Reasonable expectation...............

Old September 14th 17, 06:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ian Field

Default Reasonable expectation...............

The bike I built up on a frame I dragged out of a hedge has a seized seat
post.

So far; I've slackened the clamp bolt and give it a squirt of PTFE
penetrating oil at least once a day - is there a reasonable expectation that
it might work loose?

Thanks.

Old September 14th 17, 06:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 9/14/2017 12:32 PM, Ian Field wrote:
The bike I built up on a frame I dragged out of a hedge has
a seized seat post.

So far; I've slackened the clamp bolt and give it a squirt
of PTFE penetrating oil at least once a day - is there a
reasonable expectation that it might work loose?

Thanks.

Yes.
The vibration and cyclic loading of the post can free them.
Not always but well worth a daily shot of penetrant and some
miles. Leave the bolt out and cross your fingers!

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old September 14th 17, 06:46 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2017-09-14 10:32, Ian Field wrote:
The bike I built up on a frame I dragged out of a hedge has a seized
seat post.

So far; I've slackened the clamp bolt and give it a squirt of PTFE
penetrating oil at least once a day - is there a reasonable expectation
that it might work loose?

If it's a steel frame and steel post probably not. If both aluminum,
maybe. Other tricks:

Stand the bike on its head and let penetrating out run from the BB area
down inside the seat tune. Let it sit like this for days. The drain hole
in the BB tube could suffice to get the oil in there without having to
remove the BB (if that ever comes out).

You could also shove some sort of cardboard stopper way down the seat
post but not into the seat tube. Gently heat the seat tube from the
outside but without burning off the paint, feed ice cubes down the seat
post. That could help with an ever so smaller contraction of the seat
post versus the seat tube.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Old September 14th 17, 06:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2017-09-14 10:42, AMuzi wrote:
On 9/14/2017 12:32 PM, Ian Field wrote:
The bike I built up on a frame I dragged out of a hedge has
a seized seat post.

So far; I've slackened the clamp bolt and give it a squirt
of PTFE penetrating oil at least once a day - is there a
reasonable expectation that it might work loose?

Thanks.

Yes.
The vibration and cyclic loading of the post can free them.
Not always but well worth a daily shot of penetrant and some miles.
Leave the bolt out and cross your fingers!

Might sing soprano after it let go all of a sudden :-)

Old September 14th 17, 09:33 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ian Field

On 2017-09-14 10:42, AMuzi wrote:
On 9/14/2017 12:32 PM, Ian Field wrote:
The bike I built up on a frame I dragged out of a hedge has
a seized seat post.

So far; I've slackened the clamp bolt and give it a squirt
of PTFE penetrating oil at least once a day - is there a
reasonable expectation that it might work loose?

Thanks.

Yes.
The vibration and cyclic loading of the post can free them.
Not always but well worth a daily shot of penetrant and some miles.
Leave the bolt out and cross your fingers!

Might sing soprano after it let go all of a sudden :-)

Its seriously stuck, it'll probably need a lot of twisting to shift it at
all once it starts to loosen.

If I still had a welder, I'd weld a lever arm to it so I could apply enough
force.

Old September 15th 17, 02:07 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

On Thu, 14 Sep 2017 21:33:17 +0100, "Ian Field"

On 2017-09-14 10:42, AMuzi wrote:
On 9/14/2017 12:32 PM, Ian Field wrote:
The bike I built up on a frame I dragged out of a hedge has
a seized seat post.

So far; I've slackened the clamp bolt and give it a squirt
of PTFE penetrating oil at least once a day - is there a
reasonable expectation that it might work loose?

Thanks.

Yes.
The vibration and cyclic loading of the post can free them.
Not always but well worth a daily shot of penetrant and some miles.
Leave the bolt out and cross your fingers!

Might sing soprano after it let go all of a sudden :-)

Its seriously stuck, it'll probably need a lot of twisting to shift it at
all once it starts to loosen.

If I still had a welder, I'd weld a lever arm to it so I could apply enough
force.

If it is an aluminum seat post in a steel frame and you can't budge it
with a, oh say 24 inch pipe wrench, after a few days of penetrating
oil then it probably won't come out without some serious attention.

I once spent nearly a week to make a boring bar and boring out a stuck
seat tube after all else failed however after reading the Internet I
discovered that dissolving the aluminum tube using lye would have been
much easier :-)

Try https://www.sheldonbrown.com/stuck-seatposts.html
--
Cheers,

John B.

Old September 15th 17, 07:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ian Field

"Joerg" wrote in message
On 2017-09-14 10:42, AMuzi wrote:
[...]

No aluminium - and I wouldn't want a glob of corrosive **** running down
into the BB bracket if there was.

Old September 16th 17, 03:30 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

On Fri, 15 Sep 2017 19:59:27 +0100, "Ian Field"
wrote:

.. .

"Joerg" wrote in message
On 2017-09-14 10:42, AMuzi wrote:
[...]

You are supposed to disassemble the bicycle before you start :-(

From the Internet:

As a strong alkali, sodium hydroxide will attack and dissolve the
following metals: Tin, Aluminum, zinc, cadmium - behaves closely
enough to zinc. It will also attack chromium plating and copper,
although ammonia is far better at dissolving copper:

The reaction with those metals releases hydrogen gas.

Sodium hydroxide will not react with iron or steel, in fact the
alkaline conditions will not allow rust to grow;
--
Cheers,

John B.

Old September 16th 17, 07:40 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ian Field

"John B." wrote in message
On Fri, 15 Sep 2017 19:59:27 +0100, "Ian Field"
wrote:

. ..

"Joerg" wrote in message
On 2017-09-14 10:42, AMuzi wrote:
[...]

Like removing the seat post - which is what I couldn't do to start