Fuji Touring vs. Bianchi Volpe

Old September 25th 05, 05:18 PM
bryanska

Default Fuji Touring vs. Bianchi Volpe

Hey there is a 2005 Fuji Touring sitting at my LBS on sale for $700. A
new Volpe is $850.

Next year the prices are going up. MSRP for the 2006 Fuji Touring is
going up to $900, from $750-800.

I am wondering if I should buy the Fuji Touring now. The only reason
I'm not, is because I want the Volpe too. Big difference?

Old September 25th 05, 05:44 PM
Joe Canuck

bryanska wrote:

Hey there is a 2005 Fuji Touring sitting at my LBS on sale for $700. A
new Volpe is $850.

Next year the prices are going up. MSRP for the 2006 Fuji Touring is
going up to $900, from $750-800.

I am wondering if I should buy the Fuji Touring now. The only reason
I'm not, is because I want the Volpe too. Big difference?

If you don't buy the one you want -and- are not completely satisfied
with the one you do buy you will always regret your decision.
Old September 25th 05, 05:54 PM
bryanska

Well, I don't want one tons more than the other. The Bianchi has
somewhat cooler colors and a nice simple decal scheme.

OTOH, the 2006 Fuji comes in a groovy bronze, like an old 70s rig.

But I feel a bit silly paying hundreds more to just get the color I
like.

Old September 25th 05, 05:58 PM
Joe Canuck

bryanska wrote:

Well, I don't want one tons more than the other. The Bianchi has
somewhat cooler colors and a nice simple decal scheme.

OTOH, the 2006 Fuji comes in a groovy bronze, like an old 70s rig.

But I feel a bit silly paying hundreds more to just get the color I
like.

Tell the LBS you will be purchasing one or the other, then give them
both an extended test. Take the one that you like the best and gives you
the best fit.
Old September 25th 05, 06:13 PM
bryanska

Tell the LBS you will be purchasing one or the other, then give them
both an extended test. Take the one that you like the best and gives you
the best fit.

Unfortunately, they're at different shops. The 2005 Fuji is 54cm and
fits pretty good, though I haven't taken it on a long test ride. There
are no Bianchi Volpes in the area in the 52cm size. The 55cm Volpe is
too big for me.

Conundrum.

They have comparable drivetrains, almost exactly the same. The Bianchi
has better wheels, hubs, clipless pedals, a threadless headset, and is
1 lb lighter. The Fuji has a threaded headset, nicer cork wrap,
Fuji-branded wheelset, nicer road tires, a big rear rack included, and
clip/strap pedals.

So the Bianchi's advantages are basically pedals, wheelset, and color.
The 2005 Fuji's advantages are price, better tires and an included
rack. Let me look at the costs overall, to bring both bikes in line
with my needs:

Bianchi costs $850. Add a rack ($40), smoother tires ($40). Total =
$930.

Fuji costs $700. Add cork ($10), pedals ($40). Total = $750.

So I can get this year's Fuji in a questionable color at a bargain,
less than next year's MSRP.

Does this look right to you? Again, I come to the question of glaring
differences. Can you think of any?

Old September 25th 05, 06:15 PM
bryanska

The Fuji has ... nicer cork wrap

Strike that, the Fuji has awful cork wrap. This mistake didn't affect
my cost analysis.

Old September 25th 05, 08:09 PM
maxo

Ohhh, man that bronze is totally retrotastic.

Worth $200 in my opinion!

*drool*

Old September 25th 05, 10:00 PM
Roger Zoul

:
[...]

Tires wear out, so that advantage will be gone after you run though the
stock tires.

: Bianchi costs $850. Add a rack ($40), smoother tires ($40). Total =
: $930.
:
: Fuji costs $700. Add cork ($10), pedals ($40). Total = $750.
:
: So I can get this year's Fuji in a questionable color at a bargain,
: less than next year's MSRP.
:
: Does this look right to you? Again, I come to the question of glaring
: differences. Can you think of any?

I would say that unless you're money constrained, get the one you really
like most. if you ride it, it's better that you enjoy even how it looks,
and if you really like the looks, you'll enjoy the bike better, IMO. If you
plan on leaving the bike the garage to look at, then buy based on price.

Old September 26th 05, 12:53 PM
Pat

:
: I am wondering if I should buy the Fuji Touring now. The only reason
: I'm not, is because I want the Volpe too. Big difference?

I did that once---bought the cheaper bike in a champagne color when I really
wanted the next year's model in a navy blue. Every time I rode the bike I
thought of the one I had really wanted. This was in 1984 and I still have
the bike---but I still look at it and wish I had the other one.

Pat in TX
:

Old September 26th 05, 04:26 PM
rdclark

bryanska wrote:
Hey there is a 2005 Fuji Touring sitting at my LBS on sale for $700. A
new Volpe is $850.

Next year the prices are going up. MSRP for the 2006 Fuji Touring is
going up to $900, from $750-800.

I am wondering if I should buy the Fuji Touring now. The only reason
I'm not, is because I want the Volpe too. Big difference?

The Volpe has lower gearing (48/38/28 chainrings, vs 42/42/30 on the
Fuji). That's a meaningful difference.

The Fuji has longer chainstays (44 vs 42.5cm). That's also a meaningful
difference, particularly for riders using panniers, especially if they
have big feet.

IMO, the Bianchi's spec is generally enough higher to justify its
higher cost.

However, the most important factor is that these two bikes are somewhat
different in geometry, especially between a 53cm Bianchi and a 54cm
Fuji. Choosing one over the other without test rides is a gamble, and I
think the matter of fit is substantially more important than that of of
color or price.

RichC