Disk brakes? Hot!

Old May 4th 04, 04:38 AM
ain

Default Disk brakes? Hot!

Hello everyone.

Kinda new here, been reading the newsgroup for about a week or two.

Just bought a new Specialized crossroads bike with disk brakes. I was riding
down a hill earlier tonight, It was pretty steep grade so I had the brakes
on all the way down, about a full minute give or take.

I was wondering if the disk brakes got warm after having them on for so long
so after I got down to the bottom of the hill I did a stupid thing. I
stopped, got off the bike, and touched the disk. I almost burned the skin
off my fingers, they were like 400 degrees.

Is there any warning I missed about not touching the disks? Is there a limit
to how long I can brake? Will long braking sessions cause damage to the
disks or brake pads?

Thanks in advance.

Old May 4th 04, 04:59 AM
MD

Nice Jerry, that's what you should tell the kid. Yeesh :-)

They get hot and long braking won't hurt them, they won't fade very much in
my experiences. Some will, but the good ones should not. They get hot!!!
Some moreso than others, I have Hayes and Shimano and my Hayes heat up
easily compared to the Shimano's. The best part is riding in the rain and
then listening to the raindrops hitting your disc after a long decent, ahhh,
biking. It's been a long winter I can't wait....

.....begging for some trail action

Sherman

m...

Old May 4th 04, 05:02 AM
G.T.

Jerry Bone Jr wrote:
They only get hot the first couple of times. Try again in a few days.

Can't wait to see his post in a few days.

Greg

Old May 4th 04, 05:07 AM
Slacker

ain wrote:
Hello everyone.

Kinda new here, been reading the newsgroup for about a week or two.

Just bought a new Specialized crossroads bike with disk brakes. I was riding
down a hill earlier tonight, It was pretty steep grade so I had the brakes
on all the way down, about a full minute give or take.

I was wondering if the disk brakes got warm after having them on for so long
so after I got down to the bottom of the hill I did a stupid thing. I
stopped, got off the bike, and touched the disk. I almost burned the skin
off my fingers, they were like 400 degrees.

Is there any warning I missed about not touching the disks?

Yeah, it's right next to *that* other warning sticker about not storing
double edged razor blades in your underwear.
--
Slacker
Old May 4th 04, 06:12 AM
hcarlh

[...]

Oh.......you've done that too?

I learned quickly never to do that again.

Old May 4th 04, 11:50 AM
Zilla

ain wrote:
Hello everyone.

Kinda new here, been reading the newsgroup for about a week or two.

Just bought a new Specialized crossroads bike with disk brakes. I was
riding down a hill earlier tonight, It was pretty steep grade so I
had the brakes on all the way down, about a full minute give or take.

I was wondering if the disk brakes got warm after having them on for
so long so after I got down to the bottom of the hill I did a stupid
thing. I stopped, got off the bike, and touched the disk. I almost
burned the skin off my fingers, they were like 400 degrees.

Is there any warning I missed about not touching the disks? Is there
a limit to how long I can brake? Will long braking sessions cause
damage to the disks or brake pads?

Thanks in advance.

It's called friction! Rub your hands together and tell
me if they don't get warm. Same principle.

--
- Zilla
Cary, NC

Old May 4th 04, 01:25 PM
Pistof

"ain" wrote in message news:MeElc.360828$oR5.46456@pd7tw3no...
Hello everyone.

Kinda new here, been reading the newsgroup for about a week or two.

Just bought a new Specialized crossroads bike with disk brakes. I was

riding
down a hill earlier tonight, It was pretty steep grade so I had the brakes
on all the way down, about a full minute give or take.

I was wondering if the disk brakes got warm after having them on for so

long
so after I got down to the bottom of the hill I did a stupid thing. I
stopped, got off the bike, and touched the disk. I almost burned the skin
off my fingers, they were like 400 degrees.

Running w/ scissors is dumb, too.

Dave

Old May 4th 04, 02:58 PM
T-V

ain wrote:
Is there any warning I missed about not touching the disks?

Sue the makers for 300 gazillion bucks!!!!

(That is when you're american. The rest of the world wouldn't be THAT
dumb. )

Old May 4th 04, 03:19 PM
Michael Paul

"ain" wrote in message news:MeElc.360828$oR5.46456@pd7tw3no...
Hello everyone.

Is there any warning I missed about not touching the disks?

the warning is kind of inclusive under the main heading in the book of life
called "common sense"

Michael

Which cuttable hose for old Shimano XT disk brakes? PETER THOMPSON General 1 February 1st 04 06:03 AM
Disk Brakes john Mountain Biking 4 January 22nd 04 02:44 AM
Mechanical Disc Brakes John Appleby Mountain Biking 8 September 25th 03 12:45 AM
Disc Brakes... TJ Mountain Biking 27 July 11th 03 01:29 PM
What to replace Novatech cable disk brakes with? Paul Gravestock Mountain Biking 0 June 26th 03 12:25 AM