Camelbak reservoir stored in freezer - question.

Old February 22nd 05, 07:27 PM
Paul Rose

Default Camelbak reservoir stored in freezer - question.

Hi All

Having just bought a camelbak I understand its a good idea, once cleaned, to
store the reservoir in the freezer until needed. Apparently this prevents
any nasties growing in it!

A question for anybody out there who stores theirs in the freezer - do you
store all the 'bits' in the freezer too? By 'bits' I mean the tubing, mouth
piece and valve, screw cap and the white rubber (?) washer/seal that fits
around it.

I was wondering if any of the above, apart from the reservoir, would become
brittle or damaged?

Thanks,

Regards, Paul - with a clean and sterilised camelbak waiting to decide
whether to put the lot in the freezer ;o)
My Lake District walking site:
www.lakelandwalker.co.uk

Old February 22nd 05, 07:51 PM
R.D

Hi
I have stored my two in the freezer (all parts) over the last year. Have had
no problems at all. This method sure beats all that drying out of the
system.

RD

Old February 22nd 05, 08:48 PM
Paul Rose

"R.D" wrote in message
Hi
I have stored my two in the freezer (all parts) over the last year. Have

had
no problems at all. This method sure beats all that drying out of the
system.

RD

Thanks for your reply. That settles it then. The whole lot is going in the
freezer! As for the drying out, I still done that before packing it all into
a poly bag prior to popping it into the freezer. Never thought about not
actually bothering to dry it out.

--
Regards, Paul (R)

Old February 23rd 05, 09:51 AM
wheeler

R.D wrote:
Hi
I have stored my two in the freezer (all parts) over the last year.
Have had no problems at all. This method sure beats all that drying
out of the system.

Seconded! I just rinse the whole lot out then stuff it in the freezer until
next use, no problems for several years. Is it a 'Camelbak' though? I have
heard some suggestion that other makes using different materials might be
more prone to freezer damage - but no evidence...

Old February 23rd 05, 02:14 PM
Michael Murray

"Paul Rose" wrote in message ...
"R.D" wrote in message
Hi
I have stored my two in the freezer (all parts) over the last year. Have

had
no problems at all. This method sure beats all that drying out of the
system.

RD

Thanks for your reply. That settles it then. The whole lot is going in the
freezer! As for the drying out, I still done that before packing it all into
a poly bag prior to popping it into the freezer. Never thought about not
actually bothering to dry it out.

Indeed a Cunning Plan, and one I had not heard of.

I hang mine in the airing cupboard, with a kitchen roll insert stuck
in the reservoir, and the cap off...

Unfortunately, I can't use your plan as I have a small freezer, and a
wife.

M.
Old February 23rd 05, 02:17 PM
druidh

Michael Murray wrote:
"Paul Rose" wrote in message ...

"R.D" wrote in message

Hi
I have stored my two in the freezer (all parts) over the last year. Have

had

no problems at all. This method sure beats all that drying out of the
system.

RD

Thanks for your reply. That settles it then. The whole lot is going in the
freezer! As for the drying out, I still done that before packing it all into
a poly bag prior to popping it into the freezer. Never thought about not
actually bothering to dry it out.

Indeed a Cunning Plan, and one I had not heard of.

I hang mine in the airing cupboard, with a kitchen roll insert stuck
in the reservoir, and the cap off...

Unfortunately, I can't use your plan as I have a small freezer, and a
wife.

How much space does she take up?

druidh
Old February 23rd 05, 02:42 PM
Paul Rose

"wheeler" wrote in message
R.D wrote:
Hi
I have stored my two in the freezer (all parts) over the last year.
Have had no problems at all. This method sure beats all that drying
out of the system.

Seconded! I just rinse the whole lot out then stuff it in the freezer

until
next use, no problems for several years. Is it a 'Camelbak' though? I have
heard some suggestion that other makes using different materials might be
more prone to freezer damage - but no evidence...

Mine is the 2005 Camalbak Mule so it should it be alright in the freezer.

--
Regards, Paul (R)

Old February 23rd 05, 02:46 PM
Paul Rose

"Michael Murray" wrote in message
om...
"Paul Rose" wrote in message

"R.D" wrote in message
[...]

Yes, it is a good idea. The guy in my LBS told me about it when I bought my
Camalbak. Storing it in the airing cupboard might be providing the ideal
conditions for breeding nasties i.e. nice and warm and possibly moist if you
are putting damp clothes in there to dry? Mind you, I suppose if you wash it
again before use there shouldn't be a problem. Just a thought.

--
Regards, Paul (R)

Old February 24th 05, 02:09 PM
Michael Murray

"Paul Rose" wrote in message ...
"wheeler" wrote in message
R.D wrote:
Hi
I have stored my two in the freezer (all parts) over the last year.
Have had no problems at all. This method sure beats all that drying
out of the system.

Seconded! I just rinse the whole lot out then stuff it in the freezer

until
next use, no problems for several years. Is it a 'Camelbak' though? I have
heard some suggestion that other makes using different materials might be
more prone to freezer damage - but no evidence...

Mine is the 2005 Camalbak Mule so it should it be alright in the freezer.

Paul,
I also have the Mule (2003/4?) and love it. Well designed, and perfect
size for cycling.

Just for clarity - my wife insists on putting food in the freezer! -
being recently married, I still find some of her habits quite odd. (No
mountain bike cleaning in the bath?)

Storing Reservoir in the airing cupboard - I give it a good rinse,
Fill the reservoir, put the cap on, and 'flush' the tubing by
squeezing the bladder. Have never had a problem with nasties.

ymmv,
m.
Old February 25th 05, 12:53 PM
Paul Rose

"Paul Rose" wrote in message

"wheeler" wrote in message

Paul,
I also have the Mule (2003/4?) and love it. Well designed, and perfect
size for cycling.

Just for clarity - my wife insists on putting food in the freezer! -
being recently married, I still find some of her habits quite odd. (No
mountain bike cleaning in the bath?)

Storing Reservoir in the airing cupboard - I give it a good rinse,
Fill the reservoir, put the cap on, and 'flush' the tubing by
squeezing the bladder. Have never had a problem with nasties.

Yes, they are a decent size. I wanted something a little bigger (ohh
missus!) to store a few extras on longer days out but its not too big (ohh
missus again!) so as to be a nuisance.

Why don't you remove the fish fingers from the box, put your camalback in it
and pop the box back in the freezer? Only remember when the wife asks if you
want fish fingers for tea to say NO!

--
Regards, Paul (R)