Hull bus lane plans: 'Money making scam' or vital for a 'greener,safer city'?

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old July 4th 20, 07:28 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason[_6_]

Default Hull bus lane plans: 'Money making scam' or vital for a 'greener,safer city'?

Bleating drivers who never even used the inside lane when it was available.
QUOTE:
The people of Hull have had their say after regulations preventing cars in Hull from driving in bus lanes have been extended to cover the whole working day.

Hull City Council said the move has been made to enforce the rules from 7am to 6.30pm in order to make cyclists feel safer on the road.

The move, which will be enforced from Monday, July 13, comes as part of the council’s plans to overhaul its cycling infrastructure and encourage more people to choose an active form of travel.

More than 900 Hull Live readers commented on Hull Live's story.

(MY RECORD WAS 1200 COMMENTS FOR MY CAMERA GLASSES STORY)

The mood was very mixed, with many frustrated at the implications of the changes. Here are just some of the comments:

"I'm a cyclist of many years dedicated cycle lanes are required here," posted pool57.

"The fact that cyclist are expected to share a lane with buses not to mention taxis is ridiculous. I for one wouldn't feel at all safe.

"Can't believe someone has actually come up with this idea or maybe I can, it is HCC after all."
'A definite help'

Suttonparker posted: "Bus lanes are a definite help to the cyclist and should be considered a help for cycling, especially those maybe not so confident as us serious daily commuter types.

"As a motorist too I've often winced when I've seen cyclists struggling during the daytime, any measures put in place to help cycle safety are warmly welcomed by us cyclists.

"Remember most cyclists have families worried sick every time we mount up."
'Bad planning here'

"Beverley Road bus lane is vital to the ease of flow traffic when you can use it," said Joshua Matheson-Bell.

"Closing this off permanently will cause higher traffic jams. Bad planning here".
'More pollution, more potential hazards'

Emma Leary posted: "Instead of putting in decent cycle lanes for safety, or doing something to tackle the already terrible traffic all over hull, they come up with a ‘solution’ to cause more pollution, more potential accidents being nose and tail in a jam!

"This is going to make the traffic situation a lot worse!"

'I want to be safe from cyclists'

"Why not also take action against the illegal riding of cycles on pavements to encourage cyclists to use the bus lanes?" asked Paul James.

"As a motorist, I don't object to the council's idea. As a pedestrian, I want to be safe from cyclists."
'Money making scam'

"Sounds more like a money making scam," posted LegalDriver, "a whole lane to make cyclist 'feel' safe is ridiculous if they obey Highway Code distancing."
'Greener, safer environment for all'

"Billions are spent maintaining, enhancing, and building roads every single year that this greenhouse gas-suffocated planet circles the Sun," posted Nb3ee.

"Measures like this are simply helping to create a greener, safer environment for all.

"If you don’t like it, how about some constructive answers on how we can do our part to tackle global heating, the obesity and diabetes crisis (we are the fattest country in Western Europe)...

"Remember, constructive suggestions — not just screaming about being persecuted."
'Another nail in the city centre's coffin'

"Another reason to head west out of my house to Anlaby, Hessle and Willerby for my shopping," said Russell Goff. "Well done Hull CC another nail in the city centre's coffin."

'Not all bikers are bad'

Mark Smith said: "Good. Also make the bike lanes bigger. And learn drivers to stop been within them. (SIC)

"I prefer the road with no obstacles apart from traffic lights.

"But I also will ride on the path when I feel the road ain't safe. Same as bike paths on pavements people like to walk In them forcing you to go on the grass or on the footpath part.

"Not all bikers are bad we just ain't risking our life's to make others happy."

Signs will go up across the city on all bus lanes from Monday, July 6, to remind motorists of these upcoming changes.

The measures are temporary under an experimental traffic regulation order and will not be made permanent until a consultation has taken place.

The public can submit their comments about these changes to .

https://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/news...r-city-4292321