{VIC} Teacher dies after road crash

Old May 5th 06, 03:54 PM posted to aus.bicycle

Default {VIC} Teacher dies after road crash

Teacher dies after road crash
http://www.abc.net.au/news/items/200605/1631649.htm
Friday, 5 May 2006.

A Bendigo secondary school teacher has died in hospital, a week after
being badly injured in a road crash.

Tim Ledwidge had been in a critical condition in the Alfred Hospital in
Melbourne, after his bicycle and a car collided in Eaglehawk last
Friday.

Mr Ledwidge had been a teacher at Catholic College, Bendigo, for 17
years.

The principal, Darren McGregor, says he was popular with students and
will be sadly missed.

"We have about eight or nine councillors at the school today, one of
the beautiful things that has come out of this in our community is this
morning at Koolong, which is years 10 to 12, the relationship between
our year 12 students and our staff, they're so close that they are
actually mingling and supporting each other," he said.

--
cfsmtb

Old May 6th 06, 01:48 AM posted to aus.bicycle

cfsmtb wrote:

Teacher dies after road crash
http://www.abc.net.au/news/items/200605/1631649.htm
Friday, 5 May 2006.

A Bendigo secondary school teacher has died in hospital, a week after
being badly injured in a road crash.

Tim Ledwidge had been in a critical condition in the Alfred Hospital in
Melbourne, after his bicycle and a car collided in Eaglehawk last
Friday.

Not to intervene on the scope of the DPP, Police, Coronial Inquest
system or Mr Ledwidge's mourners; but could political pressure get
coronial inquests or hearings into the constant bike on car road deaths
and thus exercise more leverage over legislature?

Bike activism has used direct action (very well), lobbying consultation
and cooperation (very well). With the exception of the South
Australian events, which are somewhat unique, we haven't made good use
of the courts / coronial inquest system.

Does anyone have enough law to know how to exert pressure to get
inquests?

yours sadly,
Sam R.

Old May 6th 06, 12:34 PM posted to aus.bicycle

Wrote:
cfsmtb wrote:

[...]

Very valid point Sam...

generally to intervene requires "sufficient interest", that is usually
determined by the Coroner within his discretion, external bodies often
have difficulty, requires an aspect of wider public good and general
community benefit over-riding the interests the deceased, or more
importantly in the eyes and mind of the Coroner, getting to the true
causal facts regarding the deceased's death and whether charges would
follow..

s 45 Coroners Act 1985 (VIC) Relates to "interested parties"

peak cycling bodies may in some circumstances have such a right to seek
to establish "sufficient interest"... guess in the abscence of a
legislative pro-active right, it will all depend on the case, the
profile of the incident and any "justice" considerations having a
bearing on public policy and its consequences...

eg: 1) death in ATB, BV would have "sufficient interest"as an organiser
2) hit run death of Cyclist in say Shepparton, a community group like
the YarraBUG would have difficulty establishing "sufficient interest"
and may have an order for costs against it for the extra time to
determine the issue.

I guess in short...answer ...we wont hold our breath(s)...but certainly
a point to bear in mind for future advocacy and ongoing alertness to
situations and tragedies on the road....

--
rooman

Old May 9th 06, 12:34 AM posted to aus.bicycle

cfsmtb wrote:

[...]

Lovely way of putting it. Chances are, seeing as he's dead, it wasn't
just his bicycle that crashed with the car.

Stay safe everyone. I hate hearing this sh!t.

Tam
Old May 12th 06, 09:48 AM posted to aus.bicycle

"Tamyka Bell" wrote:

"... after his bicycle and a car collided..."

Lovely way of putting it. Chances are, seeing as he's dead, it wasn't
just his bicycle that crashed with the car.

Simple statement of fact. The newspapers have to take this sterile approach,
anything else would be likely to apportion blame - yet to be decided by
Police and the courts - and leaves the paper open to defamation claims or
complaints to the press council.

Eg. "after the cyclist collided with the car" or "after the motorist ran the
cyclist off the road". Which is impartial?

--
Cheers
Peter

~~~ ~ _@
~~ ~ _- \,
~~ (*)/ (*)

Old May 12th 06, 01:02 PM posted to aus.bicycle

On 2006-05-12, Peter Signorini (aka Bruce)
Simple statement of fact. The newspapers have to take this sterile approach,
anything else would be likely to apportion blame - yet to be decided by
Police and the courts - and leaves the paper open to defamation claims or
complaints to the press council.

Eg. "after the cyclist collided with the car" or "after the motorist ran the
cyclist off the road". Which is impartial?

I dunno. Something as simple as "after the car collided with the
cyclist" would work for me...

--
TimC
"Consider a spherical bear, in simple harmonic motion..."
Old May 15th 06, 03:24 AM posted to aus.bicycle

On 2006-05-12, Peter Signorini (aka Bruce)
Simple statement of fact. The newspapers have to take this sterile approach,
anything else would be likely to apportion blame - yet to be decided by
Police and the courts - and leaves the paper open to defamation claims or
complaints to the press council.

Eg. "after the cyclist collided with the car" or "after the motorist ran the
cyclist off the road". Which is impartial?

I dunno. Something as simple as "after the car collided with the
cyclist" would work for me...

Or "after the cyclist and the car collided" - it doesn't change much,
but it highlights that it's a person that the car has hit, not just a
vehicle. As you would say "after the pedestrian and the car collided"

Tam