Ohio community's radar sign warns speedy cyclists

Old August 27th 09, 05:58 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech
Garrison Hilliard

Default Ohio community's radar sign warns speedy cyclists

BEACHWOOD, Ohio (AP) - Police in a Cleveland suburb are using radar to fight
speeding on bicycles.

People who walk the paths in Beachwood City Park have been complaining about
bicyclists who fly by, Lance Armstrong-style, so police have posted a radar sign
to show bikers how fast they're going. It's similar to the digitized signs that
warn motorists about their speeds through construction zones.

The sign typically catches riders going more than 10 mph, the city's speed limit
for bicycles in the park.

Police don't give out speeding tickets to bicyclists but do warn them to slow it
down.

Some riders say the radar sign may encourage more speeding, because bikers who
want to race now have a way to see their top speeds.

---

Information from: The Plain Dealer, http://www.cleveland.com

http://www.local12.com/news/state/st...lAumwzNWg.cspx
Old August 27th 09, 06:50 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech
Bill Baka

Garrison Hilliard wrote:
[...]

Right.
Put some facial recognition software and snap a picture of anyone doing
over 10 MPH and watch them laugh when the ticket comes in the mail.
I ride people trails/paths at about 6 MPH down to my balance limit of
about 3 MPH and the people walking are totally friendly with me at that
speed. I was riding a trail when some guy blasted past me at about 20
MPH and I decided to chase him down and chew him out but he got away by
diving down a forgotten paved off ramp I had not used for years. I can
hit about 25-27 MPH on the mountain bike but not for a long time.
Cadence and 60 years catch up to me but the adrenaline works long enough
to catch all but the fastest.
I had been stopped and looking at some power grid stuff and he just
****ed me off since he is the kind that would get bikes banned.

Bill Baka
Old August 27th 09, 02:18 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech
N8N

On Aug 27, 12:58*am, Garrison Hilliard wrote:
BEACHWOOD, Ohio (AP) - Police in a Cleveland suburb are using radar to fight
speeding on bicycles.

People who walk the paths in Beachwood City Park have been complaining about
bicyclists who fly by, Lance Armstrong-style, so police have posted a radar sign
to show bikers how fast they're going. It's similar to the digitized signs that
warn motorists about their speeds through construction zones.

The sign typically catches riders going more than 10 mph, the city's speed limit
for bicycles in the park.

Police don't give out speeding tickets to bicyclists but do warn them to slow it
down.

Some riders say the radar sign may encourage more speeding, because bikers who
want to race now have a way to see their top speeds.

10 MPH....? Is this some kind of ultra-narrow MUP or something?

Heh, just like driving on highways around here, I'd *have* to have a
speedometer on my bike to make sure I was riding slowly enough for the
local gendarmes...

nate
Old August 27th 09, 03:35 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech
Fester Bestertester

On Thu, 27 Aug 2009 06:18:06 -0700, N8N wrote
(in article
):

I'd *have* to have a speedometer on my bike...

That's probably why they aren't handing out tickets: without requiring
speedo's, the law cannot effect speed limits.

Won't hold up in a court.

Possibly "reckless driving" (or riding?) might, or "endangering
pedestrians"...

Old August 27th 09, 04:07 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech
John Everett[_2_]

On Thu, 27 Aug 2009 04:58:19 +0000, Garrison Hilliard
wrote:

Some riders say the radar sign may encourage more speeding, because bikers who
want to race now have a way to see their top speeds.

I know what I've always done whenever I've encountered one of these on
the road. ;-)

--
jeverett3ATsbcglobalDOTnet (John V. Everett)
Old August 27th 09, 04:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

On Aug 27, 12:58*am, Garrison Hilliard wrote:
BEACHWOOD, Ohio (AP) - Police in a Cleveland suburb are using radar to fight
speeding on bicycles.

People who walk the paths in Beachwood City Park have been complaining about
bicyclists who fly by, Lance Armstrong-style, so police have posted a radar sign
to show bikers how fast they're going. It's similar to the digitized signs that
warn motorists about their speeds through construction zones.

The sign typically catches riders going more than 10 mph, the city's speed limit
for bicycles in the park.

People should think about this before they lobby in favor of a "bike
path."

BTW, does this speed limit apply only to bicyclists? Would they
hassle a runner? 10 mph's a six minute mile, and good runners can do
that pace for quite a while. Even a casual jogger can exceed that at
least in a short sprint. And exceeding 10 mph is no problem for a
roller blader, who does it with no effective brakes.

- Frank Krygowski
Old August 27th 09, 06:48 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

RonSonic wrote:
On Thu, 27 Aug 2009 07:35:50 -0700, Fester Bestertester wrote:

On Thu, 27 Aug 2009 06:18:06 -0700, N8N wrote
(in article
):

I'd *have* to have a speedometer on my bike...

That's probably why they aren't handing out tickets: without requiring
speedo's, the law cannot effect speed limits.

Won't hold up in a court.

Why? You don't have a breathalyzer in your car, but they'll pull you for driving
drunk. And the ticket will state your measured BAC.

Possibly "reckless driving" (or riding?) might, or "endangering
pedestrians"...

In my town there are MUPs for fast riding and there are MUPs for families
walking the dog. They all have the same signage and published rules, but
practice is policy and when in Rome and all that. I ride according to the
circumstances and local custom. The people I see who don't are usually pretty
obviously tri-dorks.

I rode a new 'bicycle path' once in 1972 and nearly crashed
where its cute radii passed between oaks. I rode one again
in 1999 (at insistence of companion) and scared the crap out
of a mother with baby carriage after cresting a rise. Twice
on 'bike paths' was plenty for one lifetime. I'll ride
streets, thanks, as I have at least a fighting chance with
the buses, wrong-way bicycles, drunks and text-addled
minivan pilots. 'name your poison', i.e., YMMV
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Old August 27th 09, 07:38 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech
Bill Baka

Frank Krygowski wrote:
[...]

For what it's worth, I can still hit 15 MPH on a short sprint of 50 to
100 yards at 60. Jogger? Not me, I just break into a run at random while
walking and not riding. I've been trying to teach my 8 year old grandson
to run on the balls of his feet and not his heels like a jogger but he
is hopeless. That's why I don't 'Jog', since they almost all run landing
on their heels and then bitch about shin splints. Bicycling has given me
a good perspective on having good calve muscles. Even any sane runner
will slow down on a blind spot since it is easier for a runner to change
speeds than a cyclist.

Bill Baka
Old August 27th 09, 08:46 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech
Big Jim

The problem with trails/paths is that they make rules and signage too
confusing. The signs should simply say "All trail users keep right".
Nothings worse than riding along and having idiots walking side by
side or runners going on the wrong side..

On Aug 27, 1:50*am, Bill Baka wrote:
Put some facial recognition software and snap a picture of anyone doing

over 10 MPH and watch them laugh when the ticket comes in the mail.
I ride people trails/paths at about 6 MPH down to my balance limit of
about 3 MPH and the people walking are totally friendly with me at that
speed. I was riding a trail when some guy blasted past me at about 20
MPH and I decided to chase him down and chew him out but he got away by
diving down a forgotten paved off ramp I had not used for years. I can
hit about 25-27 MPH on the mountain bike but not for a long time.
Cadence and 60 years catch up to me but the adrenaline works long enough
to catch all but the fastest.
I had been stopped and looking at some power grid stuff and he just
****ed me off since he is the kind that would get bikes banned.

Bill Baka- Hide quoted text -

Old August 27th 09, 11:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech
Bill Baka

Big Jim wrote:
The problem with trails/paths is that they make rules and signage too
confusing. The signs should simply say "All trail users keep right".
Nothings worse than riding along and having idiots walking side by
side or runners going on the wrong side..

This guy must have thought he was Iron man material or something since
the off ramp he ditched me at I stopped using after almost eating a
truck at 25 MPH. He just went around at about that speed, having picked
up about 5 MPH on the down ramp. I may be reading his obituary soon the
way he was riding, and no helmet either. Me, I stop and smell the roses
when I ride. It isn't *ALL* about the speed.

Bill Baka

Cyclists Dismount Sign AndyC UK 473 December 7th 08 10:07 PM
B-sign (Not V-Sign) - The bikers blessing Peter Fox[_2_] UK 6 January 20th 08 09:07 AM
Bordry warns of synthetic doping products ! Keith Racing 1 May 13th 07 01:10 PM
"Armstrong warns rivals he will be ready for Tour" Keith Racing 12 June 10th 05 05:59 PM