive 180
miles each way to change her tires. I was there last evening.

Old May 18th 21, 02:30 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 5/17/2021 5:59 PM, AMuzi wrote:
[...]

Nothing is difficult (or impossible) for the person who doesn't have to
do it.

https://www.forbes.com/quotes/9/

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old May 18th 21, 03:23 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
pH

On 2021-05-17, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On Sunday, May 16, 2021 at 3:06:08 PM UTC-4, AMuzi wrote:
I always ended my flat-tire classes with the note that, 'a
flat is never at a convenient time, often associated with
rain, heat, cold, mosquitoes or just running late to be
somewhere else...

We could probably do a thread on worst flat tire situations.

Mine was in Acadia National Park, at dusk, on a long marshy path that was a short cut from our
campsite to some road or other. The flat was the rear of the tandem. My wife and kid were
free to swat at the million mosquitoes, but my hands were too busy for me to defend myself.
Fixing the flat seemed to take forever.

- Frank Krygowski

This is the point at which you break out your emergency cigar and have your
wife puff and blow away continuously while you complete the task.

Wife and I took turns doing this while cooking dinner one time on a bike
hike....eat and dive into the tent. Kill errant mosquitos. Listen to the
hum.

I can't believe the guys who bike tour without a tent!

pH
Old May 18th 21, 03:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_4_]

On Monday, May 17, 2021 at 11:14:14 AM UTC-7, AMuzi wrote:
[...]

Those don't work very well on anything other than older tube frame bikes. And even then I have shaken them off. The older pumps that fit on a peg were a great deal less likely to come off and go into the spokes.
Old May 18th 21, 06:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 5/17/2021 10:23 PM, pH wrote:

I can't believe the guys who bike tour without a tent!

When my wife and I were first getting into backpacking in the 1970s,
_the_ instructional book to read was _The Complete Walker_ by Colin
Fletcher. One of his major points was "you don't need a tent." He
advocated sleeping under the stars, or at most, a tarp.

In a subsequent edition, he realized that there are places that have
mosquitoes.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old May 18th 21, 07:37 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ted Heise

On Tue, 18 May 2021 13:51:42 -0400,
Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 5/17/2021 10:23 PM, pH wrote:

I can't believe the guys who bike tour without a tent!

When my wife and I were first getting into backpacking in the
1970s, _the_ instructional book to read was _The Complete
Walker_ by Colin Fletcher. One of his major points was "you
don't need a tent." He advocated sleeping under the stars, or
at most, a tarp.

This was my favorite when I was getting started in the 70s:

Backpacking: One Step at a Time

by Harvey Manning

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...46-backpacking

It was a really enjoyable read. Now, I doubt I'll ever go
backpacking again. The body just doesn't seem up for it.

In a subsequent edition, he realized that there are places that
have mosquitoes.

Heh. WHo knew?

--
Ted Heise West Lafayette, IN, USA
Old May 18th 21, 11:17 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Tuesday, May 18, 2021 at 1:51:46 p.m. UTC-4, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 5/17/2021 10:23 PM, pH wrote:

I can't believe the guys who bike tour without a tent!

When my wife and I were first getting into backpacking in the 1970s,
_the_ instructional book to read was _The Complete Walker_ by Colin
Fletcher. One of his major points was "you don't need a tent." He
advocated sleeping under the stars, or at most, a tarp.

In a subsequent edition, he realized that there are places that have
mosquitoes.

--
- Frank Krygowski

That's what I love about winter camping = no black flies or mosquitoes.

Cheers
Old May 19th 21, 05:34 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joy Beeson

On Tue, 18 May 2021 15:17:15 -0700 (PDT), Sir Ridesalot
wrote:

That's what I love about winter camping = no black flies or mosquitoes.

And the poison ivy and thorns are under five feet of snow.

I only got to go once, though.

--
Joy Beeson
joy beeson at centurylink dot net

Be prepared! Nick Kew UK 13 January 21st 07 06:00 PM
Boonen rode the last 5k on a front flat today Bret Racing 6 July 6th 06 01:35 AM
Flat tire today... rdclark General 21 May 1st 05 09:24 PM
Today's ride - first flat of the season Callas UK 10 June 21st 04 11:08 AM
Are you prepared for the snow? Colin Blackburn UK 64 January 31st 04 10:40 PM