Sorry to talk about the weather but....

Old April 9th 07, 08:49 AM posted to aus.bicycle
byron27[_36_]

Default Sorry to talk about the weather but....

i could almost not miss the Perth weather if it is going to stay like
this.

In fact i can only tell the difference at the moment because im not
getting physically threatened every second day im on the bike.

Yeah i know though, not good for the watery bits but the worse it is
the more it secures the employment of my profession for the next 50
years.

--
byron27

Old April 9th 07, 11:55 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Boostland

"byron27" wrote in message

i could almost not miss the Perth weather if it is going to stay like
this.

In fact i can only tell the difference at the moment because im not
getting physically threatened every second day im on the bike.

Yeah i know though, not good for the watery bits but the worse it is
the more it secures the employment of my profession for the next 50
years.

--
byron27

I am in Newcastle and we have had rain every day over easter, but I have
managed to get a bicycle race in every day.
Some how each day the rain would stop and allow us to race and start just
after we finished, so we would get soaked on the way home if not on the way
there :S

Friday morning it was a A grade Crit, Saturday was a 25km team time trial,
Sunday A grade 58 km veterans scratch race and today was a 50 km
invitational at my club.

Best result over the four days racing was 2nd in the TTT, I did not finish
the crit or the Vets race due to a puncture of the heart device :P

After the race today my legs were feeling a little heavy for the ride up
over the water shed hills that seperate the Hunter river from Lake Maquarie.

Old April 9th 07, 10:57 PM posted to aus.bicycle
LotteBum[_41_]

byron27 Wrote:
Yeah i know though, not good for the watery bits but the worse it is the
more it secures the employment of my profession for the next 50
years.

That's an optimistic view we share :-) Some people have no idea how
much energy goes into treating water to drinking standards... maybe
it's a good wake-up call.

Lotte

--
LotteBum

Old April 10th 07, 12:54 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Bleve

On Apr 10, 7:57 am, LotteBum LotteBum.2os...@no-
mx.forums.cyclingforums.com wrote:
byron27 Wrote: Yeah i know though, not good for the watery bits but the worse it is the
more it secures the employment of my profession for the next 50
years.

That's an optimistic view we share :-) Some people have no idea how
much energy goes into treating water to drinking standards... maybe
it's a good wake-up call.

Looks like we might get desal in Vic, I wonder how much that'll
contribute to longterm problems? The energy to evaporate the water
has to come from somewhere, and I'll bet it won't be solar.

Old April 10th 07, 02:03 AM posted to aus.bicycle
DavidM

"Bleve" wrote in message
oups.com...

Looks like we might get desal in Vic, I wonder how much that'll
contribute to longterm problems? The energy to evaporate the water
has to come from somewhere, and I'll bet it won't be solar.

Why evaporation? Would you not use reverse osmosis? Though there is still
energy involved...

Cheers
David M

Old April 10th 07, 02:25 AM posted to aus.bicycle
byron27[_37_]

LotteBum Wrote:
That's an optimistic view we share :-) Some people have no idea how much
energy goes into treating water to drinking standards... maybe it's a
good wake-up call.

Lotte

You know the old thing Lotte, until people see it with their own
eyes....

Now if only one of the those watery people would give me a job!!!!

--
byron27

Old April 10th 07, 02:37 AM posted to aus.bicycle
byron27[_38_]

Bleve Wrote:
On Apr 10, 7:57 am, LotteBum LotteBum.2os...@no-
mx.forums.cyclingforums.com wrote:
byron27 Wrote: Yeah i know though, not good for the watery bits but

the worse it is the
more it secures the employment of my profession for the next 50
years.

That's an optimistic view we share :-) Some people have no idea how
much energy goes into treating water to drinking standards... maybe
it's a good wake-up call.

Looks like we might get desal in Vic, I wonder how much that'll
contribute to longterm problems? The energy to evaporate the water
has to come from somewhere, and I'll bet it won't be solar.

Personally, i believe the answer lies primarily in economic solutions
with some assistance from technical solutions. No friggin desals
though. That is just what engineering consutancies tell the govt is
best and they listen. Short term political response to long term big
trouble problem.

When people are forced to pay the true value of providing potable water
i believe users of large amounts of water will think twice (yes, Ms
Fussy Potts of Kew im talking about you, and you Mobil Oil) about
pi.ssing it away. Get the old incremental system in place and slam
those who use large amounts.

Plus, no more swimming champs will save a bit as well.

--
byron27

Old April 10th 07, 05:32 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Terryc

DavidM wrote:
"Bleve" wrote in message
oups.com...

Looks like we might get desal in Vic, I wonder how much that'll
contribute to longterm problems? The energy to evaporate the water
has to come from somewhere, and I'll bet it won't be solar.

Why evaporation? Would you not use reverse osmosis? Though there is still
energy involved...

Well, if they want a capital upfront cost, they could just roof in ll
those salty groundwater evaporation areas.

however, having seen what some winds can do to the sheeting on silos,
etc, I wouldn't want to be around them in a storm. Imagine 100' of
roofing being blown around in the wind.
Old April 10th 07, 06:03 AM posted to aus.bicycle
byron27[_39_]

Gumby Wrote:
byron27 wrote:
i could almost not miss the Perth weather if it is going to stay like
this.

In fact i can only tell the difference at the moment because im not
getting physically threatened every second day im on the bike.

Yeah i know though, not good for the watery bits but the worse it is
the more it secures the employment of my profession for the next 50
years.

Weather in Perth is doing fine as well. Again though we need the rain.
Come back to Perth Byron, ATTA needs you. shameless plug/ another PB
at bibra lake /shameless plug

Gumby, i do miss the ATTA time trials very much. There is a chapter
over here but it is only starting out and the TT's are few and far
between. Also, i dont have a car and they are miles away. Ah, i am
actually thinking nice things about the Hopelands TT course. Yes, i am
delusional.

I dont know, Beach Rd is ok but it has nothing on a lap of the river
with a coffee to finish up in Freo.

Thanks for the heads up on the bibra lake TT. Ill have to check the
results. Nice to see Travvy Meyer is still ripping it up at the ripe
old age of 18....

--
byron27

Old April 10th 07, 10:53 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Friday

DavidM wrote:
"Bleve" wrote in message
oups.com...

Looks like we might get desal in Vic, I wonder how much that'll
contribute to longterm problems? The energy to evaporate the water
has to come from somewhere, and I'll bet it won't be solar.

Why evaporation? Would you not use reverse osmosis? Though there is still
energy involved...

Cheers
David M

I think it will be RO. They're basically going to copy the Perth plant
but bigger. I couldn't imagine an evaporative one being built.

Friday

Talk about delusional! Bill C Racing 2 June 16th 06 06:18 AM
Talk UK forums [email protected] UK 9 March 27th 06 04:16 PM
Can we talk about fairings? David Recumbent Biking 8 October 6th 04 02:52 AM
Please talk me out of it! Thomas UK 20 January 20th 04 09:55 PM
Ice? Don't talk to me about ice... Steve Rumsby UK 3 January 19th 04 03:50 PM