Legality of flashing bicycle lights?

Old November 23rd 14, 11:46 PM posted to uk.rec.driving,uk.legal,uk.rec.cycling
Alex Heney

Default Legality of flashing bicycle lights?

On Sun, 23 Nov 2014 11:11:59 +0000, "Nightjar \"cpb\"@" "insert my
surname here wrote:

On 22/11/2014 21:25, Howard wrote:
Uncle Peter wrote:

I always thought flashing lights on bikes were illegal, yet the rear ones
have flashed for some time now and I don't know of anyone being done
for
it. But now the FRONT ones flash too(which is very distracting for
someone coming the other way). Are these actually allowed? Every time
see one, I repeatedly flash my car's lights to return the favour.
They don't like that one bit.

In Ireland almost EVERY bicycle has flashing lights front and read now,
and they are highly encouraged.

As a driver I love to see ti because they are a hundred times more
visible that small steady ones. For cyclists they also last a lot
longer.

The problem with them is that on an unlit road at night they don't give
anything to focus on, making it virtually impossible to know how far
away the cyclist is. Not a problem where there are street lights and you
can see the cyclist, but on rural roads they would be a lot safer if
accompanied by a steady light as well.

On unlit rural roads,. they aren't going to provide suitable light for
the cyclist to see by either, so any sane cyclist *will* also have a
steady light if they are going to be riding on such roads.
--
Alex Heney, Global Villager
Press any key... no, no, no, NOT THAT ONE!
Old November 23rd 14, 11:49 PM posted to uk.rec.driving,uk.legal,uk.rec.cycling
Alex Heney

On Sat, 22 Nov 2014 22:47:46 -0000, "Uncle Peter" wrote:

On Sat, 22 Nov 2014 22:42:43 -0000, Mrcheerful wrote:

On 22/11/2014 20:05, Uncle Peter wrote:
I always thought flashing lights on bikes were illegal, yet the rear
ones have flashed for some time now and I don't know of anyone being
done for it. But now the FRONT ones flash too(which is very distracting
for someone coming the other way). Are these actually allowed? Every
time I see one, I repeatedly flash my car's lights to return the
favour. They don't like that one bit.

Wrong, flashing lights on bicycles are now legal, but it is recommended
that steady ones are fitted too, especially in unlit areas.

It would appear they made them legal so the batteries lasted longer, how ****ing stupid can you get?

The fact that one person has suggested that to be the reason does not
make it so.

A flashing white light aimed at you is not making it easier to see.

It most certainly is (not that these lights are "aimed at you" - they
don't generally have a focused beam at all, so are not "aimed"
anywhere.
--
Alex Heney, Global Villager
Strike any user when ready.
Old November 24th 14, 12:18 AM posted to uk.rec.driving,uk.legal,uk.rec.cycling
Uncle Peter

On Sun, 23 Nov 2014 23:49:19 -0000, Alex Heney wrote:

On Sat, 22 Nov 2014 22:47:46 -0000, "Uncle Peter" wrote:

On Sat, 22 Nov 2014 22:42:43 -0000, Mrcheerful wrote:

On 22/11/2014 20:05, Uncle Peter wrote:
I always thought flashing lights on bikes were illegal, yet the rear
ones have flashed for some time now and I don't know of anyone being
done for it. But now the FRONT ones flash too(which is very distracting
for someone coming the other way). Are these actually allowed? Every
time I see one, I repeatedly flash my car's lights to return the
favour. They don't like that one bit.

Wrong, flashing lights on bicycles are now legal, but it is recommended
that steady ones are fitted too, especially in unlit areas.

It would appear they made them legal so the batteries lasted longer, how ****ing stupid can you get?

The fact that one person has suggested that to be the reason does not
make it so.

I read it on a website which looked correct.

A flashing white light aimed at you is not making it easier to see.

It most certainly is

It might make it easier to spot the light, but then you can't see the cyclist that's making the light. Picture a car coming the opposite way to your car on a narrow road or going round parked cars, with full beam on, you can't tell where the edge of his car is to pass him safely.

(not that these lights are "aimed at you" - they
don't generally have a focused beam at all, so are not "aimed"
anywhere.

They appear brighter than most car lights. And they are focussed just like headlights on a car.

--
Money can't buy you true love.
It does however put you in a good bargaining position.
Old November 24th 14, 01:17 AM posted to uk.rec.driving,uk.legal,uk.rec.cycling
nightjar

On 23/11/2014 23:46, Alex Heney wrote:
On unlit rural roads,. they aren't going to provide suitable light for
the cyclist to see by either, so any sane cyclist *will* also have a
steady light if they are going to be riding on such roads.

We must have a lot of insane cyclists around here then.

--
Colin Bignell
Old November 24th 14, 08:26 AM posted to uk.rec.driving,uk.legal,uk.rec.cycling
Bod[_5_]

On 23/11/2014 22:59, Uncle Peter wrote:
On Sun, 23 Nov 2014 21:29:01 -0000, Alex Heney wrote:

On Sat, 22 Nov 2014 21:19:52 -0000, "Uncle Peter" wrote:

On Sat, 22 Nov 2014 21:13:56 -0000, Alex Heney wrote:

On Sat, 22 Nov 2014 20:38:01 -0000, "Uncle Peter" wrote:

On Sat, 22 Nov 2014 20:22:49 -0000, Tosspot
wrote:

On 22/11/14 21:13, John wrote:
"Uncle Peter" wrote

I always thought flashing lights on bikes were illegal, yet the
rear ones
have flashed for some time now and I don't know of anyone being
done for
it. But now the FRONT ones flash too(which is very distracting
for someone
coming the other way). Are these actually allowed? Every time
I see one,
I repeatedly flash my car's lights to return the favour. They
don't like
that one bit.

The law requires steady lights front (white) and rear (red), but
as cyclists
without lights rarely get prosecuted I doubt anyone will worry
too much
about them flashing.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2...ulation/6/made

That's the amendment, but without the original I can't see if it's
allowing or forbidding the blasted things.

It is allowing.

Previously it only allowed steady lights, now it also allows flashing
ones.

Both front and rear.

As is made clear by the explanatory note:
===============================
Regulation 6 amends regulation 13 of the 1989 Regulations so as to
permit pedal cycles or trailers drawn by, or a sidecar attached to, a
pedal cycle to be fitted with front and rear position lamps which
flash. In the case of lamps which must be fitted pursuant to
regulation 18, lamps must, when flashing, produce a light with an
intensity of not less than 4 candelas.
===============================

If I flash my lights, it means "danger", or "you go first".

And the fact that the other driver can have no idea which you mean in
many situations is precisely the reason the highway code advises
against doing it, except in the first case.

Context. If he's waiting to come out of a side road, or indicating to
change lane on a motorway, then I flash my lights to mean on you go. If
he's going the opposite direction, it means "danger, speed trap ahead".

So if a bike does it, he's asking for a car to pull out of a side
road in front of him.

You are talking complete and utter ******** and you know it. A
steadily flashing light is not remotely similar to somebody briefly
flashing main beam from dipped lights.

It's precisely the same until you've seen three flashes.

I hope it happens and kills a few, then maybe they'll stop this
nonsense.

It won't happen unless some idiot like you dopes it deliberately. And
if you actually do so, I hope you get put away for it.

The bike dazzled me, he'd get put away. You are not supposed to dazzle
or distract other drivers. If you drove your car along with your lights
flashing continuously, you'd soon get pulled over. What the **** makes
cyclists think they're any different? Their flashing lights are just as
annoying as if a car was doing it.

This dazzling phenomenon seems to happen only to *you*.
Old November 24th 14, 08:53 AM posted to uk.rec.driving,uk.legal,uk.rec.cycling
MrCheerful

wrote:

On 22/11/14 21:13, John wrote:
[...]

A small number of cyclists have intensely bright LED lamps front lamps
that do not have a well 'focussed' beam that projects down, they just go
in all directions. LED lamp 'colour' frequency is irritating to the
human eye, and you should not point led lamps at your eyes. So it is
quite likely that some people are more sensitive to this than others, I
find the badly adjusted ultra bright ones to be very uncomfortable and
their glare blanks or reduces what else you can see ahead.
Old November 24th 14, 09:10 AM posted to uk.rec.driving,uk.legal,uk.rec.cycling
Bod[_5_]

wrote:

On 22/11/14 21:13, John wrote:
[...]

The odd cyclist, maybe, but then you get the odd car/van or lorry with
poorly adjusted headlights that dazzle. In my experience, the small
average twinkling cyclists lights causes no problem at all, IMO.
Old November 24th 14, 11:38 AM posted to uk.rec.driving,uk.legal,uk.rec.cycling
Iain[_2_]

Alex Heney wrote:

there are times when your trolling is just too obvious.

.... and you seem to be picking up the bait ;-)

--
Iain

Old November 24th 14, 12:43 PM posted to uk.rec.driving,uk.legal,uk.rec.cycling
Nick[_4_]

On 24/11/2014 09:10, Bod wrote:

A small number of cyclists have intensely bright LED lamps front lamps
that do not have a well 'focussed' beam that projects down, they just go
in all directions. LED lamp 'colour' frequency is irritating to the
human eye, and you should not point led lamps at your eyes. So it is
quite likely that some people are more sensitive to this than others, I
find the badly adjusted ultra bright ones to be very uncomfortable and
their glare blanks or reduces what else you can see ahead.

The odd cyclist, maybe, but then you get the odd car/van or lorry with
poorly adjusted headlights that dazzle. In my experience, the small
average twinkling cyclists lights causes no problem at all, IMO.

I have had one London taxi driver complain about my lights and others
have commented that they are bright. This is just 2 times a £20 front an
back flashing set, smart lunar 35.

Bike lights are brighter now. I think the trick for drivers is not to
stare directly at them. It works for car headlamps.

Old November 24th 14, 01:21 PM posted to uk.rec.driving,uk.legal,uk.rec.cycling
Bod[_5_]

On 24/11/2014 12:43, Nick wrote:
On 24/11/2014 09:10, Bod wrote:

[...]

Indeed.

Flashing lights revisited Mike Causer UK 28 October 28th 06 07:56 PM
Flashing lights Steve Hodgson UK 40 November 3rd 05 11:33 PM
Flashing Lights Now Legal [email protected] UK 6 September 19th 05 07:28 PM
Batteryless bike flashing lights, new bicycle generator [email protected] Techniques 3 August 23rd 05 12:11 AM
Batteryless bicycle flashing lights, new kind of bicycle dynamo. [email protected] General 2 August 9th 05 02:44 PM